Bailing out of Greece

V1701

Visit site
Turkey? I would not trust the place, they have an habit to change their laws to favour themselves. See what happened to Sunsail, you may find youself with an impounded yacht one day.

I just looked at Italy. More expensive than the UK. 1,000Euros/month for a berth without finger pontoon.

The trouble is that with the weak Pound we have become the poors of Europe. Will have to sail with patches on sails and oilies soon.

Ah, poor you...

Malo37

Visit site
Have any of the Greece bashers looked at the UK financial situation recently? On many measures the UK is in an even worse situation than Greece, hence the poor value of the pound and everywhere else seeming expensive. Quote from Robert peston -the borrowing and repayment profiles for Spain, Portugal and the UK are rather more like Greece's - with some substantial financing challenges ahead.

Marsupial

Visit site
Economics 101

I am reading this thread and having a little chuckle, most (not all) of the contributors seem to think that when a country is in trouble price rises are inevitable. As luck would have it things are not that simplistic, nor is that the only outcome. Prices adjust to the ability of people to pay, if the greek gov take more money out of the economy in taxation then prices will fall because people will have less disposable income. If you dont believe me look at Japan. They may try and inflate prices short term for a captive foreign market but that wont work in supermarkets or where people have a choice and over time all prices will fall to what people can afford or are willing to pay; OR the offering is withdrawn because its uneconomic. Greece is I think headed back a few decades in money values, and perhaps the rest of the Eurozone too.

It took SWMBO a few hours to find lots of places in Greece Italy and Turkey that are significantly cheaper (40%) for mooring our 13M boat compared to the UK (Dover) - so where I am sitting at the moment the Med is still a very viable place to be, AND IF the other PIGS countries do pull the Euro down despite the poor value of the pound and its significant troubles the pound to Euro rate should improve, thus making the Med affordable.

doris

Visit site
Turkey? I would not trust the place, they have an habit to change their laws to favour themselves. See what happened to Sunsail, you may find youself with an impounded yacht one day.

If you are talking about the Sunsail clubs, then check the facts. SS were breaking the rules, which they knew all about, and employing lots of people for the whole summer on 3 month tourist visas. They were lucky no-one got some serious time in the slammer. Think Midnight Express

Visit site
It took SWMBO a few hours to find lots of places in Greece Italy and Turkey that are significantly cheaper (40%) for mooring our 13M boat compared to the UK (Dover) - so where I am sitting at the moment the Med is still a very viable place to be, AND IF the other PIGS countries do pull the Euro down despite the poor value of the pound and its significant troubles the pound to Euro rate should improve, thus making the Med affordable.

Interesting. But is that because Greek prices are low or because Dover prices are silly? Friend of ours with a boat in Turkey is paying roughly the same as we are in Cardiff

LymingtonPugwash

Visit site
Bailing out of Greece? How about North Africa

I've been looking carefully at the North African coast again recently.
Egypt, Libya, Tunisia.
I've been hearing a lot of good things about major marina investment in Libya and Tunisia over the last few years and understand that prices are very reasonable and security is excellent. Does anybody else have any recent experience?

Marsupial

Visit site
Interesting. But is that because Greek prices are low or because Dover prices are silly? Friend of ours with a boat in Turkey is paying roughly the same as we are in Cardiff

Dover is approx £254 per mtr per year inc vat and electricty (£3300), or about 1/3rd of chichester (so I am led to believe). I priced my boat here (Fethiye) yesterday and it was 2,800E inc electricity.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Dover is approx £254 per mtr per year inc vat and electricty (£3300), or about 1/3rd of chichester (so I am led to believe). I priced my boat here (Fethiye) yesterday and it was 2,800E inc electricity.

Sorry, I still don`t get it ,Why, why ,why do people talk about yearly contracts in Turkey or Greece.You are able to sail for 10 months of the year and use the town quays for free for the other two,This marina mentality is wrong for the eastern med

cheers

Tottington Hall, near Bury, in the Duchy of Lancas
Visit site
If you are talking about the Sunsail clubs, then check the facts. SS were breaking the rules, which they knew all about, and employing lots of people for the whole summer on 3 month tourist visas. They were lucky no-one got some serious time in the slammer.

I seem to recall that another UK-based flotilla operator got into deep poo in Greece, quite some years ago, due to its regular practice of asking many of its customers at Gatwick to carry out a 'box of spares for your yacht', then the reps at Gouvia, or wherever, taking the boxes from them at the Greek end.

They weren't declaring or paying taxes on this valuable stuff at either end, there was a whole lot of it, and it was all stacking up in a warehouse. The problem came when they started selling 'bits' to their flotilla competitors, who blew the whistle, which led to a court case over significant tax evasion.

That resulted in some hefty fines, which were deferred-in-stages by the court due to the damage likely to fragile local island economies, should the company be wound up for unpaid debts/fines.

Come the end of season, just before a big instalment on the fine was due, the flotilla company was caught at Poros, sneaking one flotilla from Levkas away to Turkish waters 'for refit'. Its several other flotillas in Greek waters were similarly en route to Turkey and out of the Greek courts' jurisdiction.

One part of the problem was that ordinary paying 'joes' were crewing the boats, in innocence and ignorance of the ploy, trusting the judgement of the flotillas' skippers, one of whom was determined to get out of Poros, heading 110nm east to the next island chain on the itinerary, despite an F9 gale being forecast. The gale blew the expected F9 for four days, and cruise ships were sheltering, double anchored, in the bay at Mykonos.

The Poros flotilla, and the others, remained chained to the quays, and safe, by order of the Harbourmasters.

Of course, the Daily Wail made a 'cause celebre' from it....

Rather naughty!

200px-Freenet_logosvg-1-1.png

SAWDOC

Visit site
Anyone else considering bailing out of Greece? The tail end of last year saw provisioning prices in Greece reach silly levels with goods in supermarkets outstripping the local Waitrose here at home.

With the current economic climate in Greece I can only see rampant inflation as the locals try to make up for the fact that they will actually have to pay their taxes, fund their public services and service their debts.

You should really write a song about that.
It reminds me of Janis Joplin singing " Man I left Texas with nothing but my name...."

SAWDOC

Visit site
I am reading this thread and having a little chuckle, most (not all) of the contributors seem to think that when a country is in trouble price rises are inevitable. As luck would have it things are not that simplistic, nor is that the only outcome. Prices adjust to the ability of people to pay, if the greek gov take more money out of the economy in taxation then prices will fall because people will have less disposable income. If you dont believe me look at Japan. They may try and inflate prices short term for a captive foreign market but that wont work in supermarkets or where people have a choice and over time all prices will fall to what people can afford or are willing to pay; OR the offering is withdrawn because its uneconomic. Greece is I think headed back a few decades in money values, and perhaps the rest of the Eurozone too.

PIGS??? Marsupial?? Where is this? Discovery Channel??

Marsupial

Visit site
Sorry, I still don`t get it ,Why, why ,why do people talk about yearly contracts in Turkey or Greece.You are able to sail for 10 months of the year and use the town quays for free for the other two,This marina mentality is wrong for the eastern med

cheers

NOT if you already live there

get up walk down the road go sailing - what have I missed?

Marsupial

Visit site
PIGS??? Marsupial?? Where is this? Discovery Channel??

sorry if its too hard for you

P stands for Portugal

I stands for Ireland some say Italy as well

G stands for Greece

S stands for Spain

these are the counrtries that are currently presenting the greatest risk to the Euro*.

* Euro : a well konwn currency for the exchange of goods and services used in most of Europe on planet earth*.

* Planet Earth : thats the third big rock moving out from the sun.

Its that easier for you to understand?

anyway the next few months will be very interersting to see how this mess sorts itself out.

Last edited: