B&G T7 Multifunction display cannot find radar after factory reset. Sailing Azores to Norway - would like radar working

hans

Visit site
During our passage from Antigua here to Horta in the Azores our B&G MFD type T7 went black. On turning the display on, the B&G logo came up but after that only a black screen. We could however use both the plotter and radar on the Ipad through the GoFree WiFi function.

Then I probably did something unwise: I did a back to factory reset («Switch off the unit, press and hold the zoom in and zoom out keys and switch on the unit. Release the zoom keys after some 5 – 6 secs. A second beep confirms the reset»)

The following happened:
  • The display worked again and we could access the plotter including AIS information. Some navigation functions such as distance to waypoint not working.
  • MFD cannot find radar. From menu – radar installation – message stating Type of antenna: Unknown radar skanner. (Our radar is a Broadband 3G 543 software-version 3.038 and serial no 1404302543).
  • MFD cannot find Go Free. On the list of connected equipment neither radar nor GoFree appears
There is current in the wires to both radar and GoFree units. Yes, we have also changed the fuses. The LED lights on the units do however not light up. It appears the MFD cannot turn the units on? Yellow wire («ignition») connected to positive on both units.

We would very much like to have the radar up and running before onward passage to UK and homeport in Norway. We have two spare plotters on board (not compatible with our radar) so if we have to choose to use the B&G MFD as display for radar or plotter we would choose radar.

Any suggestions as to solving this would be much appreciated!

hans

Visit site
Thanks for the feedback Skylark. After scrolling through the menus in the calm of Horta harbour it seems we have solved the riddle. It appears a factory re set defines the MFD as «slave» not «master». On changing the setting to «master» we seem to have contact with radar again. Some stress testing remains. Amazing how much bettr the brain functions in the calm of a harbour rather than bouncing around offshore!

KompetentKrew

Visit site
During our passage from Antigua here to Horta in the Azores our B&G MFD type T7 went black. On turning the display on, the B&G logo came up but after that only a black screen.
Could the night watch possibly have turned the brightness down all the way?

In sunlight I find this setting to be indistinguishable from black.

Fix is to remote in with the tablet, as you did, and then find this menu:

lHSrFI3.jpg

I can't recollect to describe the exact way to find it - you have to exit the chart to the screen before that, and then it's fairly obvious. An icon of a power symbol or something.