Big enough for a bath?

sailaboutvic

Visit site

roblpm

Visit site
Checking it up .
When people ask me what I miss the most from not living in uk I say 2 things.
My grandchildren and a bath .
My partner lives in Bogota Colombia where baths are pretty rare. She just rented a new flat that has a bath. Only problem is now she is having problems getting bubble bath as nowhere sells it.... ? I will take my own when I go in February.

jdc

Visit site
...When people ask me what I miss the most from not living in uk I say 2 things: My grandchildren and a bath .

When I retired and we went sailing full time I found myself answering the same question, also with 2 things: 'a job', and 'wearing a tie'. It dawned on me that we better turn back for home, where, settled in Cornwall, I've started another business. Still sailing lots 'tho. Takes all sorts....

sailaboutvic

Visit site
When I retired and we went sailing full time I found myself answering the same question, also with 2 things: 'a job', and 'wearing a tie'. It dawned on me that we better turn back for home, where, settled in Cornwall, I've started another business. Still sailing lots 'tho. Takes all sorts....
I worn two suite in my life time once when I got married and when my son got married :) .
Given up living on board as Never entered my mine and they be carrying me off in a box.
but we have spend the last few weeks while in the UK seeking houses on the net.
The big question is , is the the begin of the end?
Or is it just bordness being on land?

Laminar Flow

Visit site
My last boat, a fifty footer, came with a full size tub in the master's ensuite. I promptly cut it up with a grinder and removed it. Never missed it.

Friends had a sit-down tub in their 43'. Sailed to the South Pacific, never used it.

The Pardeys had one on Talessin, 30'; removed it and put in an engine instead.

While a lot of people may like the idea, on a cruising boat it is really not all that practical and a real waste of water.

Neeves

Visit site
Its not only a waste of water - but how are you going to heat sufficient water to make the bath a pleasure? Hot showers, on a yacht, are easy as long as there are not too many wanting the shower. You can save water by showering together (you can tell people's ages by how much pleasure they get from the idea and the putting it into practice. :) ) but baths are different, by a long way.

But in your opening post you suggested you were going to invest in the item in the link - how did that work?

Jonathan

PlanB

Visit site
I worn two suite in my life time once when I got married and when my son got married :) .
Given up living on board as Never entered my mine and they be carrying me off in a box.
but we have spend the last few weeks while in the UK seeking houses on the net.
The big question is , is the the begin of the end?
Or is it just bordness being on land?
Circumstances meant I stopped living aboard in Spain and moved into a house in Surrey.
It's a different life, but I am very happy.
I miss being in close contact with whatever weather is happening, being on the water and sitting with a drink at sunset, looking at the sea.
On the other hand, It's really good having a dishwasher and washing machine.
Voluntary work and various hobbies mean that boredom doesn't set in.
I thought I'd get back to having a proper bath, but find I now prefer showers.

stranded

Visit site
We had a nosey around one of the first Discovery 55s at SBS many moons ago and the lady (owner?) who showed us around spent an awful long time selling the fact that the cockpit doubled as a whirlpool bath to my wife. It was also the first time I heard about the twistle rig.

greeny

Visit site
Circumstances meant I stopped living aboard in Spain and moved into a house in Surrey.
It's a different life, but I am very happy.
I miss being in close contact with whatever weather is happening, being on the water and sitting with a drink at sunset, looking at the sea.
On the other hand, It's really good having a dishwasher and washing machine.
Voluntary work and various hobbies mean that boredom doesn't set in.
I thought I'd get back to having a proper bath, but find I now prefer showers.
You sound like my wife except for the bath bit. :)
Its not only a waste of water - but how are you going to heat sufficient water to make the bath a pleasure? Hot showers, on a yacht, are easy as long as there are not too many wanting the shower. You can save water by showering together (you can tell people's ages by how much pleasure they get from the idea and the putting it into practice. :) ) but baths are different, by a long way.

But in your opening post you suggested you were going to invest in the item in the link - how did that work?

Jonathan
I doubt it now for all the reasons you post. It seemed like a good idea at the time but even if it fits in the cockpit on a 20ft boat, I couldn't sensibly carry the water let alone heat it.
I'm still in UK at the moment and its on Amazon Spain so I've deferred the final decision till I get back to Portugal.
I have a feeling that not even a bath will get her long distancing again so it would probably end up in the garden as a toy for the grandkids if I did buy one.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Years ago I had a bath in my Hurley 22! I just plugged the cockpit drains and filled the cockpit with water. Was fun to do once, rather than a regular practical solution (at least in the UK's climate).

I've heard tell of this 'hot water' thing that some above have referred to, but was given to understand that use of this risked rotting of one's moral fibre.

penfold

Visit site
Most AWBs and even MABs can have one of those, just line the cockpit with a cheap tarpaulin and fill with water.
Years ago I had a bath in my Hurley 22! I just plugged the cockpit drains and filled the cockpit with water. Was fun to do once, rather than a regular practical solution (at least in the UK's climate).

I've heard tell of this 'hot water' thing that some above have referred to, but was given to understand that use of this risked rotting of one's moral fibre.