B1/B2 visa catch 22

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
I was wrong about unlimited time on a B1/B2 but you can extend it to a year.

The maximum duration for extension you can ask for is 6 months. Also, you can not apply for a visitor visa extension as many times as you want. The maximum you can stay on B1/B2 visa is 1 year

No, 'you' can't/don't decide; all the B1/B2 visa seems to confer is the right to arrive in the US and front-up to the local Homeland Security Officer's desk, at that point 'they' decide how long you can enter for. As I said, 'they' genrally grant a period of six months, but whilst we've met a few people who asked for and were granted longer periods, we also met a few who despite asking for six months were only granted periods of 3 & 4 months.

I've not heard of, or met anyone who has asked for/been granted any 'extension' to the initial period granted and if this were true, I'm sure that we'd have met at least one person who'd done it, as we've met dozens, who like ourselves, were having to arrange their plans to allow for a departure & subsequent re-entry near the end of their initial six months.

Last edited:

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
No, 'you' can't/don't decide; all the B1/B2 visa seems to confer is the right to arrive in the US and front-up to the local Homeland Security Officer's desk, at that point 'they' decide how long you can enter for. As I said, 'they' genrally grant a period of six months, but whilst we've met a few people who asked for and were granted longer periods, we also met a few who despite asking for six months were only granted periods of 3 & 4 months.

I've not heard of, or met anyone who has asked for/been granted any 'extension' to the initial period granted and if this were true, I'm sure that we'd have met at least one person who'd done it, as we've met dozens, who like ourselves, were having to arrange their plans to allow for a departure & subsequent re-entry near the end of their initial six months.

You can apply to extend your visa stay.

See https://www.uscis.gov/visit-united-states/extend-your-stay

They even recognise crew as being one class that may need to do so. I know of two people who have successfully done this. The fee is substantial and non refundable.

Last edited: