AZAB 2023

matt1

Visit site
Hi Everyone

I've had a longstanding ambition / vague intention of doing the AZAB. Having worked continuously for 30 odd years, I'm finally with an employer where I may be able to blag three weeks off to do the race in 2023 - The next time it comes round I will be 59 so kinda wanna get on with it if I'm going to ;-)

Given the constraints of work (eg time poor) most of my sailing has been pottering around the S Coast / Solent but I've been sailing since early childhood and helped deliver a new Beneteau from France to St Lucia when I was 20 ...so have some appreciation of ocean sailing. Am now trying to weigh up a few things & budget, like;

1) What's involved in getting an IRC measurement done and what would it cost

2) The boat is a 2018 40' Hanse 418 - what am I likely to need to do / spend to achieve "class 1" status (whatever that is)

3) Strikes me the hardest part would be doing a solo 300m qualifying passage. Again, I'm time poor and so by definition this would have to be done locally with the associated risk of being singlehanded within a busy coastal / offshore environment

4) Is it likely I could get insurance for the race? Or for the qualifying passage - noting most insurers have a 12 hour solo limit

To be clear, mine would very much be a corinthian entry ;-)

Any thoughts / advice welcome

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
I think you're talking about ORC Cat 1 which is the safety requirements for a longer offshore race. There's lots of copies on-line, and getting your boat compliant is a matter of starting your preparations early and plugging away. It can be quite expensive, so the more you research it, the more options you have to beg / steal / borrow kit. But the compliance requirement is only a check-list. You can either choose to see it as that and simply tick each item off, or use it constructively as part of a broader framework for preparing you and your boat.

Three weeks to do the AZAB is quite tight. It was traditionally seen as being an option for those who could get a month off as opposed to 2 months plus for the OSTAR.

The RORC measurement office will let you know what's involved with getting an iRC measurement. The commoner the boat, the easier it is.

The qualification trip is indeed quite demanding. Poor planning for the preparation often means it is crammed into the months just prior to the start. I can't emphasise enough how beneficial it is to do it the season before in a boat that is fully prepared. Use a crew / family to move the boat to a better starting position and try to go off soundings to test you/the boat out in the ocean.

Get in with the Solo Offshore Racing Club: SOLO Offshore Racing Club - SOLO Offshore Racing Club They usually organise an event that counts as the qualification. Having a concrete start date for this also focusses the mind in getting ready. They are also a source of infinite wisdom. Don't worry if you find them a bit doom mongering. They are really focussed on the build-up to a successful OSTAR, and have a lot of experience doing that. Generaly their advice is spot on and born of experience. Probably best to listen carefully.

Make three lists: 1) The absolute essential things that must be done before the race. 2) The things that would be good to do and would make a huge difference. 3) The things that ideally you would like to have in place before the start.

Then throw list 3 away. Throw list 2 away in a years time.

Consider doing it as the AZAB 1-2 if you are tight on time. Find a crew who could bring the boat back on their own if needs be should time run out. Then you can always fly back from the Azores if needs be. Alternatively if time is still okay, you can then enjoy have a second person on board for the 'easier leg', and the benefit of having company as you come into the Western Approaches when you're most tired.

I have insurance with Pantaenius that doesn't place restrictions on my cruising singlehanded. SORC will be a good source of race insurance info.

When working out a budget, one huge item that almost overshadows everything else is your self steering capability. If you have a strong, powerful, reliable, system with spares and redundancy already, then that's a world different from starting with a blank sheet. But don't underestimate quite how critical it is to get this sorted: singlehanded long distance sailing is tough. Singlehanded sailing without a functioning self steering system is hell.

Last edited:

gertha

Visit site
Preparing the boat , from my experience, here what I recommend.
The regs ask a lot , some can be taken with a pinch of salt, the probability is no one will check your boat.
You really do need more than just a furling jib, the regs ask for it . my solution on a Hanse 370 was a removable inner forestay, plus a few hank on sails.
Never in the regs ; but for offshore work, electricity is the killer of many boats. You will need enough power to keep the toys going plus a back up or two. A small petrol generator will not conform to what is asked; but it will charge your batteries when no one is looking.

The qualifying sail your rearly, really need to do, if not you will not know what you are letting yourself in for.

3 weeks is not enough, you need 4.
If 3 is all you have either, crew with someone or find a different challenge.

PM me if you want more info setting up a Hanse

Simon

matt1

Visit site
Thanks Simon. I realise it's more like a 4 week gig but am probably stuck in "selling it to my employer" mode, so fall into that habit of referencing it as only 3 weeks ;-)

The headsail issue is interesting. Last boat had a self tacking jib but I always rigged the 105% when offshore and it made an appreciable difference. Unfortunately it's not apparent how I could do that on the Hanse as the tracks would likely have to go on the coachroof halliard covers - which I doubt would be strong enough. That said the vertical battens help a lot on this self tacking set up.

I really want to do the qualifying sail before I have to pay the entry fee and start incurring costs, so in my mind that would be next season ideally.

