Best place to leave a boat in July/August, in Galicia or Portugal

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
I was there Sept/Oct many moons ago in 1993. Looking at Gmaps the harbour/marina layout looks about the same now. I'm not 100% but I don't think the inner breakwater has been extended since then.

In a prolonged SW gale the pontoons running along the inside harbour wall took a hell of a battering with the scend. The pontoons started to break up - we & others started tying ourselves to the wall instead.

Other than that we enjoyed our stay. The harbour was dirty but we enjoyed Matosinhos and the push-me pull-you tram to Porto.

Are you talking about Leixoes? Looks pretty sheltered to me, scruffy etc. yes, possibly, but I want to leave the boat there so distance to town etc. is not an issue. Also, it is for 2-3 months in the Summer, so prevailing winds should be Northerlies - I understand Southerly swell is only likely to be a problem in Winter.

Pavalijo

Visit site
Would the buoys in Xufre be well sheltered?

- W

The bay is open to the North but there are lots of mussel bateas that will calm the sea state and not a huge fetch. There is a wave break protecting part of the mooring field, which sits off the Xufre boatyard, but not sure where Nito intends to site them.

Have a look on satellite mapping to see the general area - at the Northern end of Illa Arousa. Contact Nito through the website at xufre.es and ask if there will be any available if it might be of interest.

Last edited:

[3889]

Visit site
Anothe buoy option is Raxo in Ria de Pontevedra. €10/night including launch ashore and water at pontoon. Bus to Pontrevedra centre is 25 mins. I left my boat there for a week last year.

emandvee44

Visit site
We kept our boat in Povoa marina for more than 6 years, (2010 - 2017), while we were living near Porto. Good safe access except when the ocean swell is high, well protected by breakwaters.Good showers/toilets. Friendly and helpful staff.Probably the cheapest marina in Portugal. A brisk 10 min. walk to the Povoa metro terminus then a 30 -40 min metro ride to Porto, and to the airport. Plenty of bars and restaurants, including one on the marina. Many boats are left there afloat for a few weeks during the Summer while the owners go home.
http://marinadapovoa.com/

We stayed in Leixoes for one Summer (2010), but it did not suit us due to the lack of haul out facilities, exposure to SW gales (very scary), and general lack of privacy/security as the surrounding dock walls are open to the public, although the pontoons have controlled gates. However I would say that it is ok for short visits, and indeed many yachts stop over there for a day or two or even weeks, while on passage. Access from the sea is very good as Leixoes is a large commercial port and has a deep water entrance protected by a long seaward breakwater.
https://www.marinaportoatlantico.net/

I hope the above will be useful,

Michael.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Thanks Michael. We were in Povoa for a few days in 2006 and enjoyed it. At e116 for a month for our boat it certainly looks like the cheapest option - if that price is right. It seems too good to be true.

- W

Rosie1963

ramblinginrosie.blogspot.co.uk
My sister lives nearby. Swell in a SW. Nice YC with pool - often used by non sailors though as a YC in Portugal is often a social club too. There are plans to extend the sea wall but nothing has happened yet. You need a lot of fenders and good warps.

My sister says extending wall at entrance unlikely as it will kill the surfing waves in Matosinhos.

Last edited:

[3889]

Visit site
Thanks Michael. We were in Povoa for a few days in 2006 and enjoyed it. At e116 for a month for our boat it certainly looks like the cheapest option - if that price is right. It seems too good to be true.

- W
I'm in Povoa right now, splashed today after 6 months ashore. Won't be in a rush to return. Boat damaged by Hurricane Lesley after it was left in the water 2 weeks later than the agreed lifting date. Got a rat on board for the 1st time. The harbour has been closed continuously for 3 weeks on at least 2 occasions that I know of when a strong surge has worked it's way in. I know this was over winter but storms do happen all year.
It is cheap and convenient, though, but no cheaper than San Adrian at the top of Ria De Vigo which has excellent shelter.

The 2019 tariff the marina sent me is €130/ month, 7-9m, 9-10.5m €160.

Edit 4 hours after posting: power on pontoon has gone off for 3rd time today (2 boats on whole pontoon) but now there's no one around to fix it.

