Best seakeeping boat 40-48feet

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
I think the poster is asking for seakeeping in moderate seas that tend to come in the Summer afternoons. Let say a wave one to two meters.
His Princess might be okay for that, but if you want to feel king of the seas and all mighty its difficult to beat an old school boat with a Deep-Vee and central positioned engines and the like.
But these are not made anymore, and while for example a new Itama is still a couple steps above a Major Brand (fill the blanks), the old school one is still a step better.

In my experience each boat is a compromise and even when I get used to an all mighty brand I still find its weaknesses.
Weaknesses which are more important to know more then its virtues because it is those that screw you.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
My Sealine T46 has a great hull.

This is me going to Lymington in a head sea, F6 gusting 7 Thursday before last after work.

Wind was with tide which helped the sea state but even so MY Maia didn’t break a sweat. SOG 16.something STW 20.

Others say you have to have certain angles of deadrise or you won’t get out of the marina. Yet I do double the hours or more of many so my boat works for me.
if that is a Force 6 I am out in F6 every day and do it with a 2 meter tender at 20 knots and still with a smile....

Force 6 wind possibly, force 6 seas, that is not even close.
We have one on Wed, here NW which is tame compared to the NE we get in the fall.
If your Sealine (and may other boats) will do anything more then 15 without falling apart I would be surprised.
Force 6 Beaufort Wind (because F6 Douglas scale (sea) is again another ball game) is waves between 2-3.5m) average of 2 meters real height.
You hardly have two foot in that video.
Last Friday I went out in F3-4, half a meter real wave height, max of .80 m.
I was doing 22/23 knots no problems with an Airon 388 no slam etc. A ten year old Princess 54 which I overtook was doing about 15 knots was fixing the headliner, later on anchor.
So I do not know what is wrong with some of these modern boats.

Yes anything above Force 6 is crazy, but I did post a video of an Itama 54 doing seatrials at sustained speed out of Capri in Force 7 to 8 seas.
Was it pretty, not really, but it was not ugly if you understand boats and how should they run.

Portofino

Visit site
One option , trend which is growing is to take an old school deep V , be it Itama , magnum , Otam and give it a serious refit . It’s very popular with the size above ,50-60 ft . Talking the mid engined ones .
I have given my 48 ft new covers , cushions last fall and this summer a new new hull paint job . ER needed nothing . It’s the 23 degree dead rise that’s hard to give up .

Anyhow another marque take a look @ XL yachts . New ish up dates inc HT on Itama hull moulds . Thinking a 50 : The Itama 45s is an updated 40 hull a lot smaller than the older 42/48 and 46 . For interior vol a 46 = give it a re fit . A few came with Arnesons good for mid forties or cruise mid thirties - 22 degree hull .
The others magnum , Otam in the 40-50 range are a lot narrow and not as lux fit out .

DAW

Visit site
I was doing 22/23 knots no problems with an Airon 388 no slam etc. A ten year old Princess 54 which I overtook was doing about 15 knots was fixing the headliner, later on anchor.

I think you make an interesting point here about the interior build of modern boats. While many of the well-known makers still build good hulls with solid mechanical components capable of handling moderately tough conditions, the interiors have changed beyond belief and now look more like stylish apartments than boats. This inevitably means more fancy decor panels and complex multi-part headlinings stuck together with velcro and plastic clips; apartment-like cabinetry without secure, locking fasteners and storage without fiddles, which means everything slides around and falls out when the doors spring open; fancy domestic appliances which can't handle being bounced around, etc.

benjenbav

Visit site
Some years ago I had a survey job here on an almost brand new top (then) of the range centre console from a very reputable Builder which had just completed a 100 mile passage to windward from St Lucia back to Barbados - and all of the internal hull structure was shearing and failing.
The Builders sent one of their guys down here to look at the boat after I reported my findings (they had commissioned the survey) and he agreed with me as to what had happened - he arranged to have the boat shipped back to the Builders where they basically stripped it, and re-installed everything on a new hull, all under guarantee, and then shipped the boat back to the owner here.
The Builders made sure that the team who had built the original boat were the same guys who had to then dismantle it, so they could learn from their experiences.
By any chance a vessel with two hulls?

