Anyone live in London? And sail???!!

GunfleetSand

Visit site
To counter the old turnips here that couldn’t wait to leave and as a born and bred Londoner, I’d like to offer up the following.

Great food, pubs, art, free galleries, free exhibitions, museums, cinemas, history, culture, parks, transport, architecture, sport and places of learning to name but a few. When a man is tired of London he is tired of life. I am also in love and beguiled by the sea and all things that float so I get it but there’s a lot to do which is nourishing in London.

Now that’s out of the way, wherever you will plan to sail or live should dictate one or the other. Crossing London takes an hour and it’s not time well spent. Live South sail from Brighton, Live East then East coast for you. Living in West London doesn’t really work for Southampton it’s a bit of a schelp.

Woolwich by car (which are readily available to hire by the hour or day in London ?) might work well for Faversham/Whitstable (both roughly 1 hour) and all of North Kent. Reservoir sailing is great fun and a good place to learn or hone skills. As a rule of thumb anything much over 1 1/2hours travel away is just a bit too much for a day or so away on a boat.

ashtead

Visit site
The problem with Brighton is it not really in Brighton,has silting issues and nowhere near you would sail to -don’t know it’s prices but Eastbourne might be a better bet should you want to avoid the Solent . Clearly Brighton nightlife has some attractions for others though

roblpm

Visit site
To counter the old turnips here that couldn’t wait to leave and as a born and bred Londoner, I’d like to offer up the following.

Great food, pubs, art, free galleries, free exhibitions, museums, cinemas, history, culture, parks, transport, architecture, sport and places of learning to name but a few. When a man is tired of London he is tired of life. I am also in love and beguiled by the sea and all things that float so I get it but there’s a lot to do which is nourishing in London.

Now that’s out of the way, wherever you will plan to sail or live should dictate one or the other. Crossing London takes an hour and it’s not time well spent. Live South sail from Brighton, Live East then East coast for you. Living in West London doesn’t really work for Southampton it’s a bit of a schelp.

Woolwich by car (which are readily available to hire by the hour or day in London ?) might work well for Faversham/Whitstable (both roughly 1 hour) and all of North Kent. Reservoir sailing is great fun and a good place to learn or hone skills. As a rule of thumb anything much over 1 1/2hours travel away is just a bit too much for a day or so away on a boat.

Great post. But..... I have lived in Brixton, Tower Bridge, Kentish Town. And more recently 6 months over the last two years in Bogota. The problem with these massive cities is that in a way you are a prisoner. Maybe I am a neandethal (and probably just proved it by spelling it wrong) but I think in my post 50 years I would really rather be in nature than in a gallery or a restaurant. Just spent 2 months in bogota and spent a fortune eating out.

So London for a few years is a great idea. I have lots of great friends there which will be a great source of mental nourishment. But long term I feel like I have eaten in enough restaurants. Been to enough art galleries and museums....... Need some hills and sea!!

Thanks for your tips. I will research. If we do do it it will be Woolwich I think. It's completely pointless renting something else and continuing to pay tax renting my place there out! It is tiny though!