Best way to the coast from Lincoln? Trent>Humber vs Witham>Wash?

adhdan

Visit site
As title suggests, im after a coastal cruiser, based at Lincoln & wondering what pros/cons are to get to the coast. Ive been down to Boston in my current boat but its not suitable for coastal so turned around and came back. Im guessing the wash isnt very boat friendly & the Humber is a bit hectic.
Newbie on the water, ive been up & down the Trent & Witham in a little cruiser a few times and that's about it. I know it takes the day to reach Boston from Burton waters, not sure how long it takes out via the Trent>Humber, guessing its much quicker as you can go faster?

Seastoke

Visit site
As title suggests, im after a coastal cruiser, based at Lincoln & wondering what pros/cons are to get to the coast. Ive been down to Boston in my current boat but its not suitable for coastal so turned around and came back. Im guessing the wash isnt very boat friendly & the Humber is a bit hectic.
Newbie on the water, ive been up & down the Trent & Witham in a little cruiser a few times and that's about it. I know it takes the day to reach Boston from Burton waters, not sure how long it takes out via the Trent>Humber, guessing its much quicker as you can go faster?
I thought you was trail boating.

adhdan

Visit site
I thought you was trail boating.
That is the plan, but i havent been all the way out yet down either route so id like to do it. When its no longer fun i'll launch somewhere else.
I use the slipway at BW's, its cheap enough and stays open 24/7 so i can haul out anytime & parking on site

Last edited:

Momac

Visit site
I suggest a trip to Hull via the Trent as a first trip onto salty water .
The Humber isn't hectic but you may well encounter ships and the trip needs planning with respect to tides.

snowbird30ds

Norfolk broads based, coast when time allows.
Visit site
The wash is ok in good weather and from lincoln out via boston is the obvious choice, you have to lock out to tidal either way and need enough water in the trent when you get into the lower reaches so also has limitations, better info on the east coast forum.
If you go via humber have a list of vhf channels to monitor and where as VTS changes as you go down river, also up to date charts as it changes very regularly, for non tidal to sea boston is the quicker route and much less commercial traffic.

adhdan

Visit site
The wash is ok in good weather and from lincoln out via boston is the obvious choice, you have to lock out to tidal either way and need enough water in the trent when you get into the lower reaches so also has limitations, better info on the east coast forum.
If you go via humber have a list of vhf channels to monitor and where as VTS changes as you go down river, also up to date charts as it changes very regularly, for non tidal to sea boston is the quicker route and much less commercial traffic.
Is there deeper lanes in the wash that are marked?

adhdan

Visit site
I suggest a trip to Hull via the Trent as a first trip onto salty water .
The Humber isn't hectic but you may well encounter ships and the trip needs planning with respect to tides.
how shallow does the Trent & Humber get during low tide? are we talking mudflats or is it still open for smaller boats to pass

WoodyP

Visit site
From Boston there are well bouyed channels, but at high water you can get over the sands. In calm weather it's quite pleasant to dry out and enjoy the beach that appears. I like the Wash.

Simi

Visit site
Planning your trip to hull from newark very important don’t be at Trent falls at low water you will be aground go with the tides you will have to wait at maybe Gainsborough for a few hours it’s a big day leave early

adhdan

Visit site
Thankyou for the info.

I measured up last night, 40miles from Lincoln out into the wash, 80 miles from Lincoln out through Humber . Surprised me . I thought there was less in it than that.

nortada

Visit site
From Lincoln to Wash is the simplest route.

Only one, self manned, lock (Bardney) and no tidal water until you lock out at Boston. This lock is manned and you will be advised when to leave. The tidal channel from Boston is well marked to the Freeman Channel and the open sea.

For your return to Boston you have to judge your arrival time; too early and you will arrive before the tide when there is no water.

Good non-tidal moorings in the Witham, just before the lock so you can have a look at the situation and chat with the lock keeper before departing.

Momac

Visit site
As said you don't want to be on the lower part of the Trent below Keadby at low tide .
I did that once and survived but never again.