'Back-tow' lifejackets?

dunedin

Visit site
TeamO have a tether design in development. They do seem to be careful in the way they go about things rather than rushing stuff into production. I like what they do.

TeamO was the make tested in the Yachting Monthly article (that nobody seems to have seen ;)
Whilst advanced in terms of harness, apparently Crewsaver etc have advanced a bit in terms of the core lifejacket bladder, so TeamO working on a second version with improved lifejacket bladder.

mm42

Visit site
In the swiftwater rescue world our tethers are attached to the rear of our buoyancy aids as sometimes we’re lowered down on a long line to rescue a casualty and obviously we need to be face up.

To get around the issue of clipping on we use a cowtail, a short tether just long enough to pass under your arm, clip onto a breakaway clip on your front. It allows one to clip your tether onto a long line, or other bits of kit, without needing assistance, or having to take your buoyancy aid off.

If clipping onto a back attachment point was causing problems with a yacht tether I don’t see any reason a similar cowtail arrangement couldn’t be used.

Visit site
In the swiftwater rescue world our tethers are attached to the rear of our buoyancy aids as sometimes we’re lowered down on a long line to rescue a casualty and obviously we need to be face up.

To get around the issue of clipping on we use a cowtail, a short tether just long enough to pass under your arm, clip onto a breakaway clip on your front. It allows one to clip your tether onto a long line, or other bits of kit, without needing assistance, or having to take your buoyancy aid off.

If clipping onto a back attachment point was causing problems with a yacht tether I don’t see any reason a similar cowtail arrangement couldn’t be used.
Interesting, when you say 'breakaway', does that mean a weak link with a predetermined breaking load? Because on a yacht I often hang on my tether (sideways) to brace myself, so I would need this attachment point to 'breakaway' at not under, say 100 kg.

mm42

Visit site
Interesting, when you say 'breakaway', does that mean a weak link with a predetermined breaking load? Because on a yacht I often hang on my tether (sideways) to brace myself, so I would need this attachment point to 'breakaway' at not under, say 100 kg.

Yes but it’s nowhere near that high a load, for us it’s purely in case you get snagged in the water with your cowtail clipped to your front so that it’ll release rather than just tying you up. The cowtail is also fitted with a quick release buckle for such situations so you can let yourself go if you do get completely snagged and need to ditch the cowtail and whatever it’s snagged on.

Visit site
Yes but it’s nowhere near that high a load, for us it’s purely in case you get snagged in the water with your cowtail clipped to your front so that it’ll release rather than just tying you up. The cowtail is also fitted with a quick release buckle for such situations so you can let yourself go if you do get completely snagged and need to ditch the cowtail and whatever it’s snagged on.
Thanks for the info

Seajet

Visit site

Fast jet aircraft parachute drogue straps have several rows of breakaway stitching, going progessively stronger, maybe something like this may be a solution ?

I can't help thinking all this so far is ' one shot ' stuff; on a long trip one may not have all that many spare lifejacket / harnesses...

Visit site
Fast jet aircraft parachute drogue straps have several rows of breakaway stitching, going progessively stronger, maybe something like this may be a solution ?

I can't help thinking all this so far is ' one shot ' stuff; on a long trip one may not have all that many spare lifejacket / harnesses...
You can repack the TeamO ones like Minn's ones, it's just a matter of re clipping the front attachment point to its D-ring.

I happenned to see that Screwfix sell certified fall arrest tethers and harnesses ( for work on building sites etc) which are waterproof, for under £40..if Screwfix sell them, so must lots of other people and it's worth investigating..

dunedin

Visit site
Just received one of the TeamO back tow lifejackets as a birthday present from my son.
Not yet (or hopefully ever) used the back tow in anger, but initial impressions very good - looks a very professional well thought out product with many neat touches. Very comfortable and looks smart. So that’s me sorted with a new lifejacket!

Was also sent a link to a good video review of the TeamO lifejacket. Towed behind a dinghy at 2-3 knots in flat water rather than beside a yacht in waves at 6 knots. But certainly demonstrated the dangers of forward tow even at such low speeds, and the advantage of back tow to keep nose and mouth above water. https://youtu.be/G91XpamH79Q

dunedin

Visit site
Happy Birthday! I think you would be doing the forum a great service by testing it (or getting your son to do so) with video of the result.

The water is a bit chilly up here at this time of year. Perhaps with a bit of forum crowd funding I could test both the lifejacket and taking it through the airport by heading to say Croatia for warmer water. Send your donations now ......

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The water is a bit chilly up here at this time of year. Perhaps with a bit of forum crowd funding I could test both the lifejacket and taking it through the airport by heading to say Croatia for warmer water. Send your donations now ......

Just send me some samples and I will test then in some nice warm subtropical waters. today 22 C

Achosenman

Visit site
I would have thought a redesign of the tether system would do the same thing.

Just thinking out loud.
For current tethers attach the short end to the front strong point, attach the long end to the back webbing strap. If you are dragged, release the short end and let the rear attachment do its job...it might work, then again it might not.

dunedin

Visit site
I would have thought a redesign of the tether system would do the same thing.

Just thinking out loud.
For current tethers attach the short end to the front strong point, attach the long end to the back webbing strap. If you are dragged, release the short end and let the rear attachment do its job...it might work, then again it might not.

You try releasing the short tether when being towed faced down at 6 knots. It isn’t going to happen

Daydream believer

Visit site
Why does everyone think that they will go overboard at 6kts. I can see this happening for those that insist on reefing at the mast (or perhaps messing about standing on the foredeck with one of those silly snuffers ) but surely for average cruiser sailors the danger points are when approaching port putting lines and fenders out, dropping the main, or approaching a mooring and standing on deck waving the boat hook.
At that point surely one slows the boat down, not charge forward like some destroyer heading to battle
If the seas are big one tends to stay in the cockpit not go walkies on the deck. How often, on the average cruising boat do we get sweeping seas across the deck? We are not all sailing volvo racers.
if we are racing there will be ample crew and it is not a husband and wife situation that forumites are describing above.
On 2 of the. Ocassions that I went over the boat was almost stopped.

Achosenman

Visit site
Why does everyone think that they will go overboard at 6kts. I can see this happening for those that insist on reefing at the mast (or perhaps messing about standing on the foredeck with one of those silly snuffers ) but surely for average cruiser sailors the danger points are when approaching port putting lines and fenders out, dropping the main, or approaching a mooring and standing on deck waving the boat hook.
At that point surely one slows the boat down, not charge forward like some destroyer heading to battle
If the seas are big one tends to stay in the cockpit not go walkies on the deck. How often, on the average cruising boat do we get sweeping seas across the deck? We are not all sailing volvo racers.
if we are racing there will be ample crew and it is not a husband and wife situation that forumites are describing above.
On 2 of the. Ocassions that I went over the boat was almost stopped.[/QUOTE

Me too, I was walking back having just tidied the main up before heading into Portsmouth, when the boom nudged across and I almost went in, we were doing about 2kts.