Best Place for Liferaft

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
My new liferaftc is due for delivery shortly, it weighs about 75kg and is in a canister.

I reckin, to date, the best place for it is one one side of the transom mounted actually on the transom. I could have the warp attached to it permanently, so that it can be released if ever needed.

Question 1: Is this the best place? (it would really clutter up my cockpit otherwise)

Question 2: Is it sensible to mount it in a place that requires you to climb down the stern ladder and go on the bathing platform to release it?

Question 3: Are there any better places?

Kind regards,
Paul

Paul

D

Deleted User YDKXO

75kg???? What have you bought? A 25man liferaft? You better have it as close to the water as possible but not so close its covered in spray when you're running on the plane. Even the canisters are not deemed to be waterproof so expect regular servicing. Maybe its a good idea to have a little canvas cover made up to protect it as much as possible
Ideally the liferaft wants to sit in a protected position in the cockpit so you can lob it over the side easily and jump in but you're not going to be lobbing 75kg anywhere so stored vertically on the transom will be fine

tcm

Visit site
Re: garage?

Needs to be somewhere where it can be easily released AND where if it did go off, it wouldn't smash the boat - so not indoors. It's far too heavy, imho, for that boat, and if you had wanted an 8-man then 2x 4man wd have been better, easier to handle, easier to sell, and safer and easier to balance up say on flybridge, which could be a good spot, but not sure of boat dimensions etc.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Well since the only reason I could think you would need it. Was because you were sinking. And the back end nearly always goes down first. The life raft might have sunk before the boat! Also the rule is always step (up) off boat into life raft , so better on deck or fly bridge. Personally I'd leave it in the garage!!

Haydn