Beneteau Antares 760 windlass

alancollins

Visit site
My anchor winch has gone on strike. It normally operates when the engine is running so I assume it is powered by the alternator, but I can't locate the fuse or circuit breaker. It is not on the main fuse board and as most of the wiring is behind panelling I don't want to dismantle half the boat tracing the wiring back. Any advice?

simonfraser

Visit site
hopefully powered by the battery that is being charged by the alternator
mine has a fuse right by the winch switchgear in the bow
suspect a switch has failed, you have checked the battery voltage ?

Plum

Visit site
My anchor winch has gone on strike. It normally operates when the engine is running so I assume it is powered by the alternator, but I can't locate the fuse or circuit breaker. It is not on the main fuse board and as most of the wiring is behind panelling I don't want to dismantle half the boat tracing the wiring back. Any advice?
Assuming it is the original winch fitted by Beneteau it is powered by the main battery/batteries and there is a circuit breaker in the lower locker behind the helm so no need to dismantle anything to find and reset it before going any further.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Pleinmont

Visit site
Assuming it is the original winch fitted by Beneteau it is powered by the main battery/batteries and there is a circuit breaker in the lower locker behind the helm so no need to dismantle anything to find and reset it before going any further.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
Agreed
Only runs when the engine is on
Look in the midships cupboard with the hot water cylinder and it's the black breaker low down on the wood panel by the shorepower/battery charger unit and the Euro plug socket.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Yep, mine only works with the engine running. Circuit breaker on mine is in the bottom locker behind the helm next to the calorifier and mains/charger unit.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
Hmmm, strange. Mine works no matter whether the engine is running or not.
Oddly, I’m sure it used to work with just the ignition on, but not now. The batteries are in top nick courtesy of solar but not a murmur from the windlass until the engine is running. Memory playing tricks ??

alancollins

Visit site
There is a circuit breaker in the locker with the mains/charger unit and I guess this is for the windlass as Pleinmont and Jamie Dundee suggests. Unfortunately this has not tripped so the problem must lie elsewhere.

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
There is a circuit breaker in the locker with the mains/charger unit and I guess this is for the windlass as Pleinmont and Jamie Dundee suggests. Unfortunately this has not tripped so the problem must lie elsewhere.
If it’s the same as mine it’s an odd breaker, the top edge flips out when broken. You may already know this but I found it odd (I manually tripped mine unintentionally by pressing the red button).

Neeves

Visit site
This is a Quick windlass, but supplied and fitted to a Beneteau.

In common with many windlass there is a fuse between the foot switches and batteries in addition to the circuit breaker. Logically the fuse for the foot switches would be in a bunch of other fuses but maybe a fuse holder with the solenoid and foot switches. So have a search round the general location of the windlass/solenoid/foot switches for a little plastic fuse holder. Or look at the various'fuse boxes' and check if any have blown.

I'm surprised that Beneteau don't supply cards for their fuse boxes, identifying what is what and that there is no manual for the windlass (within which you will find the wiring for the circuit breaker and foot switch fuse).

You should be able to use the windlass without running the engines but it is a good practice anyway (to run the engines with the windlass) and there maybe some clever wiring to ensure you only use the windlass with the engines. The windlass draws lots of power so running the engines is a good idea and you would look very foolish if you lifted the anchor and then the engine would not start :)

If you have foot switches at the windlass - maybe you have a switch also at the helm - though I suspect it might be protected by the same small fuse. But you could try it.

You might also have a, not uncommon, solenoid issue

Jonathan

Plum

Visit site
This is a Quick windlass, but supplied and fitted to a Beneteau.

In common with many windlass there is a fuse between the foot switches and batteries in addition to the circuit breaker. Logically the fuse for the foot switches would be in a bunch of other fuses but maybe a fuse holder with the solenoid and foot switches. So have a search round the general location of the windlass/solenoid/foot switches for a little plastic fuse holder. Or look at the various'fuse boxes' and check if any have blown.

I'm surprised that Beneteau don't supply cards for their fuse boxes, identifying what is what and that there is no manual for the windlass (within which you will find the wiring for the circuit breaker and foot switch fuse).

