Attacked by an Orca near A Coruna

Wansworth

Visit site
On the news to day another yacht towed in after being attacked by orcas off Galician coast,Sunday. 20septemberWas a catamaran but did not suffer much damage

Last edited:

cherod

Visit site
seen it ? well i have , and yes undoubtedly some anti foul has been scratched ,,, dont see any of the reffered to bow damage , the rudder has been damaged still i cant see any gouge / teeth marks on it , whither by attack or by play certainly only those with the ability to read an orcas mind can distinguish . , any more ??

FlyingGoose

Visit site
you didn't watch it did you!
Yes I did , but it is one person's experience, (as I have mentioned before we all see a different scene before our eyes when confronted by an event that can be perceived as life threatening)
seems that a certain company is the one getting impressive publicity out of this , no other interviews in the uk press or abroad, from the other boats , the spanish navy etc, but a constant stream from a private company using their name rather than just the skipper
Good for them , that is what selling your business is about, but one wonders how big this story has grown,
A bit like the fish that gets bigger every year
IMho ofc . And should only be taken as my opinion

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Last year I had 15 bottlenose dolphins jumping at my bow doing acrobatics, and jumping up at our port and starboard sides coming dam close and sending green water over my 2 dogs going nuts at them , I should have reported an attack as they were defiantly trying to soak my dogs , Rightly so they were making a right woofing exabition of themselves

Kelpie

Visit site
Even if you haven't seen enough damage in photos or videos to convince you that it has happened, surely the fact that several yachts have ended up being towed back to port with disabled steering should tell you something??

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Even if you haven't seen enough damage in photos or videos to convince you that it has happened, surely the fact that several yachts have ended up being towed back to port with disabled steering should tell you something??
It tells us that rudders and 7 tonnes of orca do not mix , the orca although extremely intelligent are not structural engineers and cannot predicted the outcome of them bumping a rudder
What is the purpose of them bumping the boat , they are not trying to get to the humans,

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Let's us not forget the orcas around the spanish coast are now endangered as their numbers are in free fall.
Only man with its overfishing and pollution and potentially injuring these animals are responsible.
Cut the orca some slack because a rudder gets damaged and paint removed from the bottom

RichardBruno

Visit site

Another attack at begins at 8:36 in the video. It is in German and they are crossing the Bay of Biscay. I tried auto translate option in Youtube and it was ridiculous as usual. But seemed to say that something about the rudder and wheel.

sarabande

Visit site
Let's us not forget the orcas around the spanish coast are now endangered as their numbers are in free fall.
Please provide citations, in proper scientific style, for that statement. And given the orcas travel long distances, please explain why only the Spanish coast appears to thus affected. I take it that you have formal qualifications at the proper level for making these claims ?

dom

Visit site
Indeed, FG should be required to follow standard Harvard Referencing

Like all the other posts on this thread! :unsure:

Fact is, he’s advancing some very compelling arguments. I would certainly be happy to fix the occasional rudder as a price to share the ocean with these wonderful animals.

Last edited:

cherod

Visit site

Another attack at begins at 8:36 in the video. It is in German and they are crossing the Bay of Biscay. I tried auto translate option in Youtube and it was ridiculous as usual. But seemed to say that something about the rudder and wheel.
seen it , still no visual evidence ,,, note, the girl ( fraueline ) was so scared she was sat on the guard rail , one bumb and she would be over !! ( into the mouth of the giant man eating orca :eek: )

FlyingGoose

Visit site
To Mr Sarabande, your answer dear sir

Orca pods are transient ,offshore and local pods in the term of local pods you realise the spanish .potugesr coast is rather large and spatial , also quoted in all the papers who ran with this story by the experts on the ground regarding the declining numbers , if one wants to believe the newspapers and skippers accounts printed in the press why are the experts who are quoted not believed.
Also I have no need to satate your desire to put me on the spot I am confident in my ability and knowledge of the orca to stand by my research if you feel the need to find thos information please do so

FlyingGoose

Visit site

sarabande

Visit site
You have not answered the questions. Why, according to you, are the Spanish pods' numbers in freefall ? You quote "all the papers who ran with this story " and that simply is not good enough. No citations, no verifiable references, = no belief.

If you are confident enough to stand by your research, then give details of your paper(s) or other published works. This is not putting you on the spot, it is asking you for facts, not what otherwise appears to be an emotional, anthropomorphic, and baseless hypothesis.