Honeymonster

Visit site
I did the 2015 AZAB both ways solo.
  • Cat 1 regs will not be a problem for the Hanse 418 - it is just kit, some minor mods, saftey gear and money
  • To get to the start, do the outward leg, chill out in the Azores, finish the race, get back to your home port - definitely 4 weeks
  • I qualified for the AZAB by doing a SORC (Solo Offshore Racing Club) event - great crowd of people. Open with advice and a lot of experience throughout their fleet from hot shot racers through to adventurer cruiser racers. They understand boat set up, power management, safety, sleep management and can help focus your preparations
  • IRC - To get a standard rating is relatively easy and will cost under £200. An Endorsed Rating will cost more and involve craneage to weigh the boat, but will most probably result in a lower rating, which it does not sound like is high priority for you, as the challenge seems to weigh more heavily than the result
  • You can't spend enough money on a reliable Autopilot solution, with redundancy built in. There are pilots and there are pilots, and good ones are worth their weight in gold. It must sail efficiently to the wind (True downwind and Apparent upwind). Correct calibration of the instruments and understanding the variable pilot perameters will pay dividends. Without a decent pilot you will NOT enjoy the race as a solo skipper
  • Insurance is an issue. A reason why the organisers are now allowing "crewed" entries (more than 2 people), which is a shame as it will dilute the DNA of the event.
The AZAB is a fantastic race. Do it of you can!

matt1

Visit site
I did the 2015 AZAB both ways solo.
  • Cat 1 regs will not be a problem for the Hanse 418 - it is just kit, some minor mods, saftey gear and money
  • To get to the start, do the outward leg, chill out in the Azores, finish the race, get back to your home port - definitely 4 weeks
  • I qualified for the AZAB by doing a SORC (Solo Offshore Racing Club) event - great crowd of people. Open with advice and a lot of experience throughout their fleet from hot shot racers through to adventurer cruiser racers. They understand boat set up, power management, safety, sleep management and can help focus your preparations
  • IRC - To get a standard rating is relatively easy and will cost under £200. An Endorsed Rating will cost more and involve craneage to weigh the boat, but will most probably result in a lower rating, which it does not sound like is high priority for you, as the challenge seems to weigh more heavily than the result
  • You can't spend enough money on a reliable Autopilot solution, with redundancy built in. There are pilots and there are pilots, and good ones are worth their weight in gold. It must sail efficiently to the wind (True downwind and Apparent upwind). Correct calibration of the instruments and understanding the variable pilot perameters will pay dividends. Without a decent pilot you will NOT enjoy the race as a solo skipper
  • Insurance is an issue. A reason why the organisers are now allowing "crewed" entries (more than 2 people), which is a shame as it will dilute the DNA of the event.
The AZAB is a fantastic race. Do it of you can!

That's great - thanks. Out of interest what boat did you do it on? I'm really impressed with the pilot that came with the boat (std B&G gear) and it is very good off the wind compared to my old tiller pilot on the last boat. BUT...clearly reliability is a consideration and one I need to get my head around. If I'd had more choice I would have spec'd Raymarine rather than B&G. I'm vaguely toying with windvane self steering which I'm told will work even with such a wide transom....but I probably need some real world examples to convince me! Agree with your sentiment about the addition of a crewed class btw

dunedin

Visit site
Make three lists: 1) The absolute essential things that must be done before the race. 2) The things that would be good to do and would make a huge difference. 3) The things that ideally you would like to have in place before the start.

Then throw list 3 away. Throw list 2 away in a years time.

Brilliant :) The voice of experience, methinks

dunedin

Visit site
That's great - thanks. Out of interest what boat did you do it on? I'm really impressed with the pilot that came with the boat (std B&G gear) and it is very good off the wind compared to my old tiller pilot on the last boat. BUT...clearly reliability is a consideration and one I need to get my head around. If I'd had more choice I would have spec'd Raymarine rather than B&G. I'm vaguely toying with windvane self steering which I'm told will work even with such a wide transom....but I probably need some real world examples to convince me! Agree with your sentiment about the addition of a crewed class btw

Not sure why you would have preferred Raymarine over B&G kit? Both make excellent autopilots, and perhaps arguably for saily boats B&G are slightly ahead at the moment (though that can change).

I know others may not agree, but I would suggest that already today (and certainly by 2023) autopilot capability is now massively ahead of wind vane, and getting better and better all the time. Handling of waves is amazing with the latest generation - and if you speak to the people working on Open 60 race pilots you start to understand why, with a lot of this then filtering down, The main issue previously was power, but that has also advanced hugely with solar being really effective, and a Watt&Sea hydro-generator a better addition for the stern which will give a lot of power.
Then it becomes a question of what autopilot spares and/or duplication you want to carry. (NB. Anecdotally on the ARC I did, the very few wind vane users had a much higher failure rate than the ubiquitous electronic autopilots, which seemed very reliable).

matt1

Visit site
Not sure why you would have preferred Raymarine over B&G kit? Both make excellent autopilots, and perhaps arguably for saily boats B&G are slightly ahead at the moment (though that can change).

