Avon Dinghy valve leak

White socks

Visit site
The early Avon material is still the best ever made imho the layers of rubber either side of the canvas are just that bit thicker and as a result more hardy and can take a decent repair too. Redstarts and sea riders are great.? you won’t see a pvc dinghy last that long

Wads

Visit site
Hi. I have bought a new Diaphragm cup, spring and washer for my Avon A4 valve. I’ve removed the valve and cleaned it. I’ve removed the old cup, doing and washer.

I can’t work out how to refit the cup, spring and washer to the valve. Any instructions greatly appreciated. I can fit the cup and spring but cannot work out how to fit the washer too.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

Wads

Visit site
Hi. I have bought a new Diaphragm cup, spring and washer for my Avon A4 valve. I’ve removed the valve and cleaned it. I’ve removed the old cup, doing and washer.

I can’t work out how to refit the cup, spring and washer to the valve. Any instructions greatly appreciated. I can fit the cup and spring but cannot work out how to fit the washer too.

Many thanks.
@white-socks I wonder do you recall how to do this? Thanks.

Last edited:

Wads

Visit site
The early Avon material is still the best ever made imho the layers of rubber either side of the canvas are just that bit thicker and as a result more hardy and can take a decent repair too. Redstarts and sea riders are great.? you won’t see a pvc dinghy last that long

Many thanks.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Just looked at the Leafield site. The washer is for holding the plug/deflator bit to the dinghy. You can see it as a white ring in the first image. I'm pretty sure there is no washer on the diaphragm cup, just the spring.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
Actually I will check mine when I get back to it on Tuesday. Maybe I just slipped it on after refitting the valve and don't remember. The fiddly bit was getting the valve inside the dinghy tube.....thread was involved.

Wads

Visit site
Actually I will check mine when I get back to it on Tuesday. Maybe I just slipped it on after refitting the valve and don't remember. The fiddly bit was getting the valve inside the dinghy tube.....thread was involved.
Thanks @FairweatherDave. I have actually removed the valve from the boat so in theory it should be easier as I can access the value from all sides. But I cannot work out how to get the washer over the nodule of the diaphragm cup's stem. I am threading the cup's stem through the metal casing, then fitting the spring over the stem nodule and then trying to fit the washer over the nodule. But just cannot do it.

Wads

Visit site
can recommend rib store, as a customer...very prompt in dispatch and the instructions were first rate.
thanks @david_bagshaw. I can see instructions for replacing a complete valve but not explicit instructions for how to replace the cup diaphragm of a valve. Others mention in part about how to replace the cup in-situ but nothing explicit. I've asked rib store. Will post any reply I get.