Antifreeze, different colours?

Ian_Edwards

Visit site
Having successfully manage buy a suitable oil for the Yamnar 4JH4E, I now need 10L of antifreeze.
The lower hose on the fresh water cooling system is leaking. I have a new hose and hose clamps, but when I take the hose off, all the coolant will drain out.
I've been using Yanmar branded orange coloured antifreeze.1000010293.jpg
I'm fairly sure I should be able to buy an equivalent from the local garage, but what to ask for, besides it being orange?
Are there different types of orange antifreeze and if there, are can you mix them?

VicS

Visit site
Generally you should not mix the old low silicate type antifreeze with the more recent "advanced"/ "long life"/ "OAT" type although there are some universal coolants that can be mixed with either .

You should be using the OAT type in your Yanmar

The colour is not an entirely reliable guide to the type but the older type is usually blue or green while the OAT types are generally red or yellow . Read the spec rather than looking at the colour.

pandos

Visit site
Generally you should not mix the old low silicate type antifreeze with the more recent "advanced"/ "long life"/ "OAT" type although there are some universal coolants that can be mixed with either .

You should be using the OAT type in your Yanmar

The colour is not an entirely reliable guide to the type but the older type is usually blue or green while the OAT types are generally red or yellow . Read the spec rather than looking at the colour.
There is a green Prestone, which can be used and mixed with either. It's what I have used in everything for the last 15 years and so far no ill effects...

bluerm166

Visit site
Presumably you will explore the written specification and use recommendations for any antifreeze before you buy.
Apart from anti freeze qualities there is the question of its use as a coolant ,for how long it remains effective,whether it is said to protect or damage the metals in your engine and the compatibility described above.A flush through should remove the last concern.

Last edited: