beginner! at sailing

G

I am about to learn to sail and have signed up to a class 1 & 2 Dingy sailing. My question is what will this teach me as far as sailing in the UK. Will I learn the basics and its just a taster or will be able to take a boat out on any water anywhere with this qualification, I'm sure there will be a lot more to learn, but what is going to be next after this.

G

Hi Jake,

It is many years (27 years) since I did my RYA dingy courses. Sinse then I have wind surfed and now own and sail a 35 foot keel boat. What the RYA Dingy course gave me was a thourough understanding of the essencials of sailing, safty, sails and how they work, the sheer joy of sailing.

From the Dingy courses you can go as far as your wallet will let you. The Dingy 1 & 2 is (or was ) for inland (non tidal)waters only, with a further qualification "Day Skipper" reccomended for Tidal waters.

get started and enjoy it.

Regards

Simes

G

Stage two

Check around for a local yacht club that conducts regular racing. Talk to the members and volunteer to crew on boats. This will give you hands-on training, be a lot of fun, and cost virtually nothing.

G

Make sure that these are approved RYA Dinghy courses leading to RYA levels 1 and 2 certificates respectively.

Level 1 is basic. Level 2 represents reasonable competency and the certificate can be useful if, for example, you want to hire a dinghy from a UK sailing school when on holiday.

There is an RYA guide, "Basic Dinghy Sailing", which outlines the requirements for these two levels. Costs around £4, many sailing shops stock it.

Next up are levels 3,4,5, for Advanced and Racing dinghy sailors.

Good luck with your course.

G

PS ...

If you were asking, "Is it compulsory to have a certificate in order to sail in the UK", the answer is NO. There is no licensing for any type of sailing here. But the widespread view (among clubs, safety services etc) is firmly that this training is highly desirable and you should be at the equivalent of level 2 standard before taking responsibility for sailing a dinghy on your own.

G

Thank you for all your adivice it's very intesting, my course is over two weekends and the bank holiday in may, they are an approved RYA trainer. What will be intresting is that it is in Gravesend in Kent which is tidal. So it on the news you here of some one stuck in the middle of the Thames Estery it will be me.

Thanks again

G

Just one more thing!!

just remember that we are all still learning however much experience we have. You will never know it all and the sea will try to catch you out when you least expect it.

one thing to learn that is as important as any technique is respect. respect for the environment around you and what it can do.

good luck and if you can sail a dinghy well, you will not have too much trouble moving up to bigger boats. kev