Belfield Chart Plotter

yoda

Visit site
Does anybody know if the belfield plotter covers the north French coast in detail or just the channel islands? Any other comments on functionality would also be useful.

Thanks

Yoda

Amulet

www.flickr.com
Does anybody know if the belfield plotter covers the north French coast in detail or just the channel islands? Any other comments on functionality would also be useful.

Thanks

Yoda
I looked at it when trying to decide which budget software to go for. I rate it last of the ones I tried. Hopeless tidal information (surprising) was the most damning problem, but, for my money,
Maptech Offshore Navigator
Memorymap AtSea
Imray Digital Charts
The Meridian £40 one whose name I can't remember
All are better than Belfield.

I use Offshore Navigator, partly out of hablt. It's strength for me is the ability to easily draw routes and send them to a handheld GPS 72 in the cockpit (Using the Garmin Protocol). My second choice among these would be Imray.

oldfatgit

Visit site
I have it and use it as Open CPN (which I prefer) keeps causing my system to crash. It is good value for UK and Ireland in that the charts go all the way to great detail, however, for the North Coast of France only the basic chart from Brest to Calais seems to be included, before more detailed chartlets resume from Dunkirk east to Belgium and Holland. Now I do not know if it is possible to purchase and install better charts of the French Coast, however, quite keen to learn.

When on board I get it to work with both GPS and AIS but it only shows AIS A not AIS B so the larger targets are displayed but not smaller ones. Finally it does not calculate CPA etc.

In truth I think, with continued development, it could be really good but expect to buy TIKI Gold in the not to distant future along with the Navionics Charts I need.

bluedragon

Visit site

Thanks

Yoda

I asked that question at LBS in Jan and we had a look. At that time, no it didn't and they weren't available.