Arrogant Racers at Cowes Week

Poignard

Visit site
The problem with the Solent and Chichester Harbour is that there are sometimes so many of the buggers with several races going on at once. You think you'll do the gentlemanly thing and keep clear of one lot only to find yourself foul of another race.

Re Twister Ken's idea of some sort of cross-fertilisation between cruisers and racers. A nice idea but I'm a bit too old to sit in (on?) a Laser and a wet suit would do nothing to flatter my middle-aged figure. Anyway those who are actually racing seem to shout at each other more than they do at hapless cruisers who have the misfortune to be in their way.

r_h

www.rupertholmes.co.uk
I've always thought the perfect boat is a silent boat, with just a look or nod from the skipper for the crew to know what's required and act; mind, I haven't achieved this Nirvana often !

We did this as a training exercise on one of the Farr 45s I race - sailed an entire (practice) race course without any of the 13 of us onboard saying a single word. Of course there was still lots of (non-verbal) communication - but it was very quiet and relaxed, with everyone tuned in to the cues they needed to carry out their job in each manoeuvre.

Resolution

Visit site
I took a bunch of non-sailing guests out last week, officially to participate by spectating at the famous Cowes Week. Our course was from Hamble, down past Hillhead and over to Osborne Bay for lunch. Back again after tea.

Frustratingly for myself, all the race fleets chose to zoom off in diferent directions but all away from us. The nearest we got to a race fleet was about 100 meters. So no shouting, last minute tacking or other excitements. Just a boring straight line sail.

Seajet

Visit site
A commercial enterprise

The earlier comment about cruising people knowing racing ( and vice versa ) would seem to apply, and maybe I might add did you take in a briefing or find out to know the conditions & courses ?

I'd think 100m much close enough for a spectator boat, 'official' or otherwise.

Last edited:

snowleopard

Visit site
Sometimes cruising boats can be too helpful.

I saw a keelboat race about to start downwind and down tide. A large sailing boat was also heading down river unaware of what was going on. He crossed the line just before the gun then realised he was in the way so he turned back just as the whole fleet bore down on him. It was complete mayhem.

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Sometimes cruising boats can be too helpful.

I saw a keelboat race about to start downwind and down tide. A large sailing boat was also heading down river unaware of what was going on. He crossed the line just before the gun then realised he was in the way so he turned back just as the whole fleet bore down on him. It was complete mayhem.

Now thats interesting, dont you think the RO would have seen the cruiser? Why the hell didnt he hold back until the guy was out the way. Sounds like he was being a bit mischievous.

fireball

Visit site
Now thats interesting, dont you think the RO would have seen the cruiser? Why the hell didnt he hold back until the guy was out the way. Sounds like he was being a bit mischievous.

Oh - you'll understand ....

Once the warning signal has been made that's pretty much it - unless you postpone the race ... and nobody likes it when that happens ...

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
.......there's always the few (like the yacht who sailed right through a start line with less than 10 seconds to go a couple of years ago).

Hmm that could have been me. I seem to remember sailing upwind on port on a passage race though the Solent and meeting a long line of keelboats reaching on starboard. There were no gaps big enough to pass through and none of them was prepared to duck under my stern so I had to tack onto starboard. Then they all started hardening up around me and I realised they were making for their start line. All their shouts of "We're racing" were met with "So are we". I think we were about fourth across the line and 10th round the windward mark! :eek:

Babylon

Visit site
The abuse is nothing to do with racing and everything to do with the sort of society that the UK has become - surly , ill mannered and aggressive. The OP will find exactly the same sort of approach on the roads, in the community swimming pool, on the streets etc. If that upsets him, then the only answer is to emigrate since ill mannered parents raise ill mannered kids and it passes down from generation to generation.

Stand by for my imminent post in the Lounge... I was physically assaulted - out of the pool - by an agressive man in front of the lifeguards in the local swimming pool :(

Sans Bateau

Visit site
Oh - you'll understand ....

Once the warning signal has been made that's pretty much it - unless you postpone the race ... and nobody likes it when that happens ...

I dont think I'm going to like this, I thought getting wet was going to be bad enough!:eek:

snowleopard

Visit site
Sometimes those who shout loudest don't actually know the rules. The commodore of a club on the Thames I raced with was crewed by his wife who was inclined to shout to the extent that he wore ear defenders while sailing. On one occasion they were running on Starboard while we were close-hauled on starboard on the next leg. She shouted 'starboard' and I replied 'so are we but you're windward boat'. She went a bit quiet after that.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Racing was banned on public roads in 1928. Maybe its time...

I think it is. Cars, motorbikes, horse racing all do it - the list goes on .

It's not so much the speed as the mindset.

When I first sailed a boat, 90% was racing and 10% cruising.

Now it's the other way with hugely less water space.

Things have to change for the good of all.

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
I readily admit that I should be more aware of the colregs, but on Sunday I was enjoying a cracking beam reach down Southampton water about 3:30 pm just south of Netley Abbey and I saw a fleet of racing dinghys bearing down on me. At first I thought they'd go either in front or behind me, then they tacked and a minute later I was surrounded. I had by this time started the donk and steered around/through them as they came at me from my port side. I had at a guess, 15 gusting 20 kts on a perfect beam reach. I don't think I held them up and there were no close or hairy moments, but should I have turned to wind earlier and motored away sooner? I confess to not knowing and hang my head in shame.

arfa

Visit site
Much to be gained by all trying cruising and racing and working out the chancers from those who really know what's what.
I am more of a cruiser but knowing racing rules enables you to ask the transgressor "whether they would like you to protest sail number GBRXXXX to the race officer" tends to make the problem go away in most cases.

fireball

Visit site
I readily admit that I should be more aware of the colregs, but on Sunday I was enjoying a cracking beam reach down Southampton water about 3:30 pm just south of Netley Abbey and I saw a fleet of racing dinghys bearing down on me. At first I thought they'd go either in front or behind me, then they tacked and a minute later I was surrounded. I had by this time started the donk and steered around/through them as they came at me from my port side. I had at a guess, 15 gusting 20 kts on a perfect beam reach. I don't think I held them up and there were no close or hairy moments, but should I have turned to wind earlier and motored away sooner? I confess to not knowing and hang my head in shame.

Hmm - heading down Southampton water - I think that means you were on Starboard tack (wind was SW on sunday - cracking day for a brisk sail!)

Dinghies 'bearing down on you' - what -
From further west - to windward? Then they should be keeping clear ..
From further East - to Leeward? - then you're give way vessel ..
From further south - heading towards you - then they're the giveway vessels ..

Then you go on to say they tacked and surrounded you - so a bit tricky to know what was going on - but basically - if you were on starboard tack, without your engine going then there is only those who are on the same tack as you but pointing higher who may be stand-on.

TBH - if you'd just carried on you'dve probably been fine - if they're blasting about racing then they tend to know what they're up to and won't get themselves tangled up with a "slow boat" like yours ...
If you're stand on then hold your course - it's much easier for them to predict where you're going to be - that's what I do (predict where the obstacles are going to be!)

Plevier

Visit site
Much to be gained by all trying cruising and racing and working out the chancers from those who really know what's what.
I am more of a cruiser but knowing racing rules enables you to ask the transgressor "whether they would like you to protest sail number GBRXXXX to the race officer" tends to make the problem go away in most cases.

Prompts the thought, can you fly a protest flag with an ensign? ;)