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I'm in Povoa right now, splashed today after 6 months ashore. Won't be in a rush to return. Boat damaged by Hurricane Lesley after it was left in the water 2 weeks later than the agreed lifting date. Got a rat on board for the 1st time. The harbour has been closed continuously for 3 weeks on at least 2 occasions that I know of when a strong surge has worked it's way in. I know this was over winter but storms do happen all year.
It is cheap and convenient, though, but no cheaper than San Adrian at the top of Ria De Vigo which has excellent shelter.

The 2019 tariff the marina sent me is €130/ month, 7-9m, 9-10.5m €160.

Edit 4 hours after posting: power on pontoon has gone off for 3rd time today (2 boats on whole pontoon) but now there's no one around to fix it.

Thanks, that's very interesting. Boat is 9.14m, so it looks like E160/month which is currently £137/month

I know the marina can be closed by large onshore swells, I've experienced it but the swell inside was not too bad. It will be in the Summer, so I am confident enough to leave the boat there, particularly if we can persuade someone staying long term to keep an eye on it for us.

Sorry to hear you have not had such a good time. I will check out San Adrian.

Thanks for your feedback,

- W

Sailfree

Visit site
Hi,

I live in Nazare and have boat berthed there.

For my 43' Jeanneau DS I pay €1600pa plus IIRC €50 to join YC and €30 for entrance fob. Electricity inc and there is a fuel berth. Price includes a 10% discount for paying in full before end of Jan. Staff are helpful and excellent service with most speaking English. There are Lift out facilities run by main harbour office. One of Nazare best and reasonable restaurants is based in Marina by office - don't be put off by appearance.

Marina is a safe haven and unlike most Atlantic ports in France/Spain and Portugal has only been closed for 4 days in some 12yrs I am told. Ports are closed due to swell more than just bad weather. Both harbour marina and YC marina are well protected by harbour configuration from offshore swells and gales.

They will always try to fit in visitors but if no space there is the harbour office marina the other side. Charges for visitors are higher in peak season. I sailed the boat there arriving in September and the helpful marina staff calculated that staying as a visitor for Oct/Nov/Dec was dearer than being there as a member for whole year.

Unlike some UK YCs if they let out your berth in your absence there is no refund to berth holder - money goes to YC to reduce marina running costs.

Nazare is a very popular holiday resort and a nice short walk from marina along sea front to the busy town centre. Population approx. 15,000 but goes to 115,000 during New Year, Carnival (February) and Summer months.

Downside - Toilet and shower facilities are a single unit in a portacabin and tired looking. Restaurants along sea front are more expensive and don't expect tourists to return a second night! There are many good restaurants in town and Sitio (on top of headland - Nazare shelters from the predominately N wind below this 110m high cliff ) but use trip advisor etc to identify them - or PM me.

October is start of big wave surfing contest with waves up to 100' high but these are limited to N side of headland (there is a 5000m deep underwater canyon off the N beach) S beach and Marina are OK for waves.

Excellent coach service from Nazare to Lisbon for €12 each (70mls takes 1.75hrs). Connection from Lisbon coach station to Airport by metro or dedicated small coach service.

Hope this helps - if you are visiting happy for you to contact me - be pleased to meet up- but we have a hell of a social life in surrounding area to maintain. Our boat Janes Buoy is nestled next to an old Scottish built wooden trawler with a long bowspit - nice and cosy- and almost impossible to hit by visiting yachts!

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Hi,

I live in Nazare and have boat berthed there.

For my 43' Jeanneau DS I pay €1600pa plus IIRC €50 to join YC and €30 for entrance fob. Electricity inc and there is a fuel berth. Price includes a 10% discount for paying in full before end of Jan. Staff are helpful and excellent service with most speaking English. There are Lift out facilities run by main harbour office. One of Nazare best and reasonable restaurants is based in Marina by office - don't be put off by appearance.

Marina is a safe haven and unlike most Atlantic ports in France/Spain and Portugal has only been closed for 4 days in some 12yrs I am told. Ports are closed due to swell more than just bad weather. Both harbour marina and YC marina are well protected by harbour configuration from offshore swells and gales.

They will always try to fit in visitors but if no space there is the harbour office marina the other side. Charges for visitors are higher in peak season. I sailed the boat there arriving in September and the helpful marina staff calculated that staying as a visitor for Oct/Nov/Dec was dearer than being there as a member for whole year.

Unlike some UK YCs if they let out your berth in your absence there is no refund to berth holder - money goes to YC to reduce marina running costs.

Nazare is a very popular holiday resort and a nice short walk from marina along sea front to the busy town centre. Population approx. 15,000 but goes to 115,000 during New Year, Carnival (February) and Summer months.

Downside - Toilet and shower facilities are a single unit in a portacabin and tired looking. Restaurants along sea front are more expensive and don't expect tourists to return a second night! There are many good restaurants in town and Sitio (on top of headland - Nazare shelters from the predominately N wind below this 110m high cliff ) but use trip advisor etc to identify them - or PM me.

October is start of big wave surfing contest with waves up to 100' high but these are limited to N side of headland (there is a 5000m deep underwater canyon off the N beach) S beach and Marina are OK for waves.

Excellent coach service from Nazare to Lisbon for €12 each (70mls takes 1.75hrs). Connection from Lisbon coach station to Airport by metro or dedicated small coach service.

Hope this helps - if you are visiting happy for you to contact me - be pleased to meet up- but we have a hell of a social life in surrounding area to maintain. Our boat Janes Buoy is nestled next to an old Scottish built wooden trawler with a long bowspit - nice and cosy- and almost impossible to hit by visiting yachts!

We will definitely be in Nazare some time this year - it;s a wonderful place, I have very good memories of my visit in 2006, especially sitting in our favourite bar on the cliff edge in Sitio overlooking the beach.

If you have time to check it out (I understand the hectic social life!) could you please PM me a price for a 9.1m boat for say ten weeks, end of June to mid-September?

Thanks,

- W

Sailfree

Visit site
We will definitely be in Nazare some time this year - it;s a wonderful place, I have very good memories of my visit in 2006, especially sitting in our favourite bar on the cliff edge in Sitio overlooking the beach.

If you have time to check it out (I understand the hectic social life!) could you please PM me a price for a 9.1m boat for say ten weeks, end of June to mid-September?

Thanks,

- W

There are 2 bars that meet your description. One at the top of the cliff top access path now has more tables on a decked out area overlooking Nazare. We try to walk up that access path (110m climb) and down to the lighthouse and return in under 50min as many times as possible in a week. On sunny days that bar is a tempting spot.

If you sit there and look down on the town the 4 storey grey building with the only visible swimming pool (on the roof) is where we live at present - now looking to sell it and build our own house inland a bit but will miss the sunsets over the sea from one balcony and waking up to the view looking South along the beaches - we are on the top floor.

The other bar is now a glass hut perched on the edge as you walk down the road from Sitio to the fort on the headland. Nice views looking over the sea to Nazare.

Nazare is a developing resort so many changes since you were last there. Now wider cobbled pavements and a cycle track along the sea front. The dried fish sellers racks were cleared and the beach cleaned of its accumulated buried debris and new "uniform" fish racks constructed on a decked out area.

Nazare commune council still loath to allow any demolition so lots of refurbishment and nothing allowed over 4 storeys. Some would say its losing some of its character but others would say its limiting by controlled development to match the necessary progress.

One area is suffers from is lack of parking as the narrow cobbled roads were designed for donkey and cart for the fish and none of the houses have garages. Luckily while we are in the historic part ours is new and has underground parking.

SWMBO accepts it but thinks its losing some of its character and becoming a bit sterile.

If you do come there please make contact.

I will PM you the cost once I find out.

Last edited:

Sailfree

Visit site
For a boat under 10m for 92days it will be €1320. They advise booking in advance as there are only a few free spaces.

They will always fit you in somehow on the harbour office side but it's not so nice and a fishing port. I expect a similar price.

I suspect it would hav e been cheaper to pay for berth for 12months as it was for me when I kn we are we would arrive early Sept.

Last edited:

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
For a boat under 10m for 92days it will be €1320. They advise booking in advance as there are only a few free spaces.

They will always fit you in somehow on the harbour office side but it's not so nice and a fishing port. I expect a similar price.

I suspect it would hav e been cheaper to pay for berth for 12months as it was for me when I kn we are we would arrive early Sept.

OK, thanks for checking that out for us. Found another problem with the boat which might delay departure, but still hope to see you later this year.

- W

Sailfree

Visit site
OK, thanks for checking that out for us. Found another problem with the boat which might delay departure, but still hope to see you later this year.

- W

We may be temporarily living on Our Jeanneau 43DS by then as we have our apartment up for sale and are getting a 4 bed house with swimming pool built.4,200sm of land though so back to gardening!