Any ideas or suggestions on this roof lining issue?

aquaholic

Visit site
Planning on sanding and painting the grp roof lining of my project boat, however the pilot berth looks a bit rough as the roof lining does not run the fill width leaving an exposed fibreglass look which I am hoping to do something with to make it look a tad better, just not sure what I can do?
I was thinking of using white Toplac as I am not a lover of the current off white/cream colour, not sure to what degree the paint will cover the rough section.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EH5lPXPyl...CkA/qnXGbTrNh9E/s1600/2015-12-05+12.32.45.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-l8e3HtIMe...Cjs/hbzSMSYyeFo/s1600/2015-12-05+12.32.33.jpg

Tranona

Visit site
What a horrible mess. Painting will just make it look a cleaner mess. Better to make a vinyl covered panel to hide the mess.

Danny

www.compasscard.co.uk
Many years ago I had a GK29 in which I replaced the head lining (well, it was a Westerly). In the quarter berth I decided that it would be too much of a fight so I stripped the old lining out and painted with a few coats of the thick, crack-filling, type of white emulsion paint. The idea was to get a thick enough layer to give enough insulation to prevent condensation. It was moderately successful in appearance and performance.

Seajet

Visit site
It would be a good idea to take an angle grinder with cutting disc - use goggles and if no power a rechargeable job, think one can hire them from places like Beaver Tool Hire - to those overlength deck fitting bolt ends, or sooner or later they will do someone a serious mischief, almost certainly at a moment you already have your hands full...

Concerto

Visit site
Could you fit a varnished or painted ply panel to the deckhead ?

It would make things a lot prettier to look at and more head-friendly; stiff cardboard is a good way of making a pattern shape template, then bond on battens to screw the ply onto with Sikkaflex and cup washers.

That would be my solution and would look more professional than any paint finish.

BERT T

Visit site
It would be a good idea to take an angle grinder with cutting disc - use goggles and if no power a rechargeable job, think one can hire them from places like Beaver Tool Hire - to those overlength deck fitting bolt ends, or sooner or later they will do someone a serious mischief, almost certainly at a moment you already have your hands full...

Hacksaw------ much cheaper.

rob2

Visit site
I agree those threads on the U-bolt need to come off, but cut them so that you still have a little length over in case you need to remove and refit, then put dome-headed nuts on to offer a blunt end. It looks like something has been removed which used to come through the deck - the lump of yellow foam suggests that it was smoothed over after a hole was filled. It may be a trick of the light that makes it look like foam, though. It looks like there is enough height to make a flat panel to go across and hide all that and still have room to roll over (unless your foot is caught in the water filler hose!).

Rob.