Blackout blinds attachment ideas?

Simon F

Visit site
Hello all sailors,

There seems no obvious way to secure blackout blinds/panels to the two windows in my boat's cabin. I reckon I can make some panels easily enough, but they won't click into the frames and I'd prefer not to glue anything to the frames if there's a better way. Suction cups like the baby shades you can get for cars maybe? Velcro? Magnets? Any thoughts for something simple and convenient would be very helpful. Thanks Simon.

srm

Visit site
A pic would help us visualise the problem. My first though was velcro, but that needs one side glueing to the frame or cabin side, unless the cabin side is lined with something like carpet. Likewise magnets need something to attach to unless your cabin is steel. Looks like suction pads or fitting expensive boat blinds.
Or, just get used to sleeping with the curtains open - we had to in Shetland and further north where it never got fully dark for a couple of months or more across mid summer.

Refueler

Visit site
My SR25 ... has curtain dowels top and bottom ... so they are held top and bottom against the cabin sides.

HDdLWoyl.jpg

As does my 38ft (thin curtains though ... )

Bw5mbP4l.jpg

Simon F

Visit site
I think I've managed to post pics at the second attempt. Simon.

Attachments

• IMG_2070.jpeg
    IMG_2070.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2071.jpeg
    IMG_2071.jpeg
    33 KB · Views: 14

onesea

Visit site
It depends on how clean looking you want to go.

We don't often use curtains, at anchor little point. They are difficult to attach, attract dirty and are more to clean.

We started with cheap black outcloth cut to size, that was held on by static (a little water spray before putting up). Cheap and effective however we got condensation.

Then came plan B, bubble foil insulation cut to shape, no more condensation (except a little on the frames). Held in by the lip shape of the frame.

Attachments

• IMG_20240701_181424_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240701_181424_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15