Anyone want to do a wind speed comparing exercise on the Crouch?

FullCircle

Visit site
Noting AliM's post which said that Vela Rose saw 33kts on the Crouch, with 49kt gusts (which I can sort of believe) on Saturday,we saw no more than 22kts.
As we were double reefed and with a 1/2 the genoa tucked away, I dont quite believe what I am seeing.
I think my windspeed is pretty good up to about 12-13kts, then it seems to get lazy, and underreading a lot compared to other boats.
I noticed this coming back from oostende when I was reading 13kt of wind while Morgana and Sabre were no more than 25 minutes in front of me with 20kts +.

I am not on the water next weekend (more Year of the House), but if anyone is around on the following weekend, would appreciate some liaison to try and establish a median calibration for my whizzy cups on the mast.

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com
Hi Jim

Just this minute been talking to NASA. I phoned them because I've only recorded a maximum of 14 kts all year and I know that ain't right.

They have suggested a trip up the masthead as there is probably dirt in the wind cups. Or the wind cups might need replacing. NASA man said if I'm going up the masthead anyway I might as well take a new set of cups up and fit them at the same time. Spare set of cups cost £14.00 but he will let me have them for £7.00. Don't know why, he must have been feeling generous.

AliM

Visit site
When beating down past Bridgemarsh island (~11.30) we saw 33kts, but boat speed was 5kts and the tide was with us, so the real wind was probably only mid/high 20's. I have no idea where the 49 kts came from, though - it was totally anomalous. When we saw you, we were logging low 20's at most, but we were running, so I suspect your indicator is recording lower than ours.

We are off on holiday for the next 3 weeks, but we can compare wind readings when we get back.

MoodySabre

Visit site
Max gust on the yachtharbour weather station was about 27knots. Don't know how accurate that is in relation to on the water.

We have friends at Bradwell who are always beset by worse winds than us. Last year we never met them on an east coast cruise because they were always stuck somewhere seeing 30+knots and staying put whilst we were sailing around well reefed and trying to avoid going upwind. I suppose that as long as you know how your displayed wind relates to boat set up then the actual figure is largely academic. Nice to have it right if you can.

tillergirl

Visit site
Some years ago I found water in my Raymarine wind transducer which stopped it working. When I had it looked at at Mansbrite they said that it had made the spinner stiff. I said, no, it had always been like that and they said it must have been defective from new. I guess its got bearings and if they are stiff it will be b**gered and under read.

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
That, and remembering that sailing in 30kts can be quite fun too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

Is that something I should remember /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Still dazed now!!!!

tillergirl

Visit site
We got caught out in the middle of the Channel, wind over tide gusting 30+. The only thing I can really remember is SWMBO pointing to the lee deck and saying "You can get this side of the boat, OUT OF THE WATER NOW!" Thing that worried me was I didn't really know how to then.

michael_w

Visit site
If you're heeling hard then the windy gear can slow down as the breeze comes from underneath, rather than at right angles.

Likewise if you're running the turbulence induced by the wind flow over the top of the mast can increase apparent readings. One of the reasons race boats use a vertical wand.

moondancer

www.wisereach.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]

I think my windspeed is pretty good up to about 12-13kts, then it seems to get lazy, and underreading a lot compared to other boats.
I noticed this coming back from oostende when I was reading 13kt of wind while Morgana and Sabre were no more than 25 minutes in front of me with 20kts +.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jim, easy answer to this. You were creaming along in a modern boat, proably on the plane, much faster than Morgana and Sabre and the apparent wind was a lot lower!

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

moondancer

www.wisereach.co.uk
Bernie,

I don't believe in wind speed indicators. Don't think they are very East Coast seapersonlike.

If my hat blows off going upwind it's time to put a reef in. If it blows off downwind it is time to put a second reef in and the smaller jib.

If it stays on upwind and downwind it is time for the suntan cream and the cold beer. Far more in keeping with East Coast ethos and takes much of the error out of it. The only adjustment on the scale is if I have my hat on the third, forth or fifth adjuster.

eastcoastbernie

www.ritzystitches.com

I see your point Brian.

I managed perfectly OK without one, but crew kept asking where my windy thing was. (Some people can't do windward unless they have a little arrow pointing at a boat graphic, apparently /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Then I fitted a windy thing and found the crew now enjoyed telling me how windy it was and wonder at our ability to stay alive in such extreme conditions.

Now the windy thing appears to be broken, the crew are robbed of all this excitement.

Never mind that I've got my little jib hanked on, all the reefs I can get into my main, plus a reef in my ensign and a reef in my long johns just for good measure. The windy thing just says 14 knots.

Now everyone else who's gone out to play that day has experienced 'huge waves', '40 knots over the deck', 'giant rollers', 'perfect storm', etc. And all we've had is 14 knots.

Where's the fun in that?

Sixpence

Visit site
Maybe you should come with me when I move Sixpence, I seem to put a jinx on the weather every time I go out and it seems to follow me while leaving other boats alone /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif