Beta 20 overheating

kevsbox

www.kevsbox.com
Hi All
After 3 long runs over the last month I fired up the engine last night to just check all was still good. At first everything weas fine, water pushing out the back nicely and no smoke or leaks.
Then after 15 mins the overheating alarm and light burst into life, because I could still see plenty of water and no sign of smoke from the exhaust I assumed the issue was with the internal fresh water.

So after switching off I noticed the area around the thermostat was very hot
1718867294856.png
but around the cooler was cool
1718867420749.png

So I open her up and found some pink sludge in there

1718867347029.png

1718867369057.png

So I cleaned this up and topped up the water/antifreeze mix. Then I fired up the engine and after 30 mins no alarm.
This is the anto-freeze mix I am using.
1718867519768.png

Is this a correct one for a Beta Marine 20? If not what do people suggest please/
Also it states ready to use so I am ussuming I do not need to add water, or am I wrong?

wrr

Visit site
The anticorrosives in antifreeze are changing from inorganic silicates to organic acids, which have a longer life, in keeping with the long-life engine oils. Your engine may have been filled with silicate antifreeze (usually blue) in the past. If the antifreeze was changed to the modern OAT (often pink) antifreeze without the system being flushed free of the silicate antifreeze, this may have resulted in the formation of gel-like precipitates in the fresh water side of the cooling system. Personally, I would flush the system thoroughly and then use whatever antifreeze you choose, either pre-mixed as shown or made up from concentrate (40%) and distilled water.

Boater Sam

Visit site
I would drain and flush the engine using a descaling agent followed by several freshwater flushes. Then replace the antifreeze with your choice.
The precipitation you have found will be everywhere in the waterways and will move around eventually blocking the smaller passages.
Mixing different based antifreeze is the cause and is to be avoided.
Check your pump impellers !

paris

Visit site
Take the heat exchanger out and clean, I did my friends one with him as a precaution and it was 40% blocked but not overheating.

Habebty

Visit site
You can download the full engine handbook for the BD722 from the Beta website. It gives the correct antifreeze/water ratio which can affect engine temperature. But as stated, check the heat exchanger. The end cap bolts and O rings are consumables, I have had an end cap bolt shear but was easily extracted and replaced with correct bronze bolt. Bit of a cocktail of metals in there so keep on top of the engine anode condition.

Beneteau381

Visit site
Thanks all, I have recently cleaned the heat exchanger but I will have another look just in case. Lesson learned on the antifreeze.
People must make sure they take the bundle out, mixing OAT with glycol based produces as others have said, a sludge on the outside of the tubes. That cost my mate in Portugal over $10,000 euros! The main dealer skimmed the head along with other stuff that wasn’t needed etc to cure over heating!