Elessar

Visit site
if that is a Force 6 I am out in F6 every day and do it with a 2 meter tender at 20 knots and still with a smile....

We have one on Wed, here NW which is tame compared to the NE we get in the fall.
If your Sealine (and may other boats) will do anything more then 15 without falling apart I would be surprised.
Force 6 Beaufort Wind (because F6 Douglas scale (sea) is again another ball game) is waves between 2-3.5m) average of 2 meters real height.

Yes anything above Force 6 is crazy, but I did post a video of an Itama 54 doing seatrials at sustained speed out of Capri in Force 7 to 8 seas.
Was it pretty, not really, but it was not ugly if you understand boats and how should they run.
It’s was a force 6. Wind with tide which helps flatten the sea state. Don’t much like being called a liar.

I was reflecting on what makes me come off the plane. And it’s the period between waves rather than or at least as much as the actual height.

In really big waves it’s about not burying the bow in the wave ahead, or going too slow to have steerage. In a head sea it’s about adjusting the speed to the waves. And then f you’re going airborne and crashing hard into the next one then it’s slow down (or possibly speed up) time. And you can change the period by going diagonally to your intended route and tacking.

So I do agree it’s not just about wind speed. I have had to come off the plane in less wind. I was not close to doing so here.

Elessar

Visit site

Column 3 mean wind speed column 5 gust.
A full force 6.
Time to get your dinghy out.

Came back Saturday morning in an 8. Didn’t film it
IMG_9493.png

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Force 6 wind yes. Sea state nill. A real Force six Beaufort three meters waves. If those are three meters we have a different line of measurment.
I was in 3-4 wind, open sea and I had bigger waves than those on your film.
Beaufort F3-4 in open sea.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
According to that breaking crest I would say that is a Beufort 6, at least at the time of the photo.
Also that cruiser-racer rag and stick is only with his Jig up.
Now he looks like cruising rather then entering port, so that indicates strong winds above 25 knots (I would say 30 plus in some instances) with the sea state which comes with it in open waters.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Targa/Sargo style must be one of the better production boats at the 40ft range in bad seas

They have good deep Vee hulls, but feel good because you are in a covered environment. I am not sure if its Sargo and Targa which have a 26 or 25 closing aft in some of the models.
Still I think to make them real good they lack the right propulsion set up. Stern drives or IPS are not really the best set up for rough seas.

DAW

Visit site
According to that breaking crest I would say that is a Beufort 6, at least at the time of the photo.
Also that cruiser-racer rag and stick is only with his Jig up.
Now he looks like cruising rather then entering port, so that indicates strong winds above 25 knots (I would say 30 plus in some instances) with the sea state which comes with it in open waters.

The photos are taken just outside the entrance to the marina in Fontvieille and the boats are about 500m offshore. The motorboat came into port and the yacht continued on.

The forecast today was for F4 tending towards F5 near the coast and F6 further out. Wind speeds were predicted to be 20-25 knots, with gusts up to 30-35 knots, mainly from the west and south west. Wave height was 2-3m with a wave period of 6 seconds. The force and direction of the wind was quite changeable when the pictures were taken. Maybe a combination of this and the strength of the gusts is why he's sailing with just a reefed jib and no mainsail.

I think you're probably right that given the wind speed and wave height a rating of F6 would probably have been appropriate.

Last edited:

jointventureII

Visit site
Targa/Sargo style must be one of the better production boats at the 40ft range in bad seas
That Targa was following us around Sardinia last week. Saw it in Porto Cervo and Porto Rotondo, looks very customised. Stunning boat.

There's a big blow off northern Corsica at the moment sending down a fair sized swell. Boat has been bouncing around in the marina today