Baltimore 25

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
You could take a wild guess :)

I did. I suspected it might be something to do with what I now remember is the Jester Challenge, but at the time couldn't remember that blinkin' name for the life of me to look it up. :rolleyes:

For others not 'in the know':
Baltimore 2025 - (well, actually info about the previous one)
Baltimore 2023

I fancy taking the wee boat, the longbow wont be ready and is a foot too long. I know they’ve been before but it would be a proper challenge in the wee one.

Great idea. Go for it! (y)

I could get into it myself, but suspect I probably won't actually do it as I've a backlog of other trips I want to do queued up.

I know Baltimore and its marine surroundings - very scenic, interesting and challenging - as I used to live not far from there in County Cork, and used to do a lot of sea kayaking around there and elsewhere around the SW Ireland coast and islands (though never quite made it out to Fastnet, sadly). I didn't get much actual sailing in during that period, but did once go out from Baltimore, two-handed in a wooden 30ft modern replica of a traditional local open fishing sailing boat (forgotten proper name), which was quite an experience, not least for impressing on me how much less work modern lightweight Bermudan rigs with winches etc. are! :D

wingcommander

Visit site
Out of interest, is the official information regarding entry details published ie, dates of event, starting points etc . I notice from the 2023 event their were several boats in excess of 30 feet entering and also a North Wales start for us up here. I do have to admit this type of sailing is what I like best , with the emphasis on A to B not a race, no need for pre boat inspection saying you need to go and buy this and that, and no arm and a leg entrance fee involved.

pandos

Visit site
My LOA is to long, but am planning to visit Baltimore during 2025. That time might be about an hour after the start time. ;)
I might be visiting Plymouth and heading back to Baltimore around that same time.. it seems new rulers of the event have become more elitest, I was told on the Facebook page that "they" had decided that 32 feet was the cutoff, irrespective of past practices.

Not sure who "they" are,

I have emailed about the rules and how the boat is measured but have not received a response.

I had a previous invitation from Ewen, had spent a lot of money and time preparing my boat, even bought my burgee, but health issues intervened.

Sastrugi

Visit site
What are the best ways to find a suitable JC boat for Baltimore 25 and perhaps Rhode Island 26?
I made a list using data from Sailboatdata with some weighting criteria on different factors to help narrow down the choice and keep checking the usual websites.
Also just read Panakis’ Jester Challenge book.

Sastrugi

Visit site
What are the best ways to find a suitable JC boat for Baltimore 25 and perhaps Rhode Island 26?
I made a list using data from Sailboatdata with some weighting criteria on different factors to help narrow down the choice and keep checking the usual websites.
Also just read Panakis’ Jester Challenge book.
Thought it may interest others to see, comment on, criticise etc the list. What is obvious is that data ratios are not everything and when applying a weighting to each criteria to compare boats, the weighting factors will differ per person and heavily influence the results. This means of analysis ignores probably the most important factor and that is how the boat sails, the personal "connection" with a boat, its availability and affordability.

Attachments

• Jester Boat Comparison - Data.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 11

Gargleblaster

Visit site
Sastrugi, In your "Jester Boat Comparison" most of the boats are over 30 feet. Some notable exceptions such as the Twister which in my mind is probably the ideal boat for the Jester Challenge. the only one that made it though was Tony Head in 'Triple Venture'.

Over 30 feet does not eliminate you from the Jester Challenge and originally you needed to be invited by all skippers participating to be able to take part. But that became a bit hard and now it seems to be open slather.

One thing I would say that having done it twice in a flat bottomed fin keel boat, that it is not a ideal boat. The problenm is that after a gale when the waves are coming from the SW and the wind is from the NW they get very steep and over 4 knots you tend to fly off the top of the wave and land with a crash and much shaking of the boat and particularly the mast. But I did like the flat bottomed fin keel for lying a hull as it tended to slide sideways at about 4 knots and developed a lovely slick which mostly prevented the waves from breaking on the boat.

The most comfortable and best all round boat I completed the Jester Challenge in was a Rival 34. It could stand up to any weather and wave conditions and didn't slam the way my UFO27 did on the backside of a gale. However everyone gave me a lot of stick for completing the challeng in a boat over 30 feet, so I would never do it in a boat ove 30 feet again for that reason. Tried to do it in a 25 feet long keel boat but was swamped by a breaking wave and ended up with a cabin full of water and no electrics and all my bilge pumps blocked and it was only blowing F8.

Sastrugi

Visit site
Thanks for the response Gargleblaster and sharing your experiences. The list is not complete, and includes some boats that have never done the Jester. It's not meant to be an analysis of previous Jester Boats, more looking at boats Ive seen available that may be within "previously accepted" lengths and types.

Is the decision on what is acceptable also based on the route (e.g. different criteria for Baltimore vs Rhode Island)? Having a cut off would remove uncertainty, though possibly change the ethos of the event. Maybe a "Chichester class" or similar aka GGR for boats bigger than 30ft?

Not an easy decision, and luckily not one I have to, or want to make.

I can also well imagine that there would be some banter over a pint (of milk or other beverage or your choice) about participating with a boat over the "guideline" limit. A feeling of being welcome, but not equal. It's a challenge after all not a race, and the banter may well be part of the experience.

It's a fabulous initiative and I hope to be able to have a Jester experience in the future.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I might be visiting Plymouth and heading back to Baltimore around that same time.. it seems new rulers of the event have become more elitest, I was told on the Facebook page that "they" had decided that 32 feet was the cutoff, irrespective of past practices.

Not sure who "they" are,

I have emailed about the rules and how the boat is measured but have not received a response.

I had a previous invitation from Ewen, had spent a lot of money and time preparing my boat, even bought my burgee, but health issues intervened.
Perhaps we could set off about the same time.