Are new boats too clean

Signed Out

Visit site
Mr Sheen marine?

This is YM Scuttle, surely in here they should smell of chandlery supplied polish and marine grade air-freshener, if not pot pourri and baking fresh focaccia/turbot.

For proper boats, go see PBO R2R. Or Jester.

Seajet

Visit site
If not fortunate and / or careful, a lot of boats smell of diesel.

I'd think a good boat should have a warm, 'lived in' aroma, while steering clear of 'essence de'l'armpit' !

If anyone could quantify and bottle the smell of a good boat, a fortune awaits...

Wandering Star

Visit site
I'm sure that for additional cost, any of the major boatbuilders will be abe pleased to supply you with a foul smelling, brand new boat. I think they keep bottles of pungent aerosols in several aromas including old engine oil, rotting wood, damp unaired upholstery and genuine seasick for just this purpose ,which they spray round the interior before delivery. Another option would be to stain and scratch the woodwork and pour old fatty substances over the galley area and cooker.

Cheers, Brian.

FullCircle

Visit site
I'm sure that for additional cost, any of the major boatbuilders will be abe pleased to supply you with a foul smelling, brand new boat. I think they keep bottles of pungent aerosols in several aromas including old engine oil, rotting wood, damp unaired upholstery and genuine seasick for just this purpose ,which they spray round the interior before delivery. Another option would be to stain and scratch the woodwork and pour old fatty substances over the galley area and cooker.

Cheers, Brian.

By Jove you are right Brian.
I used to agonise over how new and clean my boat was.
Oh, how I dreamed of the green verdigris on decks, and unidentifiable smelly lumps in the lockers.
Fortunately, 6 years on, my boat is a bit MAB, with autherntic lumps out of the woodwork.
Hurrah, but how I wish I could have spared myself the anguish, just by using the product you so describe.

I am not sure if I want to spread undiluted TK fat all over the gally though. Ewwwww.

capnsensible

Visit site
I just took a 3 year old boat to Canaries and back from Gib. 5 blokes.

We kept her clean, tidy and seamanlike.

What is the problem?

Men, we can do this!!!!!