You should be able to use the windlass without running the engines but it is a good practice anyway (to run the engines with the windlass) and there maybe some clever wiring to ensure you only use the windlass with the engines. The windlass draws lots of power so running the engines is a good idea and you would look very foolish if you lifted the anchor and then the engine would not start :)

If you have foot switches at the windlass - maybe you have a switch also at the helm - though I suspect it might be protected by the same small fuse. But you could try it.

You might also have a, not uncommon, solenoid issue

Jonathan
Interesting. All the Antares 760s I have seen that have the original Beneteau fitted winch have the one made by Leroy Somer. Like this.
anchor winch, not Stardrift's.jpg

Neeves

Visit site
It is quite possible;e - as Quick make a windlass called an Antares. Butt whatever it is not a benneteau windlass has implied by the OP.

ANTARES Windlass / with Capstan buy now | SVB

If you use the link I think there is a full instruction manual for the Quick Antares windlass. I did not search for a Leroy Somers windlass, you can do that :) but having a manual does seem very sensible (and from the responses so far - no-one admits to having had a look (at a manual) or the Manual supplied by Benny.

I wonder at two windlass having the same name - did Quick buy Leroy Somer?

That does not alter the key fact that the foot switches are commonly protected by a fuse.

I'd be checking the foot switch circuit for continuity and the power cables to the windlass itself. The windlass enjoys a lot of vibration and if the nuts that hold the cables to the solenoid or motor are loose, have loosened, the windlass will not work. Similarly if the cables for the foot switches have loosened the windlass will not work.

But you guys seem to know exactly what you are doing - good luck.

Take care, stay safe

Jonathan

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
is quite possible;e - as Quick make a windlass called an Antares. Butt whatever it is not a benneteau windlass has implied by the OP.
Some crossed wires I think, the boat model is ‘Antares’, not the windlass. Interestingly however, when I renewed my foot switches the Quick switches were a direct replacemeant to the extent I left the switch gubbins in place and only changed the covers. I’ve never found any manual, either online or with the original boat papers, which covers the windlass. It’s quite a long run from the batteries/engine, the cabling must be run between the hull and the interior liners, no sign of any fuses other than the stand alone circuit breaker.

Neeves

Visit site
Some crossed wires I think, the boat model is ‘Antares’, not the windlass. Interestingly however, when I renewed my foot switches the Quick switches were a direct replacemeant to the extent I left the switch gubbins in place and only changed the covers. I’ve never found any manual, either online or with the original boat papers, which covers the windlass. It’s quite a long run from the batteries/engine, the cabling must be run between the hull and the interior liners, no sign of any fuses other than the stand alone circuit breaker.

Ah!

I understand now - well done Jamie - it must be obvious by now I'm not a Mobo person. Apologies.

I hope there are no crossed wires with the installation!

We have had Muir and Maxwell windlass both have had a small fuse near the solenoid protecting the foot switch circuit. In both cases the fuse was in a little plastic fuse holder, supposedly waterproof, but I doubt it. This fuse has never failed d- its just there. We have also had a loosening of cables at the solenoid and a wire (held on with a crimp connector) fall off one foot switch.

But the run from circuit breaker and batteries and the run for the foot switches should be continuous with question marks only at the bus bar, circuit breaker or windlass end - they would be easy to check for continuity.

Jonathan

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
It has been mentioned already that many installations are set to only allow operation when the engine is running. It is of course possible to configure it for use without the engine.

My Jeanneau 42DS has a link taped beside the wiring and relay in the fore cabin. I have removed the panel just behind the anchor locker in the cabin and used the link provided to allow use with out the engine. It was useful when carrying out some tests. No idea if Beneteau also provide a link but might be worth checking as it is good to know.

My windlass problem was due to arcing inside the trip in the aft cabin. It looked fine externally but damage was obvious when cut open. It seemed fine with a multimeter as Voltage was OK and it didn't trip. However, I think it couldn't support much current. I proved the point by installing a fused link temporarily in place of the trip and the windlass worked perfectly. It was an emergency measure as we were in a remote bay with a lot of chain out and bad weather forecast. A new trip solved the problem.

Plum

Visit site
I found this wiring diagram for a Leroy Somer winch.
Wiring diagram.jpg

Last edited: