Bad weather

AndrewB

Visit site
... but once out the other side with 2.5 mts waves and winds touching 30 kts we decide there was only one option , itea
Are you in Itea now, SailaboutVic? We've just transferred there from Galaxidi, which was far too exposed, very uncomfortable last night and threatens to be worse tonight.

Unlike Caladh I don't rate Itea, it's too dirty with the mining, but "any port in a storm".

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Are you in Itea now, SailaboutVic? We've just transferred there from Galaxidi, which was far too exposed, very uncomfortable last night and threatens to be worse tonight.

Unlike Caladh I don't rate Itea, it's too dirty with the mining, but "any port in a storm".
Hi Andrew
Yes we in Itea now . And there another one cruiser in the harbour from here .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic: sorry, should have mentioned this before.
When we were last in the Gulf of Corinth in blowy conditions only the Athens University weather site seemed to have a grip on what was happening: http://forecast.uoa.gr/ICLAMS/index.php
Everything else was all over the place.

Now you tell me Hahaha ,cool Mac , these things happen .
out of four forecaster not one got anywhere near the conditions, I always found as a rule if two or three say the same , there not far wrong , but nothing came near what we got yesterday or the sea state .
It wasn't much fun hang on the wheel for 8 hours for me or Christine .
Our friends who have sailed over the world in the 46 foot Cat said , they won't be getting on a mono hull any time soon .

laika

Visit site
First mate being somewhat fed up with boats we're currently on our first "land holiday" in some time. Here on Kythera it's currently blowing a gale, due to increase to F9 gusting 11 tomorrow with heavy rain. Back at Brighton marina it'll be 19 degrees, wall to wall sunshine and F1-2 from the south and east.

On the upside, windy's predictions for the "medicane" seem to have softened considerably since last night which means I might actually make it to work on monday.

AndrewB

Visit site
Vic: sorry, should have mentioned this before.
When we were last in the Gulf of Corinth in blowy conditions only the Athens University weather site seemed to have a grip on what was happening: http://forecast.uoa.gr/ICLAMS/index.php
Everything else was all over the place.
Good site MacD, thanks for that. I specially like the prediction for Saturday:

gustkph_084-2.jpg

Winds up to 100kt coupled with a prediction of 14 metre swells in the Aegean - who says sailing in Greece is the soft option?

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
That looks pretty hairy, Andrew. I'd have my doubts (from the comfort of an armchair) about 14m seas. I recommended the site because it seems to give better macro forecasts for Greece than others. I devoutly hope it's wrong about Saturday.

Gribs show that particular intense low kicking off over Libya tonight, then moving quite slowly N then E, but filling somewhat as it approaches the Aegean.

Stay safe, all.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
That looks pretty hairy, Andrew. I'd have my doubts (from the comfort of an armchair) about 14m seas. I recommended the site because it seems to give better macro forecasts for Greece than others. I devoutly hope it's wrong about Saturday.

Gribs show that particular intense low kicking off over Libya tonight, then moving quite slowly N then E, but filling somewhat as it approaches the Aegean.

Stay safe, all.

If it gets too much we just have Andrew over and we just all get pissed untill the storm pass . :)

We healing over quite a bit now , fenders looking a bit squeeze, not sure if we would had been better on our anchor .
As a rule I rather have sea both side then a concrete wall .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We not long had two big gust that leaned the yacht over the concrete wall , not sure why all the fenders didn't pop .
Local forecaster showin nothing like we getting , only super windfinder is showing it .
Here in Itea with two other YBW forumate ,

charles_reed

Visit site
Anchored Boufalos, mid Evvia. Wind speed this morning 05:30, 37kts.
GRIBs seem uncertain about outcomes, but probably 7s continuing until tonight (Thursday) and then probably dropping to a BF3 by 18:00 Friday night.
Endless problems of dinghy flipping, now got it nestling on twin bridles, bows touching the tiller stock.
So a new OB almost certainly required.
The short-shaft Honda 2.3 appears to meet the replacement specification but 4 years ago had an appalling reputation for rust due to ignoring the need for SS fixings.Has anyone had a different experience with more recent models?

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Anchored in Vliho Bay, winds from north, F5-6, gusting F8, been blowing since yesterday afternoon. Looks set to stay about the same until Saturday early morning. Lots of folks in sitt8ng things out, many more than normal for this time of year.

Mediclone forecast on Zygrib shows it not going to far north and disappearing off to the east. It would have brought severe SE winds to the Ionian - a difficult area to get everyone into shelter if its still very busy.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Mediclone forecast on Zygrib shows it not going to far north and disappearing off to the east. It would have brought severe SE winds to the Ionian - a difficult area to get everyone into shelter if its still very busy.

Yes, the first se5 of forecasts earlier this week had the centre moving east then north east into the Aegean before filling and dispersing. It’s now tracking east and filling. Just slightly concerned that it might decide to slide north with little east in it, that would be worrying because, as you say, we’d wind up with strong SE winds and whilst Vliho is OK, other places are much less protected.