Battle of the Narrow Seas Lt.Cmdr. Peter Scott (Now Sir).

StugeronSteve

Visit site
Got hold of a copy of this, now out of print, book. Fascinating accounts of the actions fought by the boats of the Coastal Forces, during the second world war.

Most of the guys commanding these MTBs/MGBs were yachtsman volunteers and the bravery displayed by them, and their crews, was incredible. Some of the scraps make Partrick O'Brian's "Jack Aubrey" look shy! We often discuss self sufficiency on this forum, but how about bringing a boat back from France going astern, because the stem had been shot away and she was taking on too much water going ahead.

There is a typical tale of one skipper who, faced with a quiet night at sea, decided to explore the Channel Islands anchorages, that he had enjoyed before the war. And in so doing came across a German patrol, which he engaged and fought with great effect, despite their superior strength, until his boat became disabled and sunk.

The copy that I'm reading was a lucky find in a second hand book shop, but I suppose there may still be a chance of copies in libraries.

Ships_Cat

Visit site
There is also quite alot about his time in the coastal (and other) forces in his autobiography "The Eye of the Wind" - certainly very interesting stuff. Also quite a bit about his time in International 14 footers.

Unfortunately, in my mind, alot about geese to wade through to get to the interesting stuff in that book though.

Haven't come across, "Battle of the Narrow Seas" but will look out for it.

John

StugeronSteve

Visit site
I quite agree with you about the duck hunting stuff in "Eye of the Wind", but some of the other exploits, including Coastal Forces and gliding, made for intesting reading. IIRC it was a bit heavy on the name dropping as well, lots of "mummy took us round for tea with the King" etc.

Narrow Seas is far less autobiographical, infact Scott assumes the roll of editor, compiling accounts by many of the MTB/MGB/SGB commanding officers.

Ships_Cat

Visit site
I certainly agree about the name dropping etc.

In a way lessened my opinion of the man as I started wondering did he do what he did cos of who he knew or did he get to know who he did because of what he did. Not sure I am impressed by his paintings either.

John