Appropriate clothing for November sail around South East coast

MattS

Visit site
Hi friends,

I'm sailing from Portsmouth to the River Medway in early November, and need to kit up with some appropriate clothing.

I wondered if you had any recommendations on both appropriate (i.e. level of clothing required for the potential weather) and recommended (i.e. brands, models)?

I need jacket, salopettes, gloves, boots, and hat!

I've been looking at second hand Gill OS2 jackets and salopettes - does that seem like the right sort of level?

Gloves I've been recommended looking at Sealskinz, and boots I'm starting from scratch!

Last edited:

TernVI

Visit site
You need something no-nonsense waterproof.
Not the time to find your secondhand bargain is duff!
Breathable is worth it if the sailing is going to be at all physical.
Quality of hood/collar design shows at that time of year.
A warm hat that works with the hood?
I find a neck tube better than a towel, at least with the collar on my current jacket.

Then the warmth is about inner and middle layers.
Spending a bit on base layers is worthwhile.

Gloves are important. Warm gloves for helming, tougher gloves for crewing/deck work.

What boat?
Some boats, I'd take my drysuit.
How much pressure to minimise kit?

johnalison

Visit site
Money spent of good clothes is never wasted. With modern jackets I don't seem to need a scarf, but there's no harm in having one. A decent wollen beanie will help. I usually wear ski socks if cold is going to be a problem. A hot water bottle doesn't take much space and can be good for morale. I find a rubber one without cover just right with the boat's hot water, if you are motoring.

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Test your oilskins by putting them on and have someone spray you with a hose. Don't despair if you find they leak, you can buy waterproofing fluid in an outdoor shop to treat them in your washing machine. Try not to sit down on wet surfaces, as the pressure will allow the water to seep through, even though they are perfectly waterproof while standing up.
A good microfleece (or two) is advisable. "Micro-" is less bulky. Some people, like me, can't wear wooly hats, and find the Thinsulate type more comfortable. If you wear glasses, a baseball cap helps to keep some of the rain off, and can be worn under the beanie. As mentioned above, a base-layer is important during the cold months, particularly if sailing at night. Merino wool or polyester/elastane. Don't wear cotton, e.g t-shirts and jeans, as once they become wet, they stay wet, whereas, man-made fibre garments will dry much more easily. Wet wool still maintains its insulating properties. Seaboots; I'm Irish, I have to say Dubarrys.
If you find that cold affects your hands adversely, you can get reusable hand warmers in the outdoor shop ,although by November Lidl/Aldi may have had them on offer, simiilarly with the base layer.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
To keep warm consontrate on the base layers, then lots of layers. Waterproofs, anything will do.

I have two hand warmers from my climbing days, brilliant for keeping you warm on a cold night watch. These can be placed near the kidneys to add some core temp.

Make sure you keep your feet dry and warm. Good sea boots and I recommend some Corrymoor Socks | Angora Goat Mohair Socks | Goat Wool Socks socks, they have transformed my life.

lustyd

Visit site
SWMBO just got some Musto BR2 which is a similar price to the OS2 and identical quality. Aside from the lifetime warranty on Goretex I can't tell the difference to my MPX. Agree with the Merino wool above.
More important than clothing is to have a good crew/autopilot so you're not exposed all day. Even the best clothing will struggle with 10 hours in the open in November while essentially sitting still. Using autopilot/autotiller will allow you to sit out of the wind with a cuppa most of the time which will make a huge difference. With a little luck you'll have a following wind so that will make it warmer until you turn back to head west, but then you're almost home. It might mean less rope work though, so cooler from a work perspective.
Take something to read too - you'll be sailing some of the least exciting coastline on the planet at a time of year when there will be few other boats to look at.

RJJ

Visit site
I have sailed in November, shorts and T shirt, and been sweaty. The sea temp is still mild, I would guess comparable to June.

However you are rightly aiming for the more obvious and less Clement weather. You don't say if you intend to get a long life out of this gear or if it's a one-off.

Personally I would run a mile from the famous brands with their associated expense and advertising. I have and like XM oilies; I also like the look of Decathlon. As long as it has chest-high trousers, a good zip with storm flap, and a good hood that goes snugly around your neck and decent ankle/wrist cuffs you won't come to any harm.

In terms of being warm, the most important single thing is not to wear cotton. It is poor insulation when dry and nil when it gets wet. Choose from man-made thermals and fleeces (my preference), or more expensive (but less smelly) wool, merino, silk or cashmere. Have a choice of a few different layers, rather than one very thick one. I have three thicknesses of thermal top that can each be worn singly or all in combo.

For legwear, something like Ron Hills does very well.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
I like a nice thick fleece hoodie under my MPX. With a couple of layers under that.
ski gloves are great .
I went budget on my boots but the "maindeck" ocean boots i bought 2 years ago are holding up well, still waterproof and worn with thick socks keep my toes toasty.

lustyd

Visit site
I used XM on a course once and agree they are basically the same as the Gill and Musto mentioned above and a similar price. It's been a while so not certain of the details but look for things like draining pockets, fleece lined pockets, high collars with face coverings which close securely. Adjustability on the hood is very important in my experience too. I think all of these are about the same though :)

Aeolus

Visit site
I agree with the lots of layers recommendations. Start with base layers that wick moisture, add layers until you're warm enough. For the top layer, I wouldn't buy second hand - you don;t know how waterproof used jackets & trousers will be and there must be a reason why someone is selling them. Decathlon have some very reasonably priced sailing clothes - if I was buying now, I'd definitely consider them.

Stemar

Visit site
Layers, as mentioned above. It doesn't have to be "marine quality" (=overpriced), there's plenty of good stuff to be had in places like Go Outdoors. I really like Craghopper cargo-type trousers. They dry quickly and still give some insulation when wet. Trespass ones are good too. I don't rate Regatta trousers, but their fleeces are fine.

If it's a one-off, you don't need to spend a fortune on "proper" oilies. On my first decent trip, I had a fairly ordinary Hi-Viz jacket. OTOH, if the sailing bug has bitten, a good set is worth having, even though it will have your credit card walking with a limp for a while. About 10 years ago I was was going as sighted crew taking blind people sailing and was instructed by Management to buy new oilies. "They're blind" I said. "Don't care, you're not going in those horrible things." Being a coward, I went off to Deacons and looked around. I'd just about decided on the XM, as being OK and in my price bracket. Then I made the mistake of trying a Gill Atlantic set. I came out in a state of shock, having just spent more on a set of clothes than I'd ever spent in my life before, but I've never regretted them, and they're still going.

southcoaststeve

Visit site
I purchased a jacket and salopettes of the 500 series from Decathlon and the "race" boots, £270 all in and they have been superb. Layers underneath, I like base layer and micro fleece type mid layer (already owned cycling gear)
Toasty and dry so far, I did buy grey, which as stated above is trendy, but in hindsight, not that smart if I were to go overboard...

jac

Visit site
the other area to consider in gloves is to wear two sets. Personally i have gone for the gloves with a single fingertip and thumb missing then Mittens over them for things like steering, winching. Many modern screens need a finger on them to work ( as of course do fiddly things) so you can keep most pf your hand warmish when doing those things then put the mitten back on for the less intricate stuff