Big fish!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Have just returned from second diving trip of the year having brought up a 55lb angler fish (otherwise known as a monk fish). Not had many of these before, prevoius best was 45lbs about 7 years ago.

The bugger struggled a bit, refused to go in my goody bag, generally stirred up the shit on the sea bed and was bloody awkward to bring to the surface.

Made a good feature at a scallop party that my dive buddy and his wife held this evening, left slime everywhere. The mouth on this fish is enormous, certainly big enough put 3 or 4 large cans of beer in it with space to spare.

It's good fun this diving lark!

claymore

Visit site
Thought we were going to get another rig story there of divers being anally invaded by 300lb Moray eels or something
Still reeling from the story of the man who fell down the hole
JohnS

Sans Signature

ccscott49

Visit site
Don't start me off, or I'll tell you about the 350lb grouper I speared under the sea loading island off Ras Tanura, Saudi, I went water sking at 60', couldnt get the bloody safety linne off my wrist! Didn't realise the bastard was so big, the spear just annoyed him! Zoooooooom

stefan_r

athito.home.services.spaces.live.com
Re: Deco times and flying

planning on a trip soon and am aware of the no fly rule for 12 hours and up to 24 hours AFTER last dive (dependant on dive profile)....was chatting to a mate who suggested that the rule also applies BEFORE first dive when getting off the plane - (i.e. sit in hotel for 12+ hours after getting off plane) new one on me, had you any thoughts?

mailto: stefan@athito.com

piratequeen

Visit site
what happened next?

did you eat it or sell it? Is that the same kind of monkfish you spend a fortune in the fishmongers or restaurants? Should be worth a bit.

poter

Still going south currently in Corsica for winter
www.fairhead.com
Re: Deco times and flying

Yup not a laid down rule but a good idea......

You have been traverling at approx 2 to 3 thousand meters ( even though cabin pressurised ) therefore when you land you will be back at 1 atm. and will be taking up nitrogen into bod. until saturation so if you dive befor your body has reached equilibrium your dive computer will give you an incorrect dive profile. In other words at 10mts. you will actualy be @ approx 2 atm + whatever ( its quite late and my maths is cranky ) The problem is worse if you are overweight and very old like myself. fat is a slow tissue and increases amount of Nitrogen retained in body and advancing years tends to slow down circulation so again more predisposed to retention of Nitrogen

Sorry but no alcohol either befor diving as alcohol accelerates circulation and causes tissue to pick up higher amounts of Nitrogen during a dive.

So take it easy and enjoy.

of course it don't apply to us experienced divers!!!!

poter.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Re: what happened next?

Too bloody big for me to deal with, apart from which I've brought them home before and don't really rate them, although it costs a fortune in the fishmongers. It now resides in a local pub - should pay for a good few beers!!

More to my liking is the 10 lb salmon caught by a local fisherman on its way up the river, tastes absolutely delicious, have just had my fourth meal off it and still plenty left - much better than the farmed stuff, totally different colour, flavour and texture. Seafood diet, that's what I like!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Lobster

Don't worry Tomo, last one I saw I explained to him how to get to Looe, promised to drop off a chart so he wouldn't get lost, along with your phone no so you could go down and pick him up once he'd arrived!

ccscott49

Visit site

Nothing quite beats the flavour of wild salmon, if you smoke wild salmon, you find it so different from the farmed muck, you may never eat farmed stuff again! I don't, just wait for it to come into season.

DepSol

Visit site

I know what you mean I have caught an eaten Salmon from that river and it was lovely actually better than the Salmon I caught and ate in Scotland.

dom