Beta 35 won't rev, hunts just over tickover.

GHA

Visit site
Mmmm from what you describe it sounds like the fuel is being 'held' back by a blockage or 'airlock' to the extent that sufficient gets through to start and tick over but insufficient to supply increased demand as when you have 'disturbed' the fuel system you get a short period of relatively normal running. It would be good if you could supply filtered fuel direct to the outlet of the secondary filter housing point as a proof to see if the engine would run when given sufficient fuel.

not sure what this means..'After rerouting the return to film'.......'film'?
At the moment the day tank is connected to the engine fuel input, which goes straight to the lift pump/ secondary fuel filter, with just enough gravity that it free flows when the bleed screw is undone. What about putting a facet pump between day tank & filter? Would that damage the lift pump?
Ah, let's cut out the lift pump... worth a try.
Maybe in the morning I'll transfer some diesel into a bottle or something & hang that above the secondary just to try that first. Weather coming but think I`ve got tomorrow free before having to run away from here, to somewhere.... . There's a "what would you do.." 😂 Enginless anchored in Sagres, Portugal.. easterlies coming...😱
"After rerouting the return to film'.......'film'?" That was disconnecting the fuel return to film with the phone to show how much was coming out.
Thanks for your help, solo engineless always feels a bit close to the edge. Least it runs a bit, better than not at all.

lumphammer

Visit site
Could there be some gunge in the tank that is getting sucked into the fuel pick up pipe when the engine revs, Then drops out again when the revs drop back to idle.

GHA

Visit site
It would be good if you could supply filtered fuel direct to the outlet of the secondary filter housing point as a proof to see if the engine would run when given sufficient fuel.
LIFT PUMP!!!
Just connected a facet style pump from day tank to the input of the secondary filter bypassing the lift pump, early days but it all felt *much* better. Gave a good long blast flat out in reverse & it sounded like it should. Phew, well hopefully phew, will have a blast round the anchorage tomorrow to gain some confidence back. Thanks, prob would have got there (assuming it does work) on my own eventually but you certainly helped keeping logical about it, cheers. 👍👍

greeny

Visit site
In answer to your "what would you do" question.
Give it a couple of hours tomorrow and if not sorted then head back to Alvor or preferably Portimao and get inside the breakwater there. Plenty of space to drop anchor under sail there and get into shelter before the worst on Monday.

GHA

Visit site
In answer to your "what would you do" question.
Give it a couple of hours tomorrow and if not sorted then head back to Alvor or preferably Portimao and get inside the breakwater there. Plenty of space to drop anchor under sail there and get into shelter before the worst on Monday.
No wind tomorrow so had planned to get out of here first thing monday then beat back to Portimao, 25 gusting 30 on the nose so not great but not the worst, gusting over 35 on the way here. Might do that anyway just to get rid of those blimmin spiders 😂 Lovely here today, would be hell with surfers in easterlies! 1691268544639.png

greeny

Visit site
Is that you in the picture inside the islands? Right where the winsurfing will be in easterlies. Try white vinegar in water mix in a spray bottle for the spiders. But not in 35 knots.:sneaky:

graham

Visit site
Great to hear your success.
Out of interest what is the difference between a facet pump and just a fuel pump.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
LIFT PUMP!!!
Just connected a facet style pump from day tank to the input of the secondary filter bypassing the lift pump, early days but it all felt *much* better. Gave a good long blast flat out in reverse & it sounded like it should. Phew, well hopefully phew, will have a blast round the anchorage tomorrow to gain some confidence back. Thanks, prob would have got there (assuming it does work) on my own eventually but you certainly helped keeping logical about it, cheers. 👍👍

If it's the cylindrical facet, there's a filter in the base which could either be small paper cartridge or, metal mesh. They can block very quickly (as I found out) so best to install after the primary filter.

GHA

Visit site
Nope. Still the same. 😟 Ran good for a moment but very quickly lost drive & wouldn't rev. Anchor was up by this point so managed to limp round to Baleeira with engine stalling a few times, next to no wind & swell from the south so rolly. Still exposed to easterlies though.
So think it's fairly safe to assume clean fuel is getting to the injector pump, with the banjo which goes into the injector pump off & pump on a steady stream of diesel comes out. Looks clean & came from a very busy fuel dock.
Then if the engine has been off for a while it seems to rev sort of fine, sounds bit unsteady full but within a minute or so underway won't rev in gear or in neutral.
Stumped.
Temperature looks OK, this is thermometer in a lifting lug, usually just over 50deg so looks about right.
1691308192683.png
Don't want to take injector pump off here, thinking get out of here before the easterlies arrive crack of dawn tomorrow & get back to Portimao anchorage, safer & better services available.

