Best place to leave a boat in July/August, in Galicia or Portugal

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Planning to head down towards the Canaries in May, but with an 8-10 week break break to return to Scotland for the Summer. Has anyone got any suggestions as to anywhere cheap/affordable to leave a 30ft boat in Summer anywhere between A Coruna and the Algarve? Anyone fancy any boatsitting?

- W

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Not sure about Galicia prices and transport these days but most likely cheapest secure marina in northern Portugal with easy access to airport would be Leixoes. Lisbon Camara marinas not too expensive and airport close by. Summer marina prices in Algarve are very expensive but Ayamonte, just into Spain is cheaper. If any work to do, consider hauling into Bruce's, 10 mins from Faro airport.

nortada

Visit site
Thanks, sounds good, but I'm not looking to haul out, just to leave the boat on a pontoon or mooring.

- W

It was more cost effective than the marinas I found

Agree, did the sum a few years back and found that during the high season (June - September) 3 weeks was the break-even point. Leaving a boat on a mooring for more than 3 weeks was more expensive than haul out, wash, store ashore and re-launch - crazy❓

Initially it seems surprising but not when you remember that short term mooring fees (a few days) during the high season are astronomic so the marinas want to free up as many berths as possible to maximise their take.

Last edited:

bluevelvet

Visit site
During 2017 I left my 34 footer in Club Real Nautico De Vigo For exactly four weeks during August and the total cost was less than £300. This marina is right in the centre of town with Vigo airport 20mins away.
As an added bonus there is a public webcam on the hotel opposite and you can watch your yacht. If heading down that way join the CA and you will easily cover your yearly fee with discounts from selected marinas

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
If you get as far as Portugal, a trip up the river to Aveiro Sailing Club would be my choice. A small club but has pontoon facilities and hardstanding storage if required. It's cheap, friendly and a short walk to town.

AveiroSC1.jpgAveiroSC2.jpg

Last edited:

[3889]

Visit site
During 2017 I left my 34 footer in Club Real Nautico De Vigo For exactly four weeks during August and the total cost was less than £300. This marina is right in the centre of town with Vigo airport 20mins away.
As an added bonus there is a public webcam on the hotel opposite and you can watch your yacht. If heading down that way join the CA and you will easily cover your yearly fee with discounts from selected marinas

Vigo marina was much reduced in size in late 2018 after a section of decking collapsed during a concert.
San Adrian de Cobres, in the enseada de San Simon at the head of the Ria de Vigo was by far the cheapest winter berthing, €128/ month for 11m. Not sure of summer rates. Not much there but very sheltered. Good access to Santiago, Coruña and Porto airports from Vigo and Pontevedra.
Given the rate of fouling in that part of the world, though, I would be inclined to get the boat lifted.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Leixoes is showing E369 for three months for up to 10.5m, seems very reasonable - anyone know anything about the place?

https://www.marinaportoatlantico.net/en/node/10

- W

Yes, had a month in there 3 or 4 years ago. Marina is in a scruffy corner of the commercial dock, staff helpful and toilets & showers quite good. Bus service outside the gate to Porto or walk over the bridge for the Metro. Supermarket 10 mins bike ride away and lots of local bars and restaurants. I would certainly go there again.

crashtack

Visit site
It's a hole. Not secure and a long walk into town. Its also a commercial port and with the predominant SW winds your boat could well get battered to heck. It's ok for an overnight stay but I definitely wouldn't recommend leaving a vessel unattended there.

Try Alvor just beyond Lagos. Its sheltered, safe, there are plenty of liveaboards there and a buoy was €4 a night last summer. There are Supermarkets there, a great selection of reasonably priced restaurants and a direct bus to Faro. Leixoes involves either flying from Porto (15ish in an Uber) or getting a train to Lisbon. Both are a pain.

I'd also recommend getting a prepaid card in Euros, am not sure if we are allowed to mention brands on here, so please feel free to PM for any further info.

I liveaboard on the Algarve, so could probably answer most questions about the area.

crashtack

Visit site
Leixoes is a hole. Not secure and a long walk into town. Its also a commercial port and with the predominant SW winds your boat could well get battered to heck. It's ok for an overnight stay but I definitely wouldn't recommend leaving a vessel unattended there.

Try Alvor just beyond Lagos. Its sheltered, safe, there are plenty of liveaboards there and a buoy was €4 a night last summer. There are Supermarkets there, a great selection of reasonably priced restaurants and a direct bus to Faro. Leixoes involves either flying from Porto (15ish in an Uber) or getting a train to Lisbon. Both are a pain.

I'd also recommend getting a prepaid card in Euros, am not sure if we are allowed to mention brands on here, so please feel free to PM for any further info.

I liveaboard on the Algarve, so could probably answer most questions about the area.

Pavalijo

Visit site
Nito, owner of the Xufre yard, did say that he might be installing buoys this year for people wanting a low cost place to leave their boats whilst going home. The yard delivers and collects clients to/from Vilagarcia rail station with good connections to Santiago de Compostela airport and possibly Porto (Porto access good from Vigo but not looked at Vilagarcia connections).

I do not know if the ambition to install buoys is materialising but you could contact them and ask.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
It's a hole. Not secure and a long walk into town. Its also a commercial port and with the predominant SW winds your boat could well get battered to heck. It's ok for an overnight stay but I definitely wouldn't recommend leaving a vessel unattended there.

Are you talking about Leixoes? Looks pretty sheltered to me, scruffy etc. yes, possibly, but I want to leave the boat there so distance to town etc. is not an issue. Also, it is for 2-3 months in the Summer, so prevailing winds should be Northerlies - I understand Southerly swell is only likely to be a problem in Winter.

Re. Alvor - E4 a night for a buoy sounds reasonable, is it cheaper for longer periods, and is tehre somewhere sensible to leave a dinghy for a couple of months?

Just checked flights Porto - Glasgow, selected this Saturday and got £53 one way with Ryanair, so same as from Faro.

- W

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Nito, owner of the Xufre yard, did say that he might be installing buoys this year for people wanting a low cost place to leave their boats whilst going home. The yard delivers and collects clients to/from Vilagarcia rail station with good connections to Santiago de Compostela airport and possibly Porto (Porto access good from Vigo but not looked at Vilagarcia connections).

I do not know if the ambition to install buoys is materialising but you could contact them and ask.

Would the buoys in Xufre be well sheltered?

- W