I know others may not agree, but I would suggest that already today (and certainly by 2023) autopilot capability is now massively ahead of wind vane, and getting better and better all the time. Handling of waves is amazing with the latest generation - and if you speak to the people working on Open 60 race pilots you start to understand why, with a lot of this then filtering down, The main issue previously was power, but that has also advanced hugely with solar being really effective, and a Watt&Sea hydro-generator a better addition for the stern which will give a lot of power.
Then it becomes a question of what autopilot spares and/or duplication you want to carry. (NB. Anecdotally on the ARC I did, the very few wind vane users had a much higher failure rate than the ubiquitous electronic autopilots, which seemed very reliable).

Thanks for the insight on ARC Windvane reliability. As I said, very impressed with how the B&G pilot handles conditions. I guess the attraction of a windvane is purely as a"get out of jail / get you home" option in all manner of scenarios including complete electrical failure. That may sound unlikely but given the electrical distribution includes a PCB, and other completely unfamiliar componentry, it's certainly nothing I could fix. So I'm just thinking of it as a belt n braces back up with the B&G Pilot being the primary steering as it would be far superior. The preference for Raymarine was around reliability. The last Hugo Boss had 2 Raymarine drive units, the redundant one never having been used apparently. Lots to think about and thanks for all the useful suggestions ;-)

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
I've always used a windvane as my primary self steering gear with a basic electronic one for use in very light, fluky winds.

The reasons are partly historic in that I got into this habit when that was normal - it was what everyone did! But I also appreciate that my 'success' with windvanes is due to the hours and hours I have spent practicing with them. Their effective use is another part of the 'art' of sailing. Yes, I know sailing and windvanes are both grounded in science, but getting the best from them is an art. I have yet to meet anyone who has bought a windvane as 'back up' to their electronic autopilot that has ever spent the time to become really masterful in their use. A lot of the ARC feedback on windvanes is flavoured by either people using them with little experience and having problems or never using them but saying something like "oh it was great having it as a back-up" to justify (to themselves) that they were worth the cost.

And it's the cost that is a huge factor here. Before blithely going down the (expensive) windvane route, be realistic about what's really involved in having it as a viable back-up. Just laying out the dosh and bolting it to the transom is not enough. The alternative is to spend an equivalent amount of time, money and effort and become a master of your B&G sytem with the tools, knowledge and spares to keep it working, come what may.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I was lucky, picked up a used Plastimo Navik wind vane at a reasonable price, had to modify the fixings slightly to fit my boat but it was great, absolutely magic once set up, I still regret selling it with the boat, it would have fitted my present one perfectly.

dunedin

Visit site
. The preference for Raymarine was around reliability. The last Hugo Boss had 2 Raymarine drive units, the redundant one never having been used apparently. Lots to think about and thanks for all the useful suggestions ;-)

I am not an expert (others on here are), but it has been suggested that both the Raymarine and B&G drive units (ie the rams) are third party rebranded - and may even be the same manufacturer. But open to be corrected.

Honeymonster

Visit site

My boat at the time was a Sun Fast 3600. I had a B&G H5000 system and pilot computer running a Raymarine linear Type 2 ram. I have recent experience of the B&G, Raymarine and NKE pilot systems. Both NKE and B&G are superior in performance to Raymarine, but the Raymarine ram has least friction in standby mode and works perfectly well being driven by the B&G brains. I have stuck with B&G to this current day. For power generation in the 2015 AZAB I used a Watt and Sea Hydro Generator. It worked perfectly and gave me up to 11 amps, enough to guve me everything I was consuming and to put charge back into the batteries. I have since moved to an Efoy Fuel Cell, so I no longer have to drag a propeller through the ocean - an impressive but expensive bit of kit.

matt1

Visit site
Thanks. My current set up is a NAC3 controller to a Jefa drive. It's impressive control, but there again the boat is probably the most balanced boat I've ever sailed.

Interestingly I had thought about a fuel cell - they seem ideal other than the cost. I'm surprised they aren't more widespread

gertha

Visit site
Hi,
The fuel cell is a great option, getting the fuel is the challenge. For an AZAB it is not a problem as you can carry enough fuel for the round trip.
Chris Tibbs used an EFOY unit the year he won the event, I think he managed to borrow or hire the thing.

I used main engine to charge, as that is all I had, with a backup petrol Genny, whilst having a petrol generator probably fails on the regs, if the fuel is safe and not in the generator, not much can go wrong. If main engine fails and you have to use backup to get home you either lie or retire.

There was a couple of Australians who sailed round the world to do a couple of races, they had a bike frame and a car alternator, as a plan they could generate peddling the bike, in practice they never used it,.
They also packed Dr.Gordons to use at times of stress.

Simon

Birdseye

Visit site
The preference for Raymarine was around reliability. The last Hugo Boss had 2 Raymarine drive units, the redundant one never having been used apparently. Lots to think about and thanks for all the useful suggestions ;-)
I have no experience of the AZAB that I can offer though my boat did the race under a previous owner. I can comment on the pilot or at least the actuator. My boat has a below decks hydraulic system from Simrad / B&G and it has been totally reliable now for 24 years. Its the old Robertson system and its still made by Simrad.
The electronics that drive mine are now well out of date but the ram would take the latest B&G. Or Raymarine for that matter.
HLD350 Drive Unit is one example of the family.