B&D Workmate box wm450

sarabande

Visit site
Before I lash out on this box, does anyone have any comments please ? It looks as if it might have merit on board in conjunction with a couple of clamps and a small vice.

BLACK+DECKER WM450 Workmate Workbox for sale online | eBay

Q8SWFII.jpg

Keith-i

Visit site
I had one once. A neat idea but I found the clamping mechanism on the top to be rather poor. A bit too plasticky overall. Also a bit heavy and cumbersome to use as a tool box unless you can leave it in one position.

Boathook

Visit site
I was given an old workmate where the legs had failed but the clamp bits were fine. Took it to bits and made a low base so it fits easily in the car, etc for when I go down to do minor works. Did think of keeping it on board but it wouldn't get use enough.

Edit, Pictures now attached.
The wood is deep enough to allow the handles to turn and the metal rods keep the wood attached plus add stability to the frame.

20220726_095704 1.jpg20220726_095718 1.jpg20220726_095724 1.jpg

Last edited:

Poignard

Visit site

capetown

Visit site
Before I lash out on this box, does anyone have any comments please ? It looks as if it might have merit on board in conjunction with a couple of clamps and a small vice.

Q8SWFII.jpg
I have one but it ain’t a tardis, big box but not much internal space.
on this photo there’s a missing clear cover that goes over the three sections on the grass.
it should also have a lift out tray that lives just under the wooden jaws.
I personally find it too deep and prefer shallow boxes to store tools as the one you need is always at the bottom.
Ive taken mine home. But each to their own, you may love it.

penberth3

Visit site

Q8SWFII.jpg

It's a lot of money, these used to be car boot and junk shop bargains.

You could easily make something similar from plywood. Probably stronger and you could arrange the storage space to suit your needs. Add a groove to hold stuff for sawing, a lip on at least two edges for G-clamps, and maybe a small clamp-on vice for small jobs/metalwork.

William_H

Visit site
I have a very old one. No storage just clamp and legs to raise it to work trestle height. Occasionally used. Good for wood work. I think the idea of tool storage is bad. Just makers it heavy. I have an old gym bag for loading all tools needed for a job. Easy to carry. ol'will

ashtead

Visit site
I guess it depends on how large is vessel and space/number of crew. Personally although I have standard old workmate it’s heavy for boat use . If you load this with tools it might make it to much to say lift from locker -I guess you need to think of light stuff you might keep in drawers as opposed to spanner’s,hammers etc. might seek to store say cleaning materials in on place but I use plastic boxes with handles for this purpose. A small portable vice might go in the boxes maybe and a few plastic clamps. It might serve most use to sit on under the spray hood in the gangway below to stay protected if the box could be made to fit over the hatchway step?

LiftyK

Visit site
I have one. It’s perfect to take to the boats when I have jobs to do, being handy to assist sawing or vice work (er, in the boat maintenance sense).

Supertramp

Visit site
I have one and used it on the boat. Stopped this year as a standard toolbox had more storage and was easier to use. Agree with the MDF top comment. It is quicker to set up than a full workmate. I hardly used the work top on the boat. A wood clamp and some old bits of wood to work on is more useful for me.