Axiom messing about

billyfish

Visit site
I have a raymarine axiom 12. It changes some settings all on it's own. ie..meters to feet on depth. Done a factory reset and started over going through every page but I dont understand the page I have posted . I'm in the UK. Should the reset be done with or without the card in ?

Attachments

• 20220719_185745.jpg
    20220719_185745.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 25

billyfish

Visit site
I had a 9" which was fine with the internal gps but not so with the 12" supposed to be a upgrade bit dissapointing

salad

Visit site
Because Raymarine can’t build a decent plotter? This is not the only such thread on here of late. I reckon in a few years Garmin will have ‘moved’ on a good deal of Raymarine’s market share.

They can, but like most of the software market, they are skimping on testing. This is very common these days in all areas of the software market. It started with games. Once the development houses realised they could get the gamers to do the bug testing for them, it was goodnight for quality software "out of the box".

In the old days, everything had to be perfect, because it was delivered on floppy disk, with limited possibilities for later updates. In short it had to be robust. That continued into the CD and DVD era. Come the advent of the internet, Electronic Arts, one of the main culprits of this nonsense, decided they could ship stuff half finished and wait for the customers to complain. They saved a fortune in the process, yet people still bought their product as there was no real alternative.

Fast forward to now, you have thousands of developers releasing half finished (or worse) games on the Steam platform, the market leader. They describe them as "early access" and charge a bit less than what a game would cost at full RRP, but half of them will never be finished. The most famous example is a game called Star Citizen. I think it was supposed to launch to retail several years ago. It still hasn't. People spent thousands of pounds on virtual spaceships on top of the price of the game. It will never be finished, but nevertheless they have raked in hundreds of millions in funding and people keep throwing money at them! It's total insanity.

Garmin isn't much different in some ways, although credit where credit is due, when I've had an issue with my Garmin devices (quite a few of them), they have been great on the customer service side. Simply due to that, I know where my money is going when I need nav tech for my new boat or plane. Their software isn't great, but it at least sort of works and the updates are (currently) free.

This isn't the worst thing yachting could face. Just wait until micro-transactions creep into the yachting space....:mad: You'll be paying every time you hoist a sail. "it is fair as it reduces the outlay for our customers who may be infrequent cruisers". Or how about you pay extra for going over a certain RPM on your engine "to ensure that your carbon footprint is kept within parameters that we, as an engine manufacturer, are committed to".

Doesnt make any sense, but then neither does BMW charging £18/mo for heated seats you already own.