Around the UK by centaur

38mess

Visit site
Is this something I can do in a boat such as this? I only plan mainland Britain cutting out Scotland by using the canal, but if weather and time permit I will include Scillies. Clockwise around May next year.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Yes, definitely. Perfect boat for the trip. If you don't have the time or inclination to go round the top you can go up the Outer Hebrides and back along the mainland to Oban before going through the canal. That way you don't miss out on the best bits.

Boat condition is more important than the type of boat. Be well maintained. Getting stuff delivered or getting stuff done up the west coast, while possible, can be slow.

Mid May to mid June is the best time on the west coast of Scotland so aim to be there then if you can. August is usually miserable and windy, this year exceptionally so.

Last edited:

38mess

Visit site
Yes, definitely. If you don't have the time or inclination to go round the top you can go up the Outer Hebrides and back along the mainland to Oban before going through the canal. That way you don't miss out on the best bits.
Thanks I would love to include more of the Scottish islands, initial planning stage at the moment. Hopefully I can finally retire this winter. I'm allowed 3 months.
Boats a wreck but we a doing it up

Concerto

Visit site
Certainly possible in a Centaur. There are several sections that can be long like from the Humber heading south. A Centaur can easily shelter in the Wash before heading to Wells-next-the-Sea, which a larger boat would find difficult. In 2022 I went round anti-clockwise via the top of Shetland in my Fulmar and certainly met a number of other small boat going via the Caledonian Canal including an old ¼ tonner. If you have not watched my videos of my trip then go to my about me page for the links.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Thanks I would love to include more of the Scottish islands, initial planning stage at the moment.

Going round the UK is overrated. The north coast is desolate, the Orkneys and Shetlands a long way and very tidal, the east coast long and dull, the south coast overpriced and overrun. The west coast is the best bit. An alternative is just to do the west coast and back the same way, but it depends where you are starting from. There's sufficient variety to do both directions and not visit anywhere twice. A fun challenge is to join the K's - Scotland's west coast first harbour (Kirkcudbright) to last harbour (Kinlochbervie).

38mess

Visit site
Certainly possible in a Centaur. There are several sections that can be long like from the Humber heading south. A Centaur can easily shelter in the Wash before heading to Wells-next-the-Sea, which a larger boat would find difficult. In 2022 I went round anti-clockwise via the top of Shetland in my Fulmar and certainly met a number of other small boat going via the Caledonian Canal including an old ¼ tonner. If you have not watched my videos of my trip then go to my about me page for the links.
Thanks I'll look it up, we are planning on clockwise as it seems like the best use of the tides, on the west coast anyway, but I would take any advice.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Thanks I'll look it up, we are planning on clockwise as it seems like the best use of the tides, on the west coast anyway, but I would take any advice.

The weather is a better determinant of which way to go. The west coast often has better weather spring/early summer with northerly or easterly winds bring cool dry sunny days while the east coast can suffer strong onshore winds at this time and poor weather. Later in the summer in August the west coast can be a miserable place to be (like now) as the Atlantic hurricane season has started and we get the tail ends of them with endless lows coming over giving wet windy south-westerly winds. The east coast is now a lee shore, but the south coast can also be difficult going westwards at this time of year.

Concerto

Visit site
Besides my videos and posts written daily, you could also look at another friend of mine with a Fulmar who went via the Caledonian Canal in a clockwise direction this year. https://lhyc.org.uk/gb24/

If you have any questions either ask away or PM me. This post of mine summarises my trip including my costings, which might be very helpful in the planning stage.

Round Britain summary of the trip including costings

38mess

Visit site
Besides my videos and posts written daily, you could also look at another friend of mine with a Fulmar who went via the Caledonian Canal in a clockwise direction this year. LHYC Great Britain Circumnavigation 2024 – Lower Halstow Yacht Club

If you have any questions either ask away or PM me. This post of mine summarises my trip including my costings, which might be very helpful in the planning stage.

Round Britain summary of the trip including costings
Thanks, we are at the very initial stages of planning, but very kind of you to offer help

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I don't know where you are starting from, but I went anticlockwise and got the boring bits out of the way first - North Foreland (Kent) to Holy Island.

dunedin

Visit site
Milford Haven
From there a lot to be said for the Angus McDoon argument - stick to the West Coast, head up to Scotland as early as possible (ideally late April or early May) and make the most of the West Coast of Scotland - if the weather suits nip up to Orkney and back by Inverness and the Caledonian Canal then Ireland down to the Isles of Scilly late season.
Avoid the boring bits from Inverness to Falmouth (on the east side).

Centaur I am sure perfectly capable - but if do stick with the round the coast idea, will need to ensure it has a very good and reliable engine, as will get a lot of use (especially on the Inverness to Falmouth bit)

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
As @dunedin said go clockwise and consider Orkney then back down the Caledonian Canal.

As I am Plymouth based I like the bit from Falmouth to Portland, and from Inverness to Holy Island. Saying that the fish and chips in Eyemouth were horrendous.

38mess

Visit site
From there a lot to be said for the Angus McDoon argument - stick to the West Coast, head up to Scotland as early as possible (ideally late April or early May) and make the most of the West Coast of Scotland - if the weather suits nip up to Orkney and back by Inverness and the Caledonian Canal then Ireland down to the Isles of Scilly late season.
Avoid the boring bits from Inverness to Falmouth (on the east side).

Centaur I am sure perfectly capable - but if do stick with the round the coast idea, will need to ensure it has a very good and reliable engine, as will get a lot of use (especially on the Inverness to Falmouth bit)
That sounds like a plan.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Milford Haven
It may be worthwhile to maximize the time on the good bits which are a long way from home (all of the west coast of Scotland including the Clyde) and leave the bits which are quite close to home for another trip. You could visit the Scillies easily another year and spend a good while there rather than rushing through on the way going to or back from somewhere else.

From Milford Haven you could get to and explore the Isle of Man and Galloway coast in two weeks, then on to the Clyde for another week, the Mull of Kintyre trip is scenic because you can take in Arran, Gigha, Islay and Jura, then a month up the Inner and Outer Hebrides, a month down the mainland west coast, and a couple of probably weather delayed weeks back to MH in late summer down the Irish coast.

The biggest advantage of this rather than going round the UK is you get to maximise time spent on the waters sailed by both royalty and God, and avoid the Solent completely. :)

Bristolfashion

Visit site
We're just finishing a round UK & ROI in a Sadler 29 (which is an exaggeration, 'cos it's only 28'6"😊).

We went anticlockwise which, for my tuppence, works extremely well. 4 season project for us, 'cos we went (nearly) everywhere.

In our opinion, there's interest everywhere. We certainly wouldn't have missed London, the Blackwater, Deben, Ore, Wells next the sea and then Whitby, Scarborough, Berwick and so on.

I still can't believe we made it to Shetland!

And missing out the Bristol channel is to miss a treat.

The South coast west of the Solent & the Scillies has been a delight.

At the end of the day, listen to all the advice, but decide on your challenge - and enjoy it.

38mess

Visit site
Will 38m need to watch that backwards if planning to turn right? 😁
Thanks 😁 I watched some of these videos a while ago. I remember thinking Why would anybody do this? The guy seemed so fed up....But we change opinions over the years I guess. We always used to charter in hot countries and last time in Antigua the heat was too much for me.