"Bayesian" s/y sinks in Palermo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paddy Fields

Visit site
If the boat was anchored at the bow and stern, ie not free to swing, and was hit on the beam, I can see how it might get blown over.

And those anchor chains are going to create a -ve righting moment.

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
It might be 100 deg if it’s glassy calm. Ask yourself, will a C32 get knocked to 78 degrees in calm water. We had a huge kite miscalculation and got laid over about 60-65 degrees, in a 1.5m chop. Huge amounts of water went inside, knives were used to cut the sheets, order was gradually restored. Without cutting the sheets, I have little doubt she’d have sunk. A very unpleasant situation.

So it's an anecdote then. That's ok but 78 degrees sounds very objective.

Actually the figure is probably nearer 120deg and like almost all yachts of her, and many other types, at 90 she would floating on her side with the companionway well clear of the water.

Contessa 32,s have been knocked flat and beyond many times. In the high Arctic, in the latitudes of the Great Capes, In the Roaring Forties.
If you actually managed to sink one off Spithead it would be notable feat. 🧐

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

Actually the figure is probably nearer 120deg and like almost all yachts of her, and many other types, at 90 she would floating on her side with the companionway well clear of the water.

Contessa 32,s have been knocked flat and beyond many times. In the high Arctic, in the latitudes of the Great Capes, In the Roaring Forties.

Downflooding angle and the angle at which righting moment becomes negative are two different things.

Last edited:

obmij

Visit site
Having windows / hatches open shouldn't really have led to catastrophe as surely there should have been enough buoyancy within the watertight compartments to keep her afloat even when flooded and / or inverted.

Perhaps watertight doors were not closed. Quite reasonable if the vessel is at anchor and routine maintenance / checks are taking place.

A tragic accident. I'm not sure what lessons could be drawn from it either.

Martin_J

Visit site
A couple of videos on YouTube show the sheer size and weight of the mast (22 tonnes according to the first video)..

And a video from four years earlier showing how big the fittings are when close up...

Martin_J

Visit site
And now I wish that I hadn't posted those links... My thoughts are with everyone affected.

22 tonnes of mast must take quiet some counterbalancing though...

Douglas

Visit site
And now I wish that I hadn't posted those links... My thoughts are with everyone affected.

22 tonnes of mast must take quiet some counterbalancing though...
I don't think you need to wish you hadn't posted, it was interesting stuff. This thread isn't in my view wild or morbid speculation, but experienced sailors considering ahead of the official report what might have happened - with a view to avoiding it happening again.

Not quite sure if it's a deck stepped or hog stepped mast, the difference could be relevant. Yes, the mast is huge - but so is the yacht!

Batilda

Visit site
Can anyone tell me why they haven't winched the Bayesian up to the surface, or just further towards the surface, for safer searching of cabins?

Chiara’s slave

Visit site

We didn’t stop to measure the angle I can assure you. But, since none of us fell out of the boat, it wasn’t 78 degrees, but a lot more than you’d want to sail at. Being pinned by the spinnaker at that angle allowed a lot of water in, probably 18” at least over the cabin sole. The boat came upright with the kite released, as you’d expect. It was about 2 miles off the Needles btw, 25-30kn of wind. Only a small spinnaker, but the boat rounded up. A knock down I appreciate is not an issue. Scoop a bathful of water in, worst case. Being down for a minute or more is what is dangerous, which is very likely what happened to Mr Lynch’s boat.

shaunksb

Visit site
Looking at things from a different angle.
Maybe one of the things we can learn from all this is perhaps better reporting of the weather conditions that could lead to or make a tornado more likely.
If there was a chance it was going to happen perhaps crews would be able to prepare their vessels better.

Status
Not open for further replies.