Bavaria bmb 300 Sport

mr brittass

Visit site
Hi there.

I've just purchased a Bavaria BMB 300 Sport cruiser. It was a last min change of plan from a Fairline Targa 29 as we preferred the interior layout.
I'm very pleased with it but there are a few "projects" I'd like to undertake.
Diesel Heating, Anchor Windlass, change stove from alcohol to gas, replace the windscreen seals and upgrade the canvas covers.

The model is really not very common, so hard to find pictures and guides for what others have done. Unlike the Targa 29.

By any chance are there any other owners on here who may wish to discuss their upgrades with me ?

Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture 1.JPG
    Capture 1.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Capture 2.JPG
    Capture 2.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 35

ashtead

Visit site
Hi there
You don’t say where you are located on any broker involved in sale but first stop would be to ask the broker who might have guidance surely? Let’s say you want heating then a variety of makes but any independent installer might suggest Webasto as opposed to Eber. Let’s assume you go with webasto then ask on this forum about same but search webasto first.
Anchor windlass-likewise ask for views on makes -we have Quick which is Italian brand so not certain I would choose but ask question re which windlass others might recommend.
Covers - find the local supplier -ask at your marina but generally choose a local supplier or ask the dealer who they use -clipper in south used Tecsew for example I believe.
For the gas stove you need a local recommended gas certified fitter again location dependent but you should get a cert from fitter.

ashtead

Visit site
I was trying to work out where Mr Britass was -looked like a seaside resort maybe in uk . I’m sure if the OP speaks to the broker they might have a list of suppliers or maybe he has a marina yacht club with a list of suppliers. Here at Haslar the yacht club has a list plus members post requests on app for names of suppliers who turn up when promised and do what they say they will etc in projected timescale.

stelican

Visit site
I was trying to work out where Mr Britass was -looked like a seaside resort maybe in uk . I’m sure if the OP speaks to the broker they might have a list of suppliers or maybe he has a marina yacht club with a list of suppliers. Here at Haslar the yacht club has a list plus members post requests on app for names of suppliers who turn up when promised and do what they say they will etc in projected timescale.
If it was a guess where photos taken
.1 Torquay and 1 Brixham

mr brittass

Visit site
Thanks guys.

The boat is in Torquay now. Purchased it in Brixham. So good photo spotting.

I wasn't really after trades to undertake the work for me. I've got those sorted trades and me doing DIY.
It was more of a bit of first hand knowledge from someone who had the same boat about ways to get things working in the best way.

• Diesel Heating - Where to locate the unit and route the ducts ? (I have a heater guy)
  • Anchor Windlass - There is currently no place to mount this. Do I Glass in a shelf in the locker or surface mount it on a modified lid ? (I'll be doing this DIY)
  • Change stove from alcohol to gas - Has anyone done this ? Where could the gas locker go as there is no obvious place to install one ? (DIY referb or I have a boat gas guy called Tim Beck)
  • Upgrade the canvas covers - I don't like the shape or opening zip locations on mine. Just wondering if others had modified their setup ? (Exe Sails and Canvas)
I'll put up a post about the stove separately. It's an electric and alcohol unit, looks quite dated but could possibly be refurbished and used ?

Thanks guys.

P4Paul

Visit site
As you have found out, on the earlier Bavaria builds if the windless option hadn't been ticked by the purchaser/dealer, then the structural shelf was deleted in the moulding process.
I knew of a couple of retrofitted anchor windless on Bavaria sailboats but wouldnt recommend them as a template to go by as they looked pants and structurally questionable.
Never owned a Sport 300 but have been on a couple. I think the gas locker was a unit dropped into the sunbed locker with a drain at deck level. Heater went in the engine bay on the starboard side (opposite side from the batteries) exhaust through the rear 1/4, right about where you wanted to put the fender! Ducting ran through the heads to the fore with outlets in the heads and cabin. Think some 300's had an outlet in the cockpit as well. All from memory so dont hold me to it.