Bilge pump dilemma

fisherman

Visit site

Clydewanderer

Visit site
Hi Nck its been a long time! Hope u are well. Have u considered fitting a pump outwith the bilge area altogether, such as a jabsco 1" and just run the suction hose into the sump and use a Eco switch. It works for me.
Cw

zoidberg

Visit site
Our previous boat had a very deep, narrow bilge that went right down into the long keel under the cockpit. Rather than lower a centrifugal pump into the inaccessible depths, I used an electric diaphragm pump mounted in a locker with a hose reaching down into the bilge. Might this be an option?

Pete

I have a similar 'topography' and am wondering how best to arrange it. There are two smaller Whale e-pumps, one with a float switch, and I've acquired a rather larger Whale 9000 with much more 'grunt'. Its base diameter precludes getting it down into the bottom of the deep sump, so I'm thinking of having that as as a 'manual switch' facility, but stepped on some form of platform.

Has anyone experience to share re partially-filling such deep bilges, and what with?

TheBoat

Visit site
Nic, hi
If you check out most marine loos you will see that they are (mostly) equiped with anti syphon gadgets. Now thinking latterly one might consider running a pipe from said bilge up through the cabin and thence outboard into the the sea. A bit of duct tape will hold the pipe against the side of the boat thus making sure that the end is always well below the waterline. Hey voila, the bilge in question will always be equalised with the waterline thus preventing sinking. (if you need any more advice please dont hesitate to ask)
regardss
Bruce

Last edited:

sailygirl

Visit site
How effective is the gulper in emptying the bilge, and do you get much flow back from the pipe into the bilge once the pump has switched off?
This is an old thread but I am hoping you are still watching. I have a 220 whale for the shower drain and. Javsco 37202 for the main bilge. Thinking of replacing the jabsco with another whale 220 as an independent bilge pump and as a second independent bilge pump, adding a y connector to split the hoses so I can either drain the shower or pump the bilge ice. Any thoughts on both. Is the 220 suitable as a bilge pump? Draws 14 ltrs per hour. Thanks

gregcope

Visit site
I believe the 220 is the smaller version of the 320. I have a 320 that works well. Will need a switch.

They are not submersible so mount them higher than the bottom of the bilge. You will need to fit the drain valve to stop any back draining and also mount the 2nd exit with anti siphon loop.

Having a Y switch should work. Running the pipe work might be complex and also reduce flow a little.

Instead of a 2nd Gulper style pump I brought a high capacity submersible pump. Logic being if I needed another pump, it might need to be a really big one!

gregcope

Visit site
Oh and my 320 does a decent job of emptying the bilge. As good as most other pumps. All pumps will leave a bit.

harvey38

Visit site
A slight thread drift but does anyone know of a simple 12v counter to monitor the amount of times the bilge pump has triggered?

Refueler

Visit site
One of the old posts says Seaflo have bad reputation ..... interesting .... I have 3 Seaflo's set up with my boats and they work excellently - the only thing I found that caused them to fail - leaving them in the bilge in winter when all freezes ..... they don't like that when auto kicks in and pump is frozen solid !

Having replaced those I forgot !! I only have to lift out pump at winter ... and then give the impellor a manual turn by hand before putting back into service in spring ... the shaft tends to bind ... but once wetted again ... all's well.

geem

Visit site
We are planning to let this boat out on AirBnB occasionally, so it needs to be fairly idiot-proof. An auto bilge pump of some sort seems a no-brainer.

- W
Does the boat need to be coded for that? How does that impact on your insurance?