Aries windvane adjustment help please!

noswellplease

Visit site
I know it's not strictly the place to look for help on this topic but could anyone who knows a bit about these PM me as I have an adjustment problem which I'm sure a forumite would be able to easily clarify for me thanks. Russ

NickCharman

Visit site
As a signed up member of the Aries anorak club (and a fan) - how can I help?....never rebuilt one (never had to), but if you're talking about adjustment in use, I may be able to assist.

noswellplease

Visit site
Thanks Nick, I installed windvance and all appears ok however the paddle is about 3 deg off centre i.e. 3 deg to port when boat stationary and paddle suspended freely. When the boat is moving this just seems to push the paddle up on the port side where it remains. Is there any way to bring the paddle into line with the centre line of the boat. I expect this is what I need to do but not entirely sure. I also emailed the Aries HQ in UK and was assured I would get a response from them but it never came, so I'm here as last resort. Any assistance much appreciated. Russ

Foxy

www.yachtfoxglove.com
There is a really good downloadable book on wind vane steering. I'll try to remember where to find it.
This isn't meant to sound rude, its a genuine question, but do you know the general principle of how they work? If not, feel free to PM me and I'll run through the basics.
Cheers!
Patrick

NickCharman

Visit site
Interesting one. I am assuming that the unit's movement is all free and without any "hard spots". The twist of the paddle is controlled by the air blade clamp unit. The natural resting place of that is determined by the position of the lead weight underneath it. Am I imagining it, or can this be adjusted by slackening off its retainers and sliding it a small amount one way or another? Is there such a facility? Otherwise the crown gear retainers (on the top of the vertical shaft) need inspecting to see if there is any possibility of adjusting their position radially. Another way to get it straight is to modify the weight's CofG slightly - but care with changing its actual weight, and its bound to be easier than that. Will look at my own when next at the boat. Any clues for you in the above?

noswellplease

Visit site
Hi Nick......The lead weight position may be the key. My boat will be lifted out shortly so I will have a better chance to examine things up close and give it a tug here and there. I'm sure there must be some easy way to adjust the thing. Let us know if you think of anything new. Thanks again Russell

ean_p

Visit site
If the blade and counterweight assembly are all good and there is no latent wear in the system then it sounds like you may be a 'tooth' out in the mesh between bevel gear and its pinion. the way i see it is that the blade and counterweight take up a 'position' thats stable. They are connected to the pinion by the 'conecting rod'. This coverts linear motion (up and down) to rotary motion via the bevel gear. for a given position of the blade & counterweight then there is a given position of mesh between the pinion and bevel gear. So turn the bevel gear back/forward one tooth and re-mesh it with the pinion and if as above there is no wear then the paddle will now rest in a different position , ie fore and aft.
if it were mine I'd check for wear, check for stiffness and then try the gears.
Download the buyers / rebuilders guide from the UK web site as it tells how to test for wear etc.

NickCharman

Visit site
PS - you might think that this "problem" is a good thing, as it keeps it out of the prop wash when motoring, when mine bangs around in the turbulence,, and I tie it off up to one side (like yours does automatically!!). It should not affect its operation with a wind blade in it...does it?

srm

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There is a really good downloadable book on wind vane steering. I'll try to remember where to find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you thinking of the Windpilot book? usefull for general principles, but is realy a sales pitch for Windpilot and can be downloaded from their website.

My Monitor gear has an adjustment screw (if I remember correctly) for aligning vane and paddle. I would hope that the Aries has something similar as I am in the process of buying a boat with an Aries.

Have fun

Ariadne

The Mrs kids and boat are in Grenada. Me? I'm in S
blog.mailasail.com
If your still stuck, try calling Helen Franklin directly, I believe her number is still on the UK Aries website? If not PM me and I'll see if I can find it. They weren't very good at e-mail!

I found her very helpfull, and got loads of support and info over the phone, although we ended up sending ours down to her in Falmouth where it had to be rebuilt, but again they were very helpfull. They also gave loads of bits when we collected it.