Best time (early season) in Ionian

Visit site
Hoping to sail out Lefkas next year and have the choice of the last week of April or the first 2 weeks of May. (Though flights from Manchester seem extortionate and at inconvenient times ?).

Would you think there would be any appreciable change in the weather in that time frame? Not too bothered about the temperature but would like to avoid the storms if possible..

Piece of string question I know..

Davy_S

Visit site
I would pick the first two weeks of May, plus all the tavernas will be up and running. You can get a bit of thunder and lightning, but it is usually over quickly.

Last edited:

Hacker

Visit site
Been there on both those dates sailing with SailIonian. Other than ensuring that all the Tavernas are open I don’t think there is any difference (normal weather variation over a few weeks makes it impossible to see any real difference).

Davy_S

Visit site
From Manchester Jet2 offer the best flights (early) 6.30 ish 3rd May, sleazyjet flights go later 3pm ish.
we were on Kefalonia this May, it was wall to wall sunshine around 26/28 degrees.

Clancy Moped

Visit site
I would avoid Easter personally.

2023 14 Apr Fri Orthodox Good Friday
16 Apr Sun Orthodox Easter Sunday
17 Apr Mon Orthodox Easter Monday

xyachtdave

Visit site
We've just come back from a Neilson Holiday in Levkas, decent wind not too hot etc. We've already booked for the end of May 2023 flying home on the bank holiday weekend.

I can honestly report it's the best holiday we've ever had, our Dufour 325, which even with charter spec sails went really well.

We did a quick google of historic weather for the same dates in previous years before booking, end of May looking like 25 degrees and sun, odd bit of rain if you’re unlucky.

I think July and August would be both too hot and too busy for me.

Gixer

Visit site
We've just come back from a Neilson Holiday in Levkas
I think July and August would be both too hot and too busy for me.

If you did a flotilla was your lead skipper Lissie?

We‘ve been six times to Ionian now at different times of the year. Too early and the kids complain that the sea is too cold, start/middle of the summer is way too busy. We find, last week in August first week in September is best, the Italians have gone home and everything is that little bit quieter. its hot in the day but cools a bit a night so sleeping is fine.
Don‘t tell anyone!

xyachtdave

Visit site
Yes we had Meg, Lizzie and Lewis who was the engineer, there was a Lottie on our Flotilla also who was doing training. I was expecting grumpy old timers shouting a lot, not the cool kids running it!

I thought second week of September was busy, we were sailing everywhere, everyone else appears to motor flat out to their next destination to get a spot, it must be nuts in the summer.

That's the beauty of the flotilla, we take our time, enjoy the sailing and the girls have sorted the parking arrangements!

They really were ace.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Have been in the Sporades in the first two weeks in May. Having stayed in an anchorage not too far from the charter base the first night, we fled back to the base for the second night when a storm was forecast. Water was too cold for me, but not for others. (That's not unusual?). Apart from that, everything was as you would wish for.

Airscrew

Visit site
We have a yacht and have sailed that area 2 or 3 times a year for 6 or so years.

Between last week April and 1st two weeks of May, any weather difference is simply variability.
Who knows?
Many yachts go back into the water early April, and April is typically high pressure, blue and calm.

For me, the decision would be about food.
Fewer tavernas will be open in April.
In May, just about all of them.

Whatever you do, have a great time.
Probably see you there!!

PS.
If you end up in little Vathy, Meganisi, we now much prefer the Rose Garden (locals) to Stavros' (tourists).