Around the world sailing

slavkod

Visit site
Dear all,

I am 49 and my wife 48. We have sold our business and been planning to go sailing for as long as we would like it. Then doubts started to build up and I went to another business. It is one month since I started. As original date of departure (01 of May 2004) is approaching I am getting more and unhappy with my decision. Our boat is ready to go with all equipment needed for long term cruising. It is 40 foot central cockpit sailing boat. My wife is very supportive that we should go. We have no obligations whatsoever, some money aside, property, so we can go almost immediately.
My major concerns are directed to what I will do when and if we come back.Will we like it? If not what then? Maybe it looks strange but I would like to hear anyone with same thoughts and doubts. I know that it is my decision but ideas from other people could help.

Slavko

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
you don't have to commit yourself right away. how about a shorter trip first? the classic is an atlantic circuit taking about a year. if you like it you can then set out for the big one or indeed you could decide once you reach the caribbean that you'd rather go on than come back.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: Good advice

I agree. Going long-distance sailing isn't like setting off to a distant solar system : hop on a plane and you can be home within 24 hours from most places on the planet. Just take a year out.

Tis a good idea to leave on very good terms with current employer, the easiest point at which to rejoin the rat race if you really must. I think that even if you've decided to take five years, tellem it's just for one year, a sabbatical. A company of any size will be able to accomodate such comings and goings, and welcome you back in one (or two or three) years if you're useful in what you do already. I speak as an employer, bout 35 peeps, and at the moment i think we have three people who we've employed for the second time after a break of a year or more going to other companies, setting up businesses but niot fancying it much after a while, and so on.

Interestingly, our exp is that women who start a family show the very least inclination to return to work, despite the legislation. Praps in this instance (again) wife knows best - starting a family is a far greater commitment than going long-distance sailing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

slavkod

Visit site

I am currently a Partner in PEF (private equity fund) focused in area of former Yugoslavia. In beginning I thought that this is interesting position for me.
Reagrading cruising plans we have beem thinking that first year we would spend in MED and for the winter we would go back home. Next year we would do the Atlantic crossing and later on maybe more.

Thank you for your reply

Slavko

<hr width=100% size=1>

masterofnone

Visit site
in a similar situation, concerned about future health( no private medical ins) and maintaining sufficient ni contributions(serps) private pension kna.....d equitable life to thank.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Metabarca

Visit site

You're a little further down the road I wish to follow in the not so distant future (except that I'll have to work as I go). I haven't any advice I can give you alas, so all I can say is 'srecno'! From reading these forums, I have to say I haven't come across many who have regretted the move - and, pertinently, many seem to have gone for it aware that life on board is not like a Hollywood film.
Where do you keep your boat out of curiosity? I'm near Monfalcone at the moment, at Nautec.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html>http://www.comoy.com/saillinks.html</A>

davidbains

Visit site
Slavko, if you've already sold your business you might as well take a sabbatical of 6months to a year. Then reassess. If the boats ready to go and the wife's willing, I think you'll regret not going.
It's natural to experience doubts and get cold feet, but if preparations are complete you should go. Imagine ten or fifteen years ahead, one year out is nothing. Everybody should take sabbaticals. I have taken several. Careers are overvalued.

<hr width=100% size=1>

yachttequilla

Visit site
Hi

I think you might regret not doing it. We have 2 children aged 7&9 and came to end of big 5 year project with our business. We've wound down and spent last summer and this to come exploring the Med.

Whether you go for the Med, the Atlantic or the world, go if you can. As some other say start off more modestly or for 6-12m if that helps but live the dream.

On a sadder note my father recently passed away aged 66. He'd been a top UK masters weightlifter up to age 60, very fit but still had heart attack. Even though very ill he was still encouraging me to go away this summer and all his friends to go on the big holidays they've been putting off for years. If we're not careful we leave our personal aims and dreams too low down life's priorities of paying the mortgage and planning a safe career.

Happy cruising.

Steve

<hr width=100% size=1>

Adrian

www.kydproducts.co.uk
Steve, How do you manage with the Kids schooling while away, I'm desperate to "go" but my Kids are the same age as yours and their schooling is the main stumbling block.

<hr width=100% size=1>Adrian
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.kydproducts.co.uk>http://www.kydproducts.co.uk</A>

roly_voya

Visit site
Why set of round the world or even accross the atlantic, its along way and very daunting. Just sail round the next headland, then if you want to the next, then maby accross a bigger 'gap'. You might find you get round the world or just round the isle of wight but does it matter! I live aboard in the UK and go to work but have made the job flexible by working with agencies so I can take time out when and where I want, I can tell you what I am thinking of for July but not for next year.

Whatever you do enjoy it but remember security is an illusion created to keep us working and pensions... remember a guy called Rupert Merdoc.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Danthegorrila

in med on way to ........ home used to be in Cumbr
Visit site
Hi,

We are a year or two younger and a year ahead. Now in the Med after nearly a year of live aboard.

Everyone has doubts before setting off, or everyone on a boat would be doing it!
We are loving most of the life, it has up and downs like everything else but over all it seems very good.

Like other advice says you can get back to the UK easy enough and you do not have to go far to start with. It all adventure and thats what its about.

The other thing to think of is how will you feel in 10-20-30 years, will you be thinking "what would it have been like if ......" Really theres nothing to loose that you can´´t easily get back and everything to gain.

Live for the day.

<hr width=100% size=1>PB

philmarks

www.blue-hound.com
Definitley!

I never want to say "What if ...?"

I'm off for 6 mths now and maybe the rest of my life...

Just do it Slavkod, you can always shape another future if it doesn't work out.

<hr width=100% size=1>Rgds
Phil

slavkod

Visit site

Hi,

I am back from business trip. My boat is in Marina Izola, Slovenia.

Thank you for e-mail,

Slavko

<hr width=100% size=1>

slavkod

Visit site
Thank you Phil,

I am back from business trip where half of the time I have been asking myself what I am doing there.

Slavko

<hr width=100% size=1>

slavkod

Visit site
to all who replied,

thank you for your input. It was a great contributor to my thougs and maybe decision as well.

Wish you all the best,

Slavko

<hr width=100% size=1>

slavkod

Visit site
just update to all of you.
I am discusing with my partners to terminate my participation in the project. Looks that I will sail to MED in the middle of April.
I feel great.

Slavko

<hr width=100% size=1>