Best small boat for 2 people? MK 2

chockswahay

Visit site
Quite a while back I asked a advice regarding choice of boat to buy. On that occasion I said 27 ft or so, long keel, lines led back, traditional style etc.....

Now then, what would you say if I said how about a good seaworthy boat under 30 ft under 30 years old..............strong.........sea kindly.........simple..........tiller........go anywhere.....under £30000?

I like the idea of long keel for stability etc but like fin keel (fin and skeg?) for speed.

Needs to be capable of going off shore, mostly West coast of Scotland.

Everyone has an opinion, care to share?

Chox

Last edited:

FullCircle

Visit site
Someone will be along to say: Albin Vega.

At least 2 that I know of on the West Coast, both Forumites.

yoda

Visit site
Quite a while back I asked a advice regarding choice of boat to buy. On that occasion I said 27 ft or so, long keel, lines led back, traditional style etc.....

Now then, what would you say if I said how about a good seaworthy boat under 30 ft under 30 years old..............strong.........sea kindly.........simple..........tiller........go anywhere.....under £30000?

I like the idea of long keel for stability etc but like fin keel (fin and skeg?) for speed.

Needs to be capable of going off shore, mostly West coast of Scotland.

Everyone has an opinion, care to share?

Chox

Why under 30 years old? Boats from about 64 - 82 include some excellent examples and could leave you with a lot of change to ensure you have all the things you want along with the boat.

yoda

Seajet

Visit site
Marieholm 26 or ( slightly less chunky ) International Folk Boat; but there are loads of boats you could choose depending on how you want to do it; efficient & fast but wet, or relatively less efficient but a bit more comfortable & drier ( relatively ).

Last edited:

underdog

Visit site
Best boat for 2 people? Mk2

This has proved perfect for 2 people. An Artekno H-323
Loa 32.3 ft width 8'4" depth 4"8" weight 3.1 ton
Self tacking jib
Irc .889 : a Bandit
If this is too long I suggest a Hanse 291

Last edited:

saltylegs

Visit site
if it has to be under 30" what about a sigma 292 but we all know it should be a sigma 33 cruiser or OOD of coursse I am not biased just check my profile:D
plus you will have a LOT of change from 30K and you will have a great sailing boat.

wklein

Visit site
Excalibur 36? Long fin keel spade rudder, great offshore design and reasonably quick. Bit older than you said but everything will have been changed in that time. £26k asking and in Scotland already.

http://www.westcoastyachting.co.uk/brokerage/spingo/index.html

splash.jpg

Evadne

Visit site
Under 30 years old excludes the Elizabethans as well, which is a shame as you are describing the 29 and 30 otherwise: 29 (long keel, think 'stretched folkboat', goes well in a blow), 30 (fin and skeg, bigger, faster) and 31 (long keel, slower but bomb proof).

ianat182

Visit site
The Halmatic 30 is my choice and one for sale on www.yachtsnet at £26.5K. Ticks all the boxes including long keel and interior and no slouch when racing; one of these is on a very short list when I win the lottery.....!

ianat182

wklein

Visit site
Last edited: