Average daily mileage?

rusty_nail

Visit site
I couldn't find this in the archives, but I am sure it's there somewhere, so please forgive me going over old tracks.

I am wondering, just out of interest, really, how far you typically sail in a day's cruising. I understand that there are many variables and it might be difficult to quote an average, but does anyone have any comments?

Especially interested to hear from those of you exploring Greek islands, as I hope to head up there in the summer.

Many thanks
Russell

snowleopard

Visit site
how long is a pece of string?

comparing notes with a skipper met along the way, he, in a heavy 30-footer worked on an average of 4.5 knots while i, with a 40ft cat work on 7.5, more if it's a downwind passage.
another major factor is motoring, do you crank up when the speed drops or sit and enjoy the view?
the one certainty is that we all over-estimate average speed before we set out, then get disillusioned.

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
A conservative average on the long-ish run is sqrt(lwl) in feet, it works ok for me, replicates a mixture of liberal motoring, windward course made good, adverse currents, broad reach exilarating speeds etc etc. That is speed computed dividing *distance* from start to end into hours, not taking into account tacking.

If you sail say from athens to crete island in july you may probably average a 20/30% higher speed depending on boat, on your way back to athens average speed made good could very well be 20/30% lower...

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Roberto on 08/01/2003 11:26 (server time).</FONT></P>

gunnarsilins

www.eilean.se
I normally...

...reckon that a long term and conservative average on my 42' ketch (not the fastest sailer) is 5 knots when cruising in Scandinavian waters.
We normally use the engine when the speed drops well below 4 knots, at least for longer periods. The extra distance sailed when going windward is not taken into account.

peterk

Visit site
Re: how long is a pece of string?

hi ,

the sqare root of the waterline in feet is not a bad one!
though for my boat a bit optimistic

I averaged just under 4 knots around the pumpkin(engineless)

That includes
one 3200 miles(Galapagos to Maturei Vavau) run at a 5 knots average,

and the absolute RECORD:
in the Banda Sea (Indonesia)
50 miles in 72 hours - backwards!

...peter, www.juprowa.com/kittel

I don't think you'll be doing many 24 hour runs in Greece...

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
For me your guideline is low but not based like yours on distance between waypoints. Two years ago at the end of my summer cruise from Holland to Jersey and back, somewhere about 800 miles, I calculated my average sailed over the water which came out at exactly 6 knots. My sqrt lwl would be exactly 3. That was a particularly poor year and we spent much of the cruise beating, only used the spinnaker twice in a month. Our point-to-point average would clearly have been a lot lower. Other than a couple of overnights we mostly sailed with the tide under us for 6 - 8 hour trips, giving us a tidal bonus. Boat is Sadler 34 and we tend to sail a lot, motoring as little as possible.

Roberto

I can imagine 6 knots on a Sadler 34 but not a 3x3=9 feet lwl...

If it is 9m lwl then square root is around 5.5kt, not too far

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Roberto on 08/01/2003 15:51 (server time).</FONT></P>

Roberto

Anyway, if theoretical max speed is 1.25 sqrt(lwl feet) one can imagine

wonderful sailing at vmg=1.2 sqtrlwl 20/40% of time
beating at vmg 0.6/0.7 sqrtlwl 40/50% of time
motoring at 1-1.05 sqrtlwl 20% of time
with judicial use of med currents(!) the result is not far from sqrtlwl. We used this to plan longish passages with a 9m loa and a 13m loa and were never too far. With the bigger one we went from halfway the adriatic to istambul non stop in 10days, to malta, alexandria egypt, sicily, crete always non stop with the same average speed. Thunderstorms, flat calms, meltemi up and down, typical med!

davidbains

Visit site
You are going to find it very hard work sailing north/northwest up the Aegean in
the summer. Measure the distance to the next island and double it at least
for tacking. Even on a 35/40ft yacht you will do well to exceed an average
or 5kts through the water, not to be confused with velocity made good to windward.
In practice you will need very good weather to go beyond the next island most days
unless you're a masochist, and we all must have this in moderation to keep sailing!

MedMan

teall.name
When asked about averages I am reminded of the statistician lying on a bed with one arm in the oven and the other in the freezer. "On average" he insisted, "I'm comfortable!" Not-with-standing the warning in that story the question is a very important one to ask.

We left Brighton in 1998 and have been cruising the Med ever since. Passage Reports and Port Reports from all five years can be found on our website - see link below. The average distance travelled per week over the whole of each season (distance logged divided by the number of days aboard multiplied by 7) has been a remarkably constant 70 to 75 miles.

Having been used to far higher averages on our summer cruises before retiring, had anyone told me before we left that our average would be so low I would have just laughed. However, I soon learnt. This is cruising. Exploring by boat. Travelling to new places and then enjoying them. Staying six days in that superb deserted anchorage. Going back 50 miles to meet up with old friends. Tying up for a few days to hire a car and explore inland. And yes, from time to time, battening down the hatches whilst storm bound for a week.

More detailed examination of our logs shows two distinct phases to most year's cruising - reaching the new area, and exploring it when we get there. Our average during the former periods is often higher (120 miles/week) and that during the latter often lower.

At the end of the day, it is up to you. Some like exploring, some like forever moving on. Whatever makes your toes curl - you make the choice. My only advice is to throw away all preconceptions and take it a day at a time. If you feel like staying on - stay on. If you've had enough, move on.

Happy cruising!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/yachtretreat/>http://www.geocities.com/yachtretreat/</A>

AndrewB

Visit site
Long distance trade wind sailing, we plan on an average of 100nm per day.

Shorter runs, eg. 2-3 days, 130nm per day as we'll turn on the engine if it gets too slow.

Day sailing, maximum of 60nm for passage-making. If just pottering around islands, 30nm per day is plenty enough.

My yacht is slow though, and I don't mind drifting awhile.

warrior40

Visit site
In my experience, about 150 miles a day is average for most boats 32-45 foot in length, almost irrespective of design, but dependent on conditions. You need a spinnaker in light airs to keep the miles ticking by though.

HaraldS

www.taniwani.eu
There are many answers to this, but I'd be happy to share experience and what I currently use for planning purposes.

Years ago we did an Atlantic round trip, Carribean and back in a conservative 36 footer and passage etmals averaged 120 nautical miles.

Today, I have a 49 footer which also goes to windward extremely well and got a consistent average of 170 nautical miles on about 2500 passage miles.

For day hopping I use: 25 for a very lazy day, 50 for a longer day and about 90 as the limit of a daylight sail.

When island or shore hopping from place to place and staying in nice places for another day, the average seems to come out at about 30. Same is true if you expect to be weather locked once and so often. This kind of pace is enjoyable for almost any mix of crew.

www.taniwani.de

warrior40

Visit site
Re: a bit high for a 32 footer

Hi, Whilst crossing the Pacific we were in company with 4 32 foot yachts which all kept up that sort of mileage, admittedly, it was blowing a bit for most of the time. They were all fin keelers.

peterk

Visit site
Re: a bit high for a 32 footer

hi W,

Where did you cross the Pacific?

you said yourself that it was blowy,
which is NOT average for long distance.

Depending on the year there are fast, average and s-l-o-w crossings.

I averaged close to 5 knots for 72 hours running
on 'Spatz'
my totally overloaded 22-footer(S&S 1/4 tonner)
in the
Eastern North Pac.

are you still cruising your 25-footer?

...peter, www.juprowa.com/kittel

Other threads that may be of interest