Anzai Pilot - basics before first use

JerryRhum

Me: Buckinghamshire Boat: Milton Keynes (GUC)
Visit site
I have just bought a British Anzani Pilot. I have never owned one of these, or anything like it, before and wondered what maintenance might need doing, before starting it up for the first time?

It came with the usual back story "worked great before I put it in my shed 4 years ago". The compression seems good and everything moves as it should. There is sometimes a bit of resistance, around the flywheel, when I rotate the propeller by hand.

Is this a case of: fill a wheelie bin with water, stick some fuel in and give it a go, or am I likely to do some damage with that approach?

I've read the Seagulls Basics thread, as they seem to be fairly similar.

anzani 2.jpg
anzani 1.jpg
anzani 3.jpg
anzani 4.jpg

Tranona

Visit site
Yes, much the same as a Seagull - similar Villiers carb that needs "tickling" to get fuel to flow, choke lever over and throttle open. However likely the fuel has turned to something resembling runny glue so clean lines and the filter which I suspect is in the bottom of the tank, clean and check gap on plug and use fresh fuel.

TBH though probably best to put it in the bin, close the lid and wait for bin collection day. They were pretty poor things in their day and now lack the charm of a Seagull, but interesting to see if it goes.

penfold

Visit site
Unlikely to damage anything but the contents of the carb bowl may have rebelled and you'll die of old age pulling on the start cord; modern fuel does like to go off. At a minimum I'd give it some fresh fuel, check there's a spark and more oil inside the gearbox than outside, then give it a go.