Any first hand experience of Hookah/Hookamax Dive system

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Once again I am pondering whether to learn to dive, and then invest in basic dive kit, or to get a Hookah system

Does anyone have an first hand experience of a Hookah system (and not a DIY pond pump and snorkle)

Thanks

TudorSailor

Pete7

Visit site
Once again I am pondering whether to learn to dive, and then invest in basic dive kit, or to get a Hookah system. Does anyone have an first hand experience of a Hookah system (and not a DIY pond pump and snorkle) Thanks TudorSailor

Can I ask why you want breath underwater? Other than being a fascinating hobby that consumed 25 years of my life, I still carry a basic set of kit on board, just in case. However, if you only want to scrub the hull then fine, but a couple of weekends learning the basics with a PADI or BASC school and some second hand kit will give you greater freedom to enjoy yourself or, get yourself into real trouble.

Pete

affinite

Visit site
I have dive gear on my boat - just for scrubbing the hull etc. Its also fun to just mess around in a shallow, sheltered anchorage.
The biggest problem is getting refills and, where we are based (Eastern Med), when it is time for a cylinder test (every 3 years) its a nightmare - cylinder has to be couriered to to Athens.
Id explore the hooka route if you are away from refills/testing station

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have a power dive , there not cheap , works well and it save me a few times getting out an stuck anchor .
We manly use it to clean the hull , it very handy and you haven got to keep heavy bottles or worry about having the filled or tested .

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Can I ask why you want breath underwater? ..................couple of weekends learning the basics with a PADI or BASC school and some second hand kit will give you greater freedom to enjoy yourself or, get yourself into real trouble.

Pete
Last season in the Aegean, we got the anchor caught on two occasions. One time I managed to use a trip hook to grab the hoop of the Rocna - but the water was crystal clear. The other time needed a diver. The rest of the time used a trip line which I never used! In addition the prop needed a clean after the yacht was in Zea marina for a few weeks. Hard work with just a snorckle.
So I wondered about something better. Microdive may be the answer, but not if I could not get tanks refilled in Greece.
TudorSailor

pmyatt

Visit site
We have had one of these for nearly 10 years:- http://www.airlinebyjsink.com. Works extremely well and allows you to stay in the water (wearing a dry-suit) for however long it takes to clean the hull, fit new anodes etc., etc. Sometimes three hours without surfacing. We also use a full face mask with the regulator on the mask.

stuartwineberg

Visit site
I am a holiday diver (PADI advanced ) and I see the hookah as a good bit of kit for cleaning boat ect but if getting air refills is not a problem my mates dive school has a few of these mini Bs all in one rucksack dive kit http://www.microdive.com/scuba/

Good stuff but don't you love the video with warm water, no current, no swell plus he just happens to be on a dive boat with open side ladder to get out. All just like Osborn bay on a choppy weekend

Pete7

Visit site
I think you could go down either route, but I would do the basic PADI course first because there is a bit of physics you need to know and some time spent practising clearing the mask and learning good snorkelling swimming skills will make you competent in the water. There is a cost, but its a fun thing to do.

Dive show in the UK shortly if you are back in the country: http://www.diveshows.co.uk/

Pete

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
I think you could go down either route, but I would do the basic PADI course first because there is a bit of physics you need to know and some time spent practising clearing the mask and learning good snorkelling swimming skills will make you competent in the water. There is a cost, but its a fun thing to do.

Dive show in the UK shortly if you are back in the country: http://www.diveshows.co.uk/

Pete

As a BSAC DL & Assistant Instructor I fully agree - and there are a few medical questions that you may answer yes to and need a visit to a Dive Doc before starting. I answer Yes to quite a few of the questions on the medical form and the dive doc tells me I'm old, fat, and unfit, but can dive happly using a twinset and stage so a tad heavier than what you will use in training.

GrahamM376

Visit site

Pete

I would agree, there's far more to it than strapping a tank and regulator on, you need to learn to cope when it goes to sh*t.

Tammany

Visit site
How deep does the hookah allow you to go? If snorkelling depth then I doubt you would get that much out of a dive course just to use it if you are confident at snorkelling already. A scrub is only going to be 1-3m and dive course learning really comes into effect after 5m.

Tammany

Visit site
And how often does that happen to someone snorkelling on holiday? Thousands snorkel everyday without incident. Boat cleaning is at snorkelling depths.

DinghyMan

www.ff-systems.co.uk
And how often does that happen to someone snorkelling on holiday? Thousands snorkel everyday without incident. Boat cleaning is at snorkelling depths.

Its more common than you think in dive instructors working in swimming pool depths, usually max 2m, and snorkelling to check anchors can be a good bit deeper than that.

We used to use a 5m pool to teach snorkelling and diving.

fishermantwo

Visit site
Hookahs are very common in Australia for commercial use and recreational use. More than 50% of the yachts in my home port use them. The professional scallop divers use hookahs and also use air to propel their cages. I have never heard of any accidents with hookahs, plenty with scuba. The only thing you have to do with a hookah is keep breathing, don't hold your breath particularly when changing depths. If you can consistently keep breathing then you are a qualified hookah diver.

Skylark

Visit site
Whichever you choose, get some training. I've been a BSAC diver for almost 30 years and very supportive of their training ethos. Of course, there are other agencies so the choice is yours.

Assuming that you're medically fit to dive you simply need to be aware that even in the shallows the effect of Boyles Law can give rise to various barotraumas.

Descending, until equalised, the pressure build-up can cause barotrauma of the eye (due to mask squeeze) and ear drum. I have personally witnessed a diving buddy burst an ear drum at 3m.

Ascending, the increasing volume of air could cause an embolism. Taking a full breath at depth, holding it while ascending could cause over inflation of the lungs.

No melodrama, just awareness. It's a fantastic privilege to witness the Silent World and it complements and enhances the pleasure of sailing.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk

Pete

Perfect timing. As I live in London, getting to Excel is easy. I wonder if there will be anyone selling Hookah systems at the show...

TudorSailor

JohnGC

Visit site

You cannot compare snorkelling and breathing compressed air like this. The danger of lung over expansion injury when breathing compressed air near the surface is significant. The danger when snorkelling is zero.

When snorkelling, you breathe in at the surface. Then when you dive, the increasing water pressure compresses the lungs. (It also increases the amount of O2 the body is able to extract from the air.) The lungs are happy to be collapsed like this; it's what happens normally when you breathe out.

When breathing in compressed air at depth, the lungs expand to a "normal" extent. Then if you decrease your depth while holding your breath, the reducing pressure allows your lungs to expand further. That can lead to significant expansion injury. It is most significant close to the surface where the pressure ratios change most quickly.

I was taught never hold my breath while breathing compressed air and to be particularly careful while ascending near the surface.

The danger with compressed air diving near the surface to work, is that you hold your breath while undoing a tight or awkward nut and don't notice that you're still holding it while you ascend. Or even that you are ascending.

I'm not saying don't do it. But training makes you aware of these things.