Best Guide for Southern Eire?

KevO

Visit site
Now that we are heading back to the light one’s thoughts are turning to the main 2023 summer cruise. We are musing with Fal to Scilly then off to Southern Ireland this year. Best pilot/guide book recommendation? The Wilcox Cruising Companion from Fernhurst is dated 2009 so there must be more recent publications out there I hope?

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
Now that we are heading back to the light one’s thoughts are turning to the main 2023 summer cruise. We are musing with Fal to Scilly then off to Southern Ireland this year. Best pilot/guide book recommendation? The Wilcox Cruising Companion from Fernhurst is dated 2009 so there must be more recent publications out there I hope?
I too am interested in this thread, I’ve been looking for guides covering the Southern coast of Ireland and was hoping there was something more recent than the 2009 edition mentioned.
The 2023 Reeds western almanac in conjunction with the 2009 book might be the answer.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
"The Southern and Western Coasts of Ireland Sailing Directions", published by the Irish Cruising Club and edited by Norman Kean, is the Bible for your intended cruising area.
Available post-free from www.iccsailingbooks.com for £37.50 and posted to G.B.without Brexit complication from N.I.
There is a companion volume covering the North and East Coasts of ROI also.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
I was going to say that but then I felt unsure as to whether 'southern' was being used in a geographical, as opposed to political, sense, ie Wexford to Dingle or thereabouts...
In a constitutional/political sense, the term "Southern Ireland" made a brief appearance lasting just a few months in 1921-22. In 1948 the Republic of Ireland Act changed the name of the state from 'The Irish Free State' to 'The Republic of Ireland', ( in English), and "Éire" ,(in Irish).
In the vernacular you will encounter the terms; "Ireland", "the Republic", "the 26 Counties", but never "Éire"!
The people who write pilot books can be relied upon to refer to the coasts of the island in a purely geographical sense.

dgadee

Visit site
Ireland is a modern, young country these days. They are pleased to call it Ireland in my experience and see the use of "Eire" as a continuing English misunderstanding of who they are.

dunedin

Visit site
"The Southern and Western Coasts of Ireland Sailing Directions", published by the Irish Cruising Club and edited by Norman Kean, is the Bible for your intended cruising area.
Available post-free from www.iccsailingbooks.com for £37.50 and posted to G.B.without Brexit complication from N.I.
There is a companion volume covering the North and East Coasts of ROI also.
Definitely the must have pilot book for Ireland. Norman does a great job

KevO

Visit site
They call it Ireland.
Who is they? But you are right I suppose, it does say Ireland under Eire on my passport.

Thanks for the pointer to the icc… it was already on my list of probables but good to hear it’s a good guide.

Last edited:

KevO

Visit site
Edited…

Genuine wider thanks for the pointers to the ICC guides, I’ve ordered them - they look like just the ticket. The eOceanic linky is also a goody, thank you.

Last edited:

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
If you sail close enough you can see the label

View attachment 148402
Ah yes, these were the 83 Look Out Posts set up around the coast of the then Free State for the duration of the 1939-1945 Emergency , known to the rest of the world as World War Two. They consisted of a small concrete hut with seaward-facing windows and equipped with a telephone. They were each manned by two members of the Coastwatching Service, one keeping watch outside and one manning the telephone. Their function was to observe and report any combatant shipping or aircraft movement off the coast.
They had a secondary use which was to provide position fixes for Allied aircraft as on the ground nearby they had a large "Eire"sign, (that being the name of the state in the first official language, Irish, under the 1937 Constitution). The word "Eire " was more economical to use in the circumstances, than "Irish Free State". Each LOP had a number, which was incorporated into the sign and gave confirmation of their position to Allied pilots, as the information regarding the numbers was provided to the the Allied airforces, (and B.O.A.C), and not to the Germans. In recent yoars many of the LOP huts have been restored and the stones making up the "Eire" signs being cleared of vegetation and repainted.
Protecting Ireland’s neutrality: WW2 Coastal Lookout Posts – Coast Monkey

Coast Watching Service - Wikipedia
And for the surrounding context:
Irish neutrality during World War II - Wikipedia

pandos

Visit site
In a constitutional/political sense, the term "Southern Ireland" made a brief appearance lasting just a few months in 1921-22. In 1948 the Republic of Ireland Act changed the name of the state from 'The Irish Free State' to 'The Republic of Ireland', ( in English), and "Éire" ,(in Irish).
In the vernacular you will encounter the terms; "Ireland", "the Republic", "the 26 Counties", but never "Éire"!
The people who write pilot books can be relied upon to refer to the coasts of the island in a purely geographical sense.
The name of the country is Ireland or in the Irish language: Eire. (That is what the constitution says. )

The ICC guides and the Eoceanic site are all that you could ever need in terms of guidance.

Black Sheep

Visit site
The name of the country is Ireland or in the Irish language: Eire. (That is what the constitution says. )
Not in any version of the constitution that I can find.
They all state "The name of the State is Éire, or, in the English language, Ireland. "

eg: Irish Statute Book
or Constitution of Ireland (consolidated text) - Wikisource, the free online library

Do you have a link to your version?

(not that it matters too much. I don't think the Germans get upset that we call their country Germany rather than Deutschland. There are political reasons why some people might prefer one name or another for Eire / Republic of Ireland. But it's probably best not to let this discussion descend into politics)