bit of an accident

NorthernWave

Visit site
Friday before last as we were heading across chi bar there was a loud bang and what sounded like gravel on the hull of the boat, the engines both stalled and I thought we'd run aground???

What had actually happened was the flybridge switch for the anchor had shorted out sending the anchor down at a fair rate (why the lock didn't stop it I still don't know?)

The boat seems to be running fine and handling fine but since the above I fear we are taking on water..... slowly but we are. Now I do have the generator in bits at the moment but am fairly sure that isn't were its coming from??

Think I might pull her out and do her antifouling early this year?

Might be a large insurance claim coming up?? (hope not!!)

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>Logged Sea Miles wanted for masters. Send PM if your on south coast and want skipper or crew.

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
For the price of craning it out, and being as you could anti-foul at the same time, I would certainly do that. Loud bangs, scraping sounds, stalled engines (presumably large engines at that) and leaks don't sound like small beer to me.

The other thing is that to get the best enjoyment from your boat, you need to have confidence in it when out at sea. Looking it over and having anything fixed will restore that. Let us all know what happens - we're a nosey lot!

<hr width=100% size=1>Madoc Yacht Club
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk>http://www.madocyachtclub.co.uk</A>

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Doesn't sound too good, but don't you tie the anchor off rather than just relying on the winch?

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Had a few experiences of anchor becoming untied. Pin thats through a hole in it, coming out. Then anchor swinging about. Usually happens when rounding Start point or other nasty place. No chance of going on deck to sort it out.

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

NorthernWave

Visit site
There is a bar that goes into groves on the side of the winch but for some reason it didn't stay in place? A bit concerned why? I now leave the fuse tripped out when not using it.

The water coming in seems to just be were the shaft goes through the hull, I checked the bilge and everywhere seems ok and very dry in fact bar the centre rear section. Might don a wetsuit and goggles at the weekend and check below, props etc.

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>Logged Sea Miles wanted for masters. Send PM if your on south coast and want skipper or crew.

jfm

Visit site
NW, I think you need a mechanical anchor lock, dont rely just on a circuit breaker. The windlass clutch could fail, for example. A lanyard with small snapshackle that attaches to anchor chain links would be good, freaxmple. I know its a bit of a pain having to go down to foredeck and release it, when supping G+T on flybridge, but necessary imho

It seems unlikely your leak could be linked with anchor incident. Even if you were going very fast and the anchor dropped down, it seems unlikely to me that it would hit the stern gear. The weight of the anchor should make it keep enough fall enough to miss the gear. Or do others know better - would the anchor hit the sterngear (eek!)?

<hr width=100% size=1>

NorthernWave

Visit site
My theory was that the achor got a grip and the chain may have hit the shafts and rudders. It was on Chi bar so the water wasn't very deep (in fact it was a very low tide).

Not sure that happened anymore, I will see at the weekend when I go diving.

Chris

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Depends on the speed he was doing. I've heard of a near sinking involving a motor boat running over it's own anchor chain at speed after the winch had let go. Even at slow speed, the chain is going damage the hull
The consequences don't bear thinking about, frankly. There's not only the possibility of the winch clutch failing but also accidental operation as well. Personally I double up on my boat with both a lock pin and a rope/shackle even though SWMBO complains like hell when we're anchoring
I dont really understand how Northern Wave's accident happened anyway. How can a tripped circuit breaker cause the winch to let go?

<hr width=100% size=1>

NorthernWave

Visit site
Mike you misunderstood me. The circuit breaker wasn't tripped but I now leave it out as a precaution. The anchor dropped because the anchor SWITCH on the flybridge got water in it and shorted causing the winch to operate, why the grip thingy didn't stop it dropping I don't know but I will take some advice as given earlier to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Chris

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Sorry, I misunderstood

<hr width=100% size=1>