Back story with the injector pump, sitting in a yard with engine not run for a long time, 2 of the pistons seized. This was sorted & pump tested, engine taken out & overhauled locally as well last year. Engine has 440 hours so quite new. Beta 35.

But why would an injector pump do that if it is getting fuel 🤔🤔

TIA

jamie N

Visit site
I don't know your engine, but my 1st thought from your initial post, was of air getting into the system just ahead of an injector.

GHA

Visit site
I don't know your engine, but my 1st thought from your initial post, was of air getting into the system just ahead of an injector.
checked all the nuts on injector pump & engine, tight & dry, no sign of any fuel which I assume there would be given the high pressure? Took off each line to the injectors & seems OK, spurt spurt on to some kitchen towel.

GHA

Visit site
looks like a gas station within walking distance & stressy getting round here but at least can get ashore, maybe should get some fresh diesel just to be sure. But then why would the engine rev if off for a while then get worse?

greeny

Visit site
On the plus side, the weather doesn't look as though it'll be quite as bad as yesterday's forecast. But no wind at the moment to get you back to Portimao till after lunch. Will the engine keep running in gear on tickover or just above? It may be worth leaving and get some miles under the belt on engine if you can. Hope you get it sorted. I'm not a mechanic so I'm not making suggestions engine wise but it does seem coincidental that you filled with fresh fuel and then the problems started. If you could get fresh fuel and rig a feed from that, it would rule out the fuel quality as a cause. Maybe best done back at Portimao though. I'm in UK right now so can't offer much help directly but if you do go back to portimao and need a mechanic you could get hold of Vasille and he can get a mechanic for you. Try to get Rom, New Zealander. Best around in my experience.

ean_p

Visit site
Morning, In answer to your question there are many reasons as to why a defective HP pump would / could cause running issues on your engine. I'm not familiar with your engine but usually it is within the pump that the metering etc is made that effectively controls the speed and power you get from your engine, this again usually done mechanically by a governor of some description housed within the pump assembly along with the 'stop' valve that will effectively starve the engine of fuel. So a lot that can and does go awry. But I'm reading your posts and take from it that changing the 'fuel delivery' path has had a marked impact / improvement on the running, though not yet a satisfactory one.....would that be right to say? If so then I'm still not convinced we've bottomed the delivery. Where is the facet pump drawing from and if its the 'daytank' are you sure the tank is always open to atmosphere and not airlocking or that the pick up in it isn't intermittently choked by something in there? But first if I was you I'd take any window that you have to get yourself somewhere safe that you can play with this thing at leisure. Good luck!

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Something in the bottom of the tank that is flapping/slopping around. Runs OK for a while then the fuel return causes turbulence in the tank and the flappy thing obstructs or partially obstructs the exit from the tank. Of course, this is a useless explanation as you are using a day tank, but heyho. Could be a partial blockage in the fuel return pipe?

Or - some imbalance/blockage in the exhaust system that likewise is OK until a steady pressure builds up, then something happens. It is obviously something that only happens after initial start-up and when a load is applied. Porous elbow?

Probably not powdered egg!

Good luck,

- W

Beneteau381

Visit site
"Throttle sets revs, governors set amount of fuel according to LOAD.
So no load, not much fuel needed and it will rev, put load on and it doesn’t rev means lack of fuel.
Also hi pressure pump governor rack could be sticking but VERY unlikely.

If return is blocked it will mean lack of fuel as well. Interesting the spurt? Could mean return blockage? Pressure building up and no return.

You seem to have checked all so now go drastic
Get a can, clean fuel, put suction directly from injector pump in and return pipes directly in as well so no places for blockages and see if it works.

Interesting as well that disturbing the return pipe let it work for a short while.
Check the stack pipe suction in the tank, sometimes a gauze filter there gets blocked. Also check injector pump inlet, sometimes gauze filter there."

My reply by email an hour or so ago,

"