Battens fouling lazy jacks when hoisting main

ianfr

picasaweb.google.com
Hi

I have had a couple of requests for a diagram.

I have copied the pdf I bodged together from another website, which seems to have stopped, and a diagram I created.

All the details are in the file.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9C4I8Y-OYBcT3VOMHhkdmQ1TlU&usp=sharing

Hope someone will find it useful. I certainly do :cool:

It is possible to download. The original article is literally a copy from the defunct web site.

Regards

Ian

Last edited:

skip50

Visit site
OK following on from my previous post, my problem is probably less than others, as my lazyjacks go over blocks approximately half way along the upper spreaders-there just happened to be convenient eyes already positioned there. So there is a significant gap between them. But I still like the idea of setting jib first, must give it a try-you are never too old to learn!

My lazyjacks are made up at the start of the season, and certainly in regular use, are never touched again until layup.

Seatrout

Visit site
Endorse....

A technique I found effective was to free off the mainsheet so the boom swung permitting the mainsail to feather, then hoist the sail until a batten caught on a lazyjack line, then ease the sail down a few inches until the light flogging and/or slight change of heading made it possible to haul the sail-and-batten up clear past that snagging-point. Then haul up some more until the same thing occurs to a different batten....then repeat the process. That took a few moments longer than a clean straight hoist, but never failed or caused further problems.

+2
This is the way.
I have tried the foresail up first technique, but found the main luff sliders fouled in their sleeve causing to much friction for a smooth, effortless hoist.

Lodesman77

Visit site
I have lazy jacks fitted with a downhaul.

When hoisting I release the uphaul, pull in the downhaul, leaving the lazy jacks lying along the boom.

Reverse when dropping the main.

Works for me, takes 30 seconds.

PM me if you want a diagram.

Regards

Ian

+1

Your pdf is the same one I used for inspiration...

Last edited:

Simondjuk

Visit site
Regarding lazyjacks which are taken to the spreaders, mine are and I don't like it. I have a fear that should the lines somehow be heavily loaded, they may bend or break the spreaders. It just looks wrong to attach a relatively strong line to the middle of a fairly spindly aluminium tube to me.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Regarding lazyjacks which are taken to the spreaders, mine are and I don't like it. I have a fear that should the lines somehow be heavily loaded, they may bend or break the spreaders. It just looks wrong to attach a relatively strong line to the middle of a fairly spindly aluminium tube to me.

Riggers walk out on the spreaders (well mine does) so I wouldn't worry about lazyjacks.

celandine

Visit site
I moved my lazy-jack blocks on to the spreaders. Being concerned about undue strain on the spreaders I only dared put them about five inches either side of the mast; however just this extra ten inches of width made an enormous difference, especially when hoisting single-handed.

Simondjuk

Visit site
Riggers walk out on the spreaders (well mine does) so I wouldn't worry about lazyjacks.

Fair enough on a big rig, been there and done it, but my boat is 40 feet, with accordingly sized spreaders. I think I'd be pretty unhappy if someone put their full weight on them at mid-span. At the hounds to help the grinder when going up the mast, yes, cautiously. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm not about to go and hang on my lazyjack lines to find out whether or not I'm unnecessarily so. :)