Bed-It Butyl Tape - UK supplier?

i_sail

Visit site
There's lots of butyl tape available in the UK. Perhaps go for a decent brand, such as Arbosil - look at the Arbosil GZ tape here http://hadlo-43547-001.dsvr.co.uk/Pages/Sealants.html

Hello

Thanks for your reply. I have researched Butyl tape quite a lot as I am about to remove and re-seal all my deck fittings on my Rustler 31 and I want to do a really good job that will last. My concern with most tapes that are sold as Butyl tape are not very good for use on boats. The chap in the USA who sells the Bed-It Butyl tape has done extensive testing and found that the Bed-It tape is the best and is the only real tape that is fit for purpose. Here are some quotes from his website:

Bed-it Marine Sealant Tape:

After hundreds of requests for a high quality marine grade butyl tape I finally, through months and months of testing, landed on a tremendous formulation. Due to EPA regulation the good stuff from 30-40 years ago is long gone. To try and find a tape to survive the long term in the marine environment was not an easy task and took months of testing. After months and months going back and forth with my lab we finally landed on one. Bed-It Tape is gray in color, 1/16" thick and 1/2" wide and comes in a 50' roll. It is the perfect consistency & width for bedding deck hardware.

This is NOT the stuff you get from an RV supplier at all. This is closer, only a better quality because I was able to test specifically for a marine application, to what was used by boat builders back when they used to take the time to use a good quality butyl tape.

ABOUT BED-IT TAPE:

Bed-It Tape is specifically formulated and extruded for the installation of deck fittings to the decks of boats. All aspects of the installation procedure and necessary formulation requirements have been brought together in a marine specific bedding tape.

It has been designed to:

*Work across wide temperature ranges with minimal "creep" or cold flow even in hot climates

*Formulated to have exceptional tolerance to withstand slight movement between deck and fitting

*Stand up to typical boat washing chemicals

*Stick to the parts not your fingers

*Have the proper density for use in a "compression" application.

*Have right density to allow it to displace from under the fitting in a reasonable time frame

Bed-It Tape is made only from the finest materials and has been designed to exceed the quality of pre EPA tapes that have lasted for 30+ years..

Bed-It Tape is not an RV, Masonsry, HVAC or glazing product it was specifically formulated for use in bedding deck hardware.

So am I being over the top? Should I settle for a cheaper tape? Or just pay for the high quality stuff and have done with it?

That is why I was trying to find a UK supplier, to save approximately £50 in delivery costs alone.

Cheers

Karl

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
I didn't realise that 'marine grade' butyl tape existed as a specific product, though I note that the suggestion that it does appears to be coming from a company who're selling butyl tape (of some description) at a premium price.

If it was me, I'd go for one of the 'satisfied customer' recommended products noted in earlier posts; it's clearly worked for others in a marine environment and I see no reason for it not doing so in your own case.

pvb

Visit site
Well, he would say that, wouldn't he? I can say with 99.9% certainty that he doesn't make the stuff, so he's simply buying in something and reselling it. I'd have no hesitation using a respected brand such as Arbo, which is used extensively in architectural glazing etc.

NormanS

Visit site
I am just about to bed in the new windows on my deck saloon yacht. I will be using ordinary commercial butyl tape. After all, once the windows are fastened into place, the tape is not exposed to the marine environment. I think the OP worries too much.