Antifouling question

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have coppercoat on my hull :cry: . I have just fitted a new saildrive & last year i painted this with trilux. I have enough to repeat the process. I am more than happy with Trilux so do not intend to change that this year.
However, In the past i have filled the void around the sail drive with sponge to make a flush surface & coated it with grease. This has worked very well. But as I had a new rubber outer gasket with the saildrive I fitted that & I am pleased to say that unlike past seasons, it has stayed the course.
What I want to know is -what do forumites advise as the best option for antifoul to the rubber gasket. Obviously not coppercoat as that would require the purchase of a repair pack & probably not bond anyway. I tried Trilux last year but it flaked off. Although this may be due to over enthusiastic jetwashing on haulout last year.
Any experiences please.

V1701

Visit site
No experience of this but I think I'd be inclined to try the same grease that worked well with the sponge on the rubber gasket...

johnalison

Visit site
I don't put anything on it other than what gets onto it from the adjacent hull. This doesn't seem to do any harm and I've not seen significant fouling. I hadn't really thought about it.

Neeves

Visit site
I painted the gasket and sail drive with Trilux and more recently with Velox (which has a similar chemistry but more of the AF ingredient (higher concentration) to Trilux. I dispensed with Volvo gaskets and used printers blankets (which are a rubber coated fabric about 2mm thick) and had no issues with Trilux or Velox sticking. I confess I was never enamoured with either Trilux nor Velox, just best of a bad bunch and better than nothing (that I also tried, along with Prop Speed).

Jonathan

Refueler

Visit site
So can you recommend a flexible rubberised antifoul paint?
But bear in mind that 60% of the area is stuck to the hull & has little chance to flex. Unlike the part immediately around the Sdrive over the hole.

Don't be silly - I was just commenting on getting anything to stick to rubber .. that may flex.

If it doesn't flex - then fine use what ever at hand

Other threads that may be of interest