Big deck/coachroof refurb

Kelpie

Visit site
With some trepidation, I am beginning to plan a major amount of work on the whole deck and coachroof area of my boat. Eek!

She is GRP with plentiful treadmaster on both deck and coachroof. It's in poor condition and I hate the stuff anyway so want to remove it and end up with a Kiwigrip finish. But I also have a shallow and next to useless anchor locker that I would like to remove, as it cuts into the forecabin headroom.

So it looks like I should do the following:
- Strip off every deck fitting
- Remove the treadmaster
- Cut out the well of the anchor locker, and use glass tape and epoxy to seal the locker lid in place on the deck. I'll need to remake the headlining underneath obviously.
- Any improperly made holes in the deck need to be filled and re-drilled
- Final pre-painting sand of the whole area
- Mask up the areas that are to be non slip, and paint these with Kiwigrip
- Paint the remaining areas with Toplac
- Refit all the deck fittings using butyl tape

It seems like a big job when you write it out like that. I'm thinking of starting on this at the end of the summer, doing the bulk of the work over the winter, and then finishing up with the painting in the spring. I'm going to get quotes for getting the boat into a shed but I don't know if I'm going to be able to stretch to that, at least not for the kind of time that I would need.

Any thoughts, encouragement, words of wisdom from those who have been here?

Last edited:

aztec

Visit site
Hi, i feel your pain.

did this job on my sunseeker with balsa core. I cut it out from the inside, all of it, the whole deckhead..used an electric disc cutter and a decent mask/goggles and a suit. that dust will get everywhere! then replaced the balsa core with closed cell polyurethane sheet from a builders merchant. i was tempted to use the 2 pack pour in stuff but after trying it on another boat decided against it as it just keeps expanding, and will eventually deform the deck if used over large areas. then fixed all the holes and re-glassed the inner., finally cutting new panels out of ply and covering in vinyl.

hell of a job, but well worth it.

Dukester52

Visit site
Way beyond my pay grade... but you may find 'Sail Life' on YouTube educational: 'Mads'[?] has been replacing his deck, and vlogging it all weekly, for a few months.