Any cruisers using/used winlink on ham radio for long distance email?

GHA

Visit site
My ham set has not really done much for a long time til some recent ocean passages & then only for wfax, played with winlink before & great but slow, til I bought Vara HF the other day, big difference!!
EA5HVK

That's with 2 or 3 nice strong stations available though, but what about further afield?

Winlink position reports seem pretty global so seems like it should work OK everywhere (apart from the US who are scared of everything 🙄)

So has anyone cruised using winlink?
How was it?

Thinking mainly for getting some gribs offshore & letting someone know I'm still floating now & then.

thnx 👍

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Hello,
from the time abyss of the forum :)
First Atlantic crossing with Winmor HF/no-modem email
Now with Vara (though not moving big distances for the moment).
A growing number of cms/land stations, at the time Canadian station VE1YZ was one of the most consistent and covered us all transatlantics till South Brazil, about 8-9k km distance. US stations were ok for Position reports and saildocs queries, I never attempted any other type of message that might possibly look as third-party for fear of being blocked.

GHA

Visit site
Hello,
from the time abyss of the forum :)
First Atlantic crossing with Winmor HF/no-modem email
Now with Vara (though not moving big distances for the moment).
A growing number of cms/land stations, at the time Canadian station VE1YZ was one of the most consistent and covered us all transatlantics till South Brazil, about 8-9k km distance. US stations were ok for Position reports and saildocs queries, I never attempted any other type of message that might possibly look as third-party for fear of being blocked.
Thanks Roberto, thought you might if anyone did 😁
And that reply could not be more precise, exactly what I was interested in, South American availability. Which seems fine, great 👍
And found your blog which is now with some others in the cruise planning notes 😎
Noforeignland is great for that as well, quite often there will be links to blog posts at the bottom of an anchorage details page.

Did you get any weatherfax down there?

Though still thinking of some online python to grab a few 500mB & synoptic images off the web & shrink them right down then save somewhere online to be downloaded over HF using saildocs. 👍

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Did you get any weatherfax down there?

Though still thinking of some online python to grab a few 500mB & synoptic images off the web & shrink them right down then save somewhere online to be downloaded over HF using saildocs. 👍
At the time, Brasil was officially supposed to send SLP and SLP+24h charts via fax, though I could never receive them (nor hear any signal). Instead, via email I queried FleetCode files from the Brazilian Navy, quite nice product: small bit size, ITCZ position/intensity, text forecasts for various sub-areas of Metarea V and a very nice synthetic SLP chart of the whole South Atlantic (though of little interest to me, we remained in the tropical area). Unfortunately they stopped making them available.

Brasil SLP charts are available here (and nice too), but at >200kb it would be either Starlink or some crop/resize :)
c24062800.png

Reactions: GHA

GHA

Visit site
At the time, Brasil was officially supposed to send SLP and SLP+24h charts via fax, though I could never receive them (nor hear any signal). Instead, via email I queried FleetCode files from the Brazilian Navy, quite nice product: small bit size, ITCZ position/intensity, text forecasts for various sub-areas of Metarea V and a very nice synthetic SLP chart of the whole South Atlantic (though of little interest to me, we remained in the tropical area). Unfortunately they stopped making them available.

Brasil SLP charts are available here (and nice too), but at >200kb it would be either Starlink or some crop/resize :)
Thnx.

This is shrunk down to 7.5% & converted to black & white with a quick few lines of python, size now 12.5K. 5% is 6K.
Blurry but still readable & very useful so could well be worth an evening getting some python to run in the cloud & make your own synoptics for saildocs to download over HF :cool:

Thanks for the info 👍

Attachments

• 1719573611035.png
    1719573611035.png
    262.8 KB